• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

steveseries72 - S3 88 rebuild

Remember Bob? My old Dad who was down visiting last July when I was welding new dumb irons on the chassis…..
Well he’s back for a week, wanted to get stuck into the Land Rover again and said the first thing he packed in his case was his work clothes - top man!!!!

Spent a lovely afternoon with him, a year older, still a good laugh with a wicked sense of humour. We got on with the first couple of skims of filler in the bulkhead, chatting, laughing & a bit of larking around but got plenty done. Great father son bonding even at our ages! Good memories.

View attachment 318200

The sign behind doesn’t apply to him btw 😂😂.
Looking forward to having this done, get it painted and fitted. Big thanks to @Neil for answering all my questions about brush and roller painting so comprehensively and speedily.

Tools down for the day, a pint and fish n’ chips are calling 😊
I'm liking your end of day activities. Since hearing that Black Sheep brewery is struggling I have been doing my bit.
Thank you for the kind mention.

Remember Bob? My old Dad who was down visiting last July when I was welding new dumb irons on the chassis…..
Well he’s back for a week, wanted to get stuck into the Land Rover again and said the first thing he packed in his case was his work clothes - top man!!!!

Spent a lovely afternoon with him, a year older, still a good laugh with a wicked sense of humour. We got on with the first couple of skims of filler in the bulkhead, chatting, laughing & a bit of larking around but got plenty done. Great father son bonding even at our ages! Good memories.

View attachment 318200

The sign behind doesn’t apply to him btw 😂😂.
Looking forward to having this done, get it painted and fitted. Big thanks to @Neil for answering all my questions about brush and roller painting so comprehensively and speedily.

Tools down for the day, a pint and fish n’ chips are calling 😊
Love this mate great memories to be had there ..👍

On with the bulkhead filling and prepping for paint the past couple of days. Fill, flat back, clean, repeat until the hollows are gone. Front of the bulkhead completed and a couple of pinholes welded up on the reverse side before doing the same.
It is boring, tedious work but needs to be done. I took a couple of hours away from it this afternoon to relieve the monotony and cleaned / painted the starter motor. I checked it was all okay first, operates correctly and spins but crikey it was filthy so cleaned rubbed down before a zinc etch on the casing and a couple of coats of matt black to finish. Ally casing cleaned to finish. No photos unfortunately as phone left indoors.

Been ages since I last posted any sort of update on here and work stalled for a while over the summer because of ‘paid’ trimming work for customers cars, a 3 week break in France for most of June before a six week push to finish all those snagging jobs off in the house, boarding up some rarely used double doors downstairs, plastering, decorating and creation of a downstairs bedroom. The end result is the house is finished after nearly five years of hard work and money & a week later we found another project despite not really looking. Yes, you’ve guessed it, our house went on the market, sold and process underway to move to the next moneypit.
It then dawned on me that the Landy is in no fit state to be moved as is, a rolling chassis with gearbox and prop shafts fitted so I ordered a clutch from LOF as already had the replacement rear main seal kit, NOS from Blanchards.
I spent the best part of twelve hours last week cleaning the block by hand as it had about 1/4” of grease, crud and congealed oil accumulation on it. The original paint is still there, I am going to repaint it but haven’t the time at the moment.
Today I bit the bullet and replaced the rear main seal and to say it was an utter b*itch of a job is an understatement even with the engine on a stand. Fitting the spring was easy, getting the split seal around the crank was next to impossible and fitting the spring into the seal took what seemed a lifetime. I refitted the rear main cap without the T seals instead opting to use Loctite RTV as per Mike @ Britannica Restorations video, preloaded in the slots before forcing more in by thumb until the void fills and starts to seep from the hole inside the block by the crankshaft web. 2 1/2 hours to get this far.....
Engine onto the crane, flywheel housing on, flywheel and clutch fitted before engine back in after lunch and it seems a milestone reached. I refitted the inlet/exhaust manifolds with the carb as one unit and the newly refurbished starter motor. This will have to come off at a later date to paint the block, but right now it is easier to have as much fitted as possible to a rolling chassis as it saves me loading a trailer with small bits to move and could end up being misplaced.
A bit of a marathon day and feeling it now but tomorrow is another day as they say. Plan is to get the bulkhead on, flick a can of grey primer over the repairs which have been filled and look at retrieving the tub from the shed to get that on at some point over the weekend. Most of the remaining parts can be loaded in the tub and my trailer and it should make the move easier.
The new house is a good couple of years work, very old, very tired (which in all honesty is probably how I see myself at the end of all this) , this means work on the Landy will be more sporadic over that time and my time on this forum will be a little less frequent. I really hope to get a good balance though as things progress to make time for a day or two a week to get this restoration finished as well as keeping up with everyone’s news and progress on here.
Pictures to follow from this update hopefully tomorrow

Hello Steve, you have done well, we closed here as a pub in December 2002 and decided to refurbish, almost no maintenance had been carried out in many many years plus a very bad alteration internally, one saving grace was a very good rewire had been done, here we are now (20 years later) and the work is finished 🤞, a lot of money spent a lot of tears and laughter, result a lovely home and no it's not for sale. Colin

List of things not to do during a restoration:
1: move house.
I will be keeping an eye open for progress.
Presumably your new home has a workshop/garage wherein you will be able to continue the job in comfort? I realise comfort is a relative term when it comes to laying on the floor beneath an aged vehicle during the winter months.
At least the "fur" coat the engine was wearing will have helped preserve it.
Good luck with the move, let's hope the new place isn't quite as bad as you think.

Hello Steve, you have done well, we closed here as a pub in December 2002 and decided to refurbish, almost no maintenance had been carried out in many many years plus a very bad alteration internally, one saving grace was a very good rewire had been done, here we are now (20 years later) and the work is finished 🤞, a lot of money spent a lot of tears and laughter, result a lovely home and no it's not for sale. Colin
List of things not to do during a restoration:
1: move house.
I will be keeping an eye open for progress.
Presumably your new home has a workshop/garage wherein you will be able to continue the job in comfort? I realise comfort is a relative term when it comes to laying on the floor beneath an aged vehicle during the winter months.
At least the "fur" coat the engine was wearing will have helped preserve it.
Good luck with the move, let's hope the new place isn't quite as bad as you think.
Thanks Gents.
I seem to have made a habit of this in that this is the seventh time we have moved to renovate a property, but this will be the last, firstly because I’m getting too old to do it, secondly because my wife has threatened me with a horrible end to my life should I find the desire to put her through it again. 🤣
To answer your question Neil I currently have a 22’ square garage which is lovely albeit cold in the winter, I will only have a single garage but at 22’ x 12’ it should enable me to continue hopefully with enough space. The one main advantage is the house needs reinsulating therefore the plan is to incorporate the garage into those works complete with boarding out, proper lighting and a couple of radiators too thus providing a year round facility. On a list, yes the timing of a move is not ideal but I would rather do it now and have the ability to provide a nice place in the location we both really want before getting too advanced in years to do it.
Of course yours would be for sale Colin, there is always a price!!!

Thanks Gents.
I seem to have made a habit of this in that this is the seventh time we have moved to renovate a property, but this will be the last, firstly because I’m getting too old to do it, secondly because my wife has threatened me with a horrible end to my life should I find the desire to put her through it again. 🤣
To answer your question Neil I currently have a 22’ square garage which is lovely albeit cold in the winter, I will only have a single garage but at 22’ x 12’ it should enable me to continue hopefully with enough space. The one main advantage is the house needs reinsulating therefore the plan is to incorporate the garage into those works complete with boarding out, proper lighting and a couple of radiators too thus providing a year round facility. On a list, yes the timing of a move is not ideal but I would rather do it now and have the ability to provide a nice place in the location we both really want before getting too advanced in years to do it.
Of course yours would be for sale Colin, there is always a price!!!
Yes Steve, at some stage we will have to downsize, no more rebuilds though, at 79 I don't have the energy or health to do another rebuild, my eldest son has suggested building a bungalow which he would do, we will certainly think about it, perhaps next year. Colin

Photos from yesterday and this morning. I had a rattle can of white primer which was about 3/4 full so emptied this on the bulkhead to protect the repairs completed to date. This needs seam sealing and a bit more filling and flatting before paint which will be a while off.
Engine in, manifolds attached and starter motor, all this will come out to paint the block and head at a later date.
IMG_3982.jpeg
IMG_3983.jpeg
IMG_3984.jpeg

all looks very good and the engine is surprisingly clean.
A bit surprising that a '72 model has a 3 bearing engine though?
Must admit to not having thought about that Neil, I thought they were all 3 bearing until late ‘70’s or 1980?
Maybe somebody more qualified than me can advise the changeover date.

Sorry losing my mind, series 3 production had just started in 1972.
I had convinced myself that production stopped in 1973.
Glencoyne engineering might have the definitive answer.
According to James Taylor Series III production started in October 1971, the five bearing engine (petrol) was not available until December 1980, some four months after the introduction of the five bearing diesel engine.

IMG_3990.jpeg

No, not a moment of madness, nor achieved by ignoring the assembly instructions in a workshop manual 😂
As some of you know I’m in the process of moving and had to get some of the series reassembled in an effort to get it mobile and to save moving a pile of parts.
That said, knowing how candlelike the headlamps are on these old trucks it probably wouldn’t affect forward vision at night in any way whatsoever!

A great read, and really good work to date. I hope the move went well and you can return to your restoration soon. I'm just about the start my own restoration on a very sorry looking 1972 88" diesel so reading others endeavours like this thread is always inspiring. :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom