• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

General The workshop adventures of Miffy the 110

Are the buildings around you not yours.. There looks to be shelter at least just behind you in that photo..
I can't bring myself to go out and work in this weather I'm afraid.. Just to cold..
I'll be asking my son for a bit more time in his unit if this keeps up.. Nice big space htr in there as well👍
No sadly not. They belong to the estate I rent off, but they are there for the farm hands to park under... It is a case of sooooo close, but so far away all at the same time :rofl: :rofl: My next place will have a bathroom a bed room a kitchen and a 4 car garage ;)

No sadly not. They belong to the estate I rent off, but they are there for the farm hands to park under... It is a case of sooooo close, but so far away all at the same time :rofl: :rofl: My next place will have a bathroom a bed room a kitchen and a 4 car garage ;)
Ahh..
I know there isn't much sense in having regrets in life.. But I honestly believe just about my only one serious one will be never having a good sized workshop with a pit or a lift.. Settled in where I am and have been for thick end of 40 years or more and couldn't bring myself to move to somewhere I could have had a workshop..
I've worked on my own motors all my life.. Through necessity at times but an interest and hobby as well.. I try not to dwell on that now.. All to late 😏

I hope the forum gods forgive me for not being outside fixing Miffy today 🥶🥶

IMG_5731.jpeg

Ahh..
I know there isn't much sense in having regrets in life.. But I honestly believe just about my only one serious one will be never having a good sized workshop with a pit or a lift.. Settled in where I am and have been for thick end of 40 years or more and couldn't bring myself to move to somewhere I could have had a workshop..
I've worked on my own motors all my life.. Through necessity at times but an interest and hobby as well.. I try not to dwell on that now.. All to late 😏
Winter weather here in Canada pretty much makes a heated workshop/garage a necessity for those of us who like to (or have to) tinker.
As for the size of the shop I've come to the realization that it doesn't much matter - I will fill it to the brim with "important items" however large it may be. When I see pictures of workspaces with room to move I'm not envious as I know those folks just haven't had it long enough to make it too small. 🤣

Winter weather here in Canada pretty much makes a heated workshop/garage a necessity for those of us who like to (or have to) tinker.
As for the size of the shop I've come to the realization that it doesn't much matter - I will fill it to the brim with "important items" however large it may be. When I see pictures of workspaces with room to move I'm not envious as I know those folks just haven't had it long enough to make it too small. 🤣
Completely agree the bigger space you have the more you seem to fill it with. Having no shop anymore has really made me slim down to essential gear only and “making hay whilst the sun shines” 🤣🤣

Well my workshop (ie the back lane is occupied outside my back door today.. Some tradesmen with a van working at a neighbours.. It would be rude to start washing the truck.. They have power tools lying around all over😩
I contented myself with sticking a coat of (wait for it🤣) hammerite on my new winch bumper, and gave my pedal lock a coat as well. It's only been waiting two years for a paint after I modified it with a second lock 👍😭
Had a look at a couple of Differentials I'll get round to fitting in the summer.. One e locker and a atb..
I'd be scared to tot up the value of that lot but I got a little help from family at Xmas 😊
20240120_143447.jpg
20240120_143517.jpg
20240120_143529.jpg

Well I think I have managed to source the correct 3/8NPT male to 3/8 BSP female adapter for the temperature probe... Possibly.

And Mudstuff are posting out a replacement MudPod plastic upper so I can re-jig that bit of the setup. I seem to remember that the pod is a right sod to cut though. I have a feeling it was drills and hole saws rather than stanley blades.
Balls... It is not a 3/8 NPT male to 3/8 BSP female... So it could be a 3/8 NPT female instead. Hey-ho, I will sort it in the end...

Balls... It is not a 3/8 NPT male to 3/8 BSP female... So it could be a 3/8 NPT female instead. Hey-ho, I will sort it in the end...
Are you sure about the npt.. Is that common over here🤔
Do you have a thtead gauge.. Might help..
3/8 bsp is 19tpi
The 3/8npt would be 18 tpi but a different thread form as well I think.. Ie 60 deg

Are you sure about the npt.. Is that common over here🤔
Do you have a thtead gauge.. Might help..
3/8 bsp is 19tpi
The 3/8npt would be 18 tpi but a different thread form as well I think.. Ie 60 deg
The gauge is a Canadian item and I know from Roamerdrive that the thread on the extended sump drain plug is 3/8 NPT. I should know tomorrow anyway as that is when the replacement adapter arrives :thumbsup:

On to the MudStuff Mud Pod re-design...

This is how the current setup looks. The switches are about to move down to the centre dash and the Overdrive temp gauge is moving into the pod.

IMG_5827.jpeg

This is the plan for the Mud Pod

MudPod Gauges v2.jpg

There will slo be a second USB-C charge post on the Riverside side of the pod for my phone holder/charger. Should work I think...

The battery monitor is a TBC at the moment.

so the adapter is just to set the depth of the probe, as the nut on the probe is the same thread as the adapter :confused: .. is that right??
Yes and no. The adapter provides the sealing surface for the probe and that rear nut is what tightens it all down. I do not know whether it will need a thin copper washer between the probe and the adapter or not or perhaps a smear of RTV might do the job.

Have to say I cannot wait to get this gauge installed so I can free up the other temp sensor on the Madman gauge for the R380 gearbox. Curiosity makes me wonder just how hot the R380 actually gets and whether I will be able to see when the R380 cooler is operational.

Plus... Who doesn't enjoy having gauges galore on their dash... :rofl: :rofl:

Edit... Even in this storm Amazon are delivering :eek: :eek: 52mm hole saw just turned up...

Id also be interested to know what gearbox temps you see.
I never see the LT77 get very hot, even on a motorway slog in Summer.
All I know is that the gearbox cooler gets too hot to touch on a hot long run. It will be interesting to know how hot...

im toying with the idea of a oil pressure gauge...its the only thing I can't read directly off the phone when im running torque...and of course I have no gearbox oil temp info...but not sure that is that important in the uk

The oil pressure gauge is one of the two that has saved Miffys engine. The other was the coolant alarm.

The pressure sensor led to diagnosing that the engine oil pressure relief valve was partially stuck open and at idle Miffy was getting almost no oil pressure. That was a sand grain in the valve.

The coolant alarm went off quick enough that I was able to prevent a complete engine meltdown on the motorway due to a faulty head gasket. I wouldn't be without either. The rest are just nice to have.

Back
Top Bottom