• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

SIII Dash Panel and Gauges Refurb

j50

In Fourth Gear
A while back, I got a bug to see if I could install LEDs in the dash panel. Today, I took the panel off and found some degradation and rust, so I sand blasted the bits, blacked out the bezels and generally cleaned up some. Also used some vinyl dye on the rubber and plastic parts. Anyone have experience with the dye? The clerk at the parts house says it works real well.

Before

photo4_zps5ae825b1.jpg

The reset cable has a kink and must be replaced - there are 5 LEDs set in copper tabs and riveted to the case. I used five because of the small spaces available for light to come through, generally, around the sides and at the interface between the inner gauge face and outer. Five is enough.

photo3_zps16bbb10c.jpg

Notice the LEDs installed - work great! This is before I sand blasted the case. With the blue paint gone, I gave a couple of coats of clear engine enamel, hoping to provide a bit more reflectivity

photo5_zpsc77bc883.jpg

Back side of gauge face coated with aluminum.

photo6_zpsee03351f.jpg

Back together- bexel blacked out.

photo7_zpsf84e4166.jpg

After vinyl dye and cleaned up gauges - pew more steps- LEDs illum the turns and warning lights, too.

photo_zpse88ba416.jpg

LEDs on - before, the speedometer was so dimly illuminated, it was hard to see. With 5- 12v LEDs, it's no problem. This photo was taken at dusk.

photo2_zps3243953e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom