• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Stuck in gear

Fulltimedad

Extreme Landy Fan
Big Sandy suggested I start a thread about my transmission problems and that he may be able to place the replies so far into this new thread so here it is.
Story so far is replaced clutch master cylinder 4 weeks ago as it was leaking . 2 weeks later I ended up driving home stuck in third gear . If I stopped with engine on and clutch pressed down then raised the clutch to biting point it would clonk and then come out of gear and let me select a gear but then jam again. I replaced clutch slave cylinder as thought would be clutch related but no difference .

And a quick edit from Big Sandy to say...I think I have all the relevant posts in this thread. Hopefully in the order they were posted. Still, all the relevant info is in one place. Starting with......

Clutch slave cylinder. I knew it was a horrible job from last time and I was right . Got it off easy enough as floors are up so top bolt easy from inside. Could not get the metal feed pipe to screw on new one so took it off from the flexi and hey presto right angle and straight on . Just bled it so transmission tunnel and floors back in tomorrow and I can see if I have gears again . Interestingly when I tried to drain old cylinder to prevent a brake fluid shower I opened the bleed nipple and nothing came out . Left it for 10 minutes but nothing so wondering if I had a bubble of air stuck in the cylinder .

Last edited by a moderator:
frustrating day as didn’t have long so put transmission tunnel and drivers floor in and went for a short drive , very short as still no gears 😡 Will go in all 5 gears with engine off but with it running goes into first or reverse ok then jams when I try and change gear. Am I right in saying it’s clutch rather than gearbox ? Checked through clutch inspection hole and you can see clutch moving so I’m guessing just not enough to take pressure off gearbox . So still not back on the road 😡

I get your frustration. I would have thought if it was clutch you would have difficulty selecting 1st & reverse or even experienced ‘creep’ where the clutch wasn’t disengaging fully.

Try taking the little cover off of the top of the transfer box and put the transfer box in neutral. With the engine off, put it in gear and put your foot on the clutch then start the engine.

The output shaft of the gearbox shouldn't move and if it does should be stoppable by the slightest pressure on the gear. Try going through the gears with the transfer box in neutral. I'm wondering if the driven plate isn't fully disengaging from the flywheel or pressure plate.

What exactly do you mean by "jams when I try and change gear."..? does it feel like a 'solid' jam..? is the lever not moving over at all or is it baulking..?

Im inclined to think selectors... but unclear how this would be OK when stopped..

What exactly do you mean by "jams when I try and change gear."..? does it feel like a 'solid' jam..? is the lever not moving over at all or is it baulking..?

Im inclined to think selectors... but unclear how this would be OK when stopped..
Thanks mikeau . When it’s in a gear and I depress clutch and try and change gear the gear-lever is solid . If I try by force it whirrs as if it’s still under pressure .

Try taking the little cover off of the top of the transfer box and put the transfer box in neutral. With the engine off, put it in gear and put your foot on the clutch then start the engine.

The output shaft of the gearbox shouldn't move and if it does should be stoppable by the slightest pressure on the gear. Try going through the gears with the transfer box in neutral. I'm wondering if the driven plate isn't fully disengaging from the flywheel or pressure plate.
Thanks erubus . That sounds like a bombproof way of checking if it’s clutch - don’t have that detailed understanding of gearboxes to have worked that out by myself - thank you. I guess it’s floor and tunnel off again - I’ll get quicker each time 😄

Thanks erubus . That sounds like a bombproof way of checking if it’s clutch - don’t have that detailed understanding of gearboxes to have worked that out by myself - thank you. I guess it’s floor and tunnel off again - I’ll get quicker each time 😄
Just take out the centre seat, unless you have a centre tool box, don't know how easy they are to take out.

frustrating day as didn’t have long so put transmission tunnel and drivers floor in and went for a short drive , very short as still no gears 😡 Will go in all 5 gears with engine off but with it running goes into first or reverse ok then jams when I try and change gear. Am I right in saying it’s clutch rather than gearbox ? Checked through clutch inspection hole and you can see clutch moving so I’m guessing just not enough to take pressure off gearbox . So still not back on the road 😡
Did you find the reason for no fluid when you removed the cylinder if not have you replaced the flexible hose they can collapse inside preventing flow.

Did you find the reason for no fluid when you removed the cylinder if not have you replaced the flexible hose they can collapse inside preventing flow.
thanks for the reply serious series . No obvious reason for lack of fluid , I assumed it was just air stuck in the slave cylinder. Haven’t replaced flexi as I’d set my mind on it being the slave cylinder but clearly I was wrong . I’ll see if I can get a flexi locally and if not order one and fit it .

The output shaft of the gearbox shouldn't move and if it does should be stoppable by the slightest pressure on the gear.

Just a (very obvious) warning that you should be extremely careful if trying to stop gears/shafts moving, either with your fingers (or anything else that may get mashed up) if you find they are being driven by the engine when they shouldnt be! :eek:

Just take out the centre seat, unless you have a centre tool box, don't know how easy they are to take out.
Thank you erubus. Sorry getting mixed up with square cover at seat end of gearbox selector cover 😳 no tool box so I’ll take centre seat out and use your method to see if it’s turning

Checked through clutch inspection hole and you can see clutch moving so I’m guessing just not enough to take pressure off gearbox

Reading through it I'm also thinking it's possibly the clutch, though as usual there's a 'but' in there among the thoughts :rolleyes:

Have you had the clutch slave cyl off along the way ? Because, (terrible technical description alert) the lever that pushes the release bearing, has a plastic clip and cup on it that the slave cyl rod pushes into. If that clip falls off or wears through, gets lost in the frenzy of a rebuild, you can get a clutch that feels ok(ish) on the pedal but the slave and lever mech isn't pushing the release bearing far enough. The clutch looks like it's working through the spyhole, and it is...it's just not working well enough :) Another under a fiver component that can stop many thousands of pounds worth of vehicle from working......

<here it comes>
But.... If the selector forks have come slightly out of adjustment they wont allow gear selection, it's a normal human reaction to try and push the stick harder, which pushes the selectors ever so slightly more out of adjustment and on it goes in a loop until you're swinging like an ape from the shifter :D
Worth checking in there 1st because it's an in the cab sitting down job...everything else involves going underneath and some head banging opportunities :eek: be very careful with fingers, gear mechanism's eat them like bbq sausages ;)

Hi freqmikey. Thanks for the detailed response . It started with a leaking clutch master cylinder which I replaced and then was ok for a few days then notchy then got stuck in gear - drives ok but lever is solid and won’t move. Suspected slave cylinder so replaced that - was careful with pushrod as I’d read they can fall off and are difficult to put back on . Bled but no difference .
I can select all gears with engine off but only the first gear after start up then lever is solid . Is it possible for gears to select with engine off if selectors are out of adjustment?
So I think my assumption of slave cylinder at fault after master cylinder which was leaking was wrong .
I readjusted the clutch pedal free play last night as thought perhaps there was too much but don’t know if that’s helped yet.
I’m going to rebleed clutch later just in case it’s an air bubble moving around then work through all the really helpfully advice I’ve had on here .
I’m hoping it’s not selectors as that may mean seat box out to take off selector cover off so big job.
I’ll get there 🤞😄

Is it possible for gears to select with engine off if selectors are out of adjustment?
Sadly, yes... because with engine off everything is stationary....with the crank and clutch spinning the primary gear turns and turns the layshaft and>>>on through the box. And as soon as you've got one gear on the mainshaft it all spins....
Even more sadly it could still be either the selector adjustment or the clutch operation.
I've found it easier to bleed the clutch (old skool style) with a very long piece of pvc tube into a jar, and a cup of tea. The very long tube allows you to put the jar on the wing-top and see when you've created a bubble free system and the cup of tea makes you take your time and relax while you hold the pedal all the way down for a few moments as you do the job ;)

Hi freqmikey. Thanks for the detailed response . It started with a leaking clutch master cylinder which I replaced and then was ok for a few days then notchy then got stuck in gear - drives ok but lever is solid and won’t move. Suspected slave cylinder so replaced that - was careful with pushrod as I’d read they can fall off and are difficult to put back on . Bled but no difference .

Hmmm... They can be an absolute b1tch to bleed properly... are you sure you have all the air out..?

Hmmm... They can be an absolute b1tch to bleed properly... are you sure you have all the air out..?
Well I thought I had using the easybleed but noting what you say about them being b1tch to bleed and freqmikeys advice on using old school method of bleeding I’m going to start there then if no joy start to delve deeper .

Thats going to be the easiest/cheapest fault to find and cure, so defo start there!

Does the slave have the bleed nipple at the top or the bottom..? if its been fitted with the bleed nipple at the bottom then its going to be almost impossible to get all the air out!

Back
Top Bottom