• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

General The workshop adventures of Miffy the 110

Id also be interested to know what gearbox temps you see.
I never see the LT77 get very hot, even on a motorway slog in Summer.
If I remember I'll check the transmission cases with a thermal image camera thingy, but I suppose best left till is been worked hard in the summer to get an idea of max temp's..
It's an effective device and good for checking on the cooling system to see the engine and hose temp's..
1694852527310_100.JPG

Let this be a lesson boy and girls.

Buy right, buy once is the moral.

A good while ago now I fitted a Provent 200 to Miffy and for some unknown reason and I cannot fathom what I was thinking, I fitted plastic hose joiners :rofl: What a prat...

Well you can guess what inevitably happened, the darned things warped, went square and the hoses vibrated apart. I think I remember the moment as there was a boost stutter.

So the fix is obvious, two brass straight hose connectors with serious barbs on them. They'll never vibrate loose again and just in time for the BIG snow of 2024...

IMG_5927.jpegIMG_5926.jpegIMG_5925.jpegIMG_5924.jpegIMG_5923.jpegIMG_5922.jpeg

Let this be a lesson boy and girls.

Buy right, buy once is the moral.

A good while ago now I fitted a Provent 200 to Miffy and for some unknown reason and I cannot fathom what I was thinking, I fitted plastic hose joiners :rofl: What a prat...

Well you can guess what inevitably happened, the darned things warped, went square and the hoses vibrated apart. I think I remember the moment as there was a boost stutter.

So the fix is obvious, two brass straight hose connectors with serious barbs on them. They'll never vibrate loose again and just in time for the BIG snow of 2024...

View attachment 520705View attachment 520706View attachment 520707View attachment 520708View attachment 520709View attachment 520710
That seems strange.. I would not have any concerns about plastic joints in that system.. 🤔.. Not highly stressed or overly hot.. As long as they were oil resistant..

im toying with the idea of a oil pressure gauge...its the only thing I can't read directly off the phone when im running torque...and of course I have no gearbox oil temp info...but not sure that is that important in the uk
Saved me stopping and getting recovered soon after I rebuilt the petrol engine so I’m so pleased I fitted the oil pressure gauge .

Ten miles from home with the boy in the landy and the oil pressure light came on . First just at idle then all the time . Thankfully the pressure gauge showed normal pressure.

Faulty almost new sender unit to blame . We were quite rural so a recovery would have been a right pain (and of course the amber flashing light shame when you arrive home 🤣🤣)

Well, Miffy has been pressed into action this past few weeks as she is helping us move house. Well she couldn't just sit there idle could she :D

Loaded to the fore tops and honestly you wouldn't really know, she just keeps on trucking on. I think this is one of the best things about the old Defender, it just does the job come rain come shine come stuffed to the roof with service items, spares and the garden shed :rofl:

But, I couldn't leave her unrewarded now could I... :rofl:

For a while now I have been thinking about removing the Puma front seats (yes I know I only refurbed them last summer) and refitting the standard TD5 seats with Techno cloth. I know it will be considered a weird decision as XS is better, right?!

Do not get me wrong the half fleather Puma seats are very smart looking but I do find that I sit perched on the seats rather than in the seats. The problem is that in winter the fleather is hard and cold, then in the summer it scalds the backs of your thighs :rofl: So, yesterday whilst taking the small dog to the vets for wormers I swung by a guy that had a pair of decent looking TD5 front seats for sale. Decent price too. A quick tickle with the mini Rug Doctor carpet cleaner and they are clean once again.

A7268A88-A57F-4A9E-BD43-C83FA455B726.jpegF756091C-A414-4E63-A9F7-B4C8FF51C914.jpeg

These came out of a truck cab I think as they have the plastic rubbing strips not he rear, well mostly, they need replacing as they have gone missing. The CSW versions didn't have these fitted, but did have rear pockets which I will miss. The seats are also missing one recliner handle which is not a problem. The only bad point is the worn seat base cover, the foam is still good. Not great but I will replace it. The interesting thing is that even sitting on them in the kitchen they are supremely more comfortable than the Puma seats. Each to their own I have no doubt.

5E3EF0CC-71D0-4DF5-9C1F-223DDBD1D3A8.jpeg6DC623C7-0922-4B1B-A509-A0CEB0AEF7FA.jpeg2C2C305C-9626-499D-9401-2583C5E4CA3A.jpeg

Oh and they are heated as well, which is nice. Plus they will match the rear seats which never got "upgraded" to Puma XS spec.

I know this will be seen as a strange decision for some who aspire to having an XS spec Defender, but I never claimed to be "normal" :rolleyes:

I know I know it has been a while... But moving house and job half way across the country has been a tad all consuming :rolleyes:

Anyway... Good news... After 22 years, 20 MOTs and more miles under her belt than is polite to state for a lady...

IMG_6377.jpeg

And... I remembered to advise the MOT tester of the ATB diffs as well :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom