• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

To India and Beyond....

Some amazing pictures you have taken there .nice to log your travels like this .im a bit confused with some of the names and pronunciations but great information on these places ..👍
You are very welcome, glad you enjoy the Defender accompanied tales and as for the names and pronunciations you are not alone! As bedtime reading I have Robert Graves' Golden Fleece - Cheesus....the names in the tale are myriad and complicated to say the least. A great read though, I simply cannot remember what Tetrahedrus did to Polyglotonnous on the Island of Longibeachius in chapter three, or was it four and at Iolcos?

You see that often in Turkey, horrible new sh*t being constructed next to a fabulous but roofless stone house. Or new buildings next to ancient ones without any aesthetic recognition at all....
Sounds like the Pyramids in Egypt ,where they built modern buildings inc a McDonald’s..
Makes you wonder how there going to rebuild Antakya after there earthquake last year ..have you been that way ?

Sounds like the Pyramids in Egypt ,where they built modern buildings inc a McDonald’s..
Makes you wonder how there going to rebuild Antakya after there earthquake last year ..have you been that way ?
A familiar story. look at the Autogrill constructed at Pompeii!

Hatay Province is a wonderfully wild bit of country, more like the Middle East than the rest of the country. We will be north of it on our way to Georgia yet steering clear of the southern borders with Syria....at this time!

It's gone a bit quiet. Hopefully all is OK @Lancelot and it's just due to 'stuff' and nothing more.
Hello Chaps!

All well here, just a little busy on the family front (half term homework for the Wise Boy and its associated issues...sleep, sunlight and crisps!), finding accommodation for our move from Anatolia in March - a "2000 km in a week" leg up to Yerevan Armenia without the aforementioned Wise Boy who will be visiting family in Germany. The Chief has been sorting out a thousand and one things from paying school fees to dealing with the difficult woman in Bavaria who promised to sell things for us on eBay but did not really want to, which has caused her to advertise things woefully undervalued! A Swiss sauna for 400 euros -no wonder it had 59 views in an hour! Don't forget feeding us too, in the land where foodstuffs are becoming more expensive with every passing week.

For my part I have been champing at the bit to change Lancelot's fluids - G Box, TG Box and Diffs, (any top tips gratefully received), checking the front brakes (bit of squealing on occasion), but rain and time have all paid their parts, not least because I am now now spending three hours a day writing my book, one of the many which has been in my head for years. Think Frederick Forsyth with a dash of the Forty Seven Ronin....I am now on Chapter two and knocking out around 1000 "clean" words a day.

Remind me to mention the state of the rivers, lakes and dams here. I was wondering why the vast river beds we pass are dry and full of rocks, rubbish and other things you do not want in your water courses.

I have never observed Lent before and being from the Protestant branch of the Christian faith (you can't be a lapsed Anglican a Catholic friend of mine once said, you are already so laid back you are almost heretics), it has never played a great part in my life. Perhaps because I am in a Moslem country I have decided to observe Lent this year, starting with Shrove Tuesday pancakes last night flavoured with a lemon I stole from the garden of the local mosque - it was hanging over the fence Guv' honest!

Standby for Ephesus Part Three and the next instalment of Lancelot's journey.

Keep smiling and have a great week.

T

Hullo all!

Updates on the way, in the meantime here are some pictures of a friend we met whilst rock-laning today!

Stay well.

T

Attachments

• 2365b0d4-c8ef-41ac-9728-25f48649b3f1.jpeg
    2365b0d4-c8ef-41ac-9728-25f48649b3f1.jpeg
    389.3 KB · Views: 25
  • c59240d0-e9a1-4cdb-a9b7-0b805211b0e3.jpeg
    c59240d0-e9a1-4cdb-a9b7-0b805211b0e3.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 4dc11ff2-289d-4305-8d1f-babc90936f14.jpeg
    4dc11ff2-289d-4305-8d1f-babc90936f14.jpeg
    283.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 362d250f-f57c-4573-856c-9e6478f43cfe.jpeg
    362d250f-f57c-4573-856c-9e6478f43cfe.jpeg
    420 KB · Views: 18
  • 775a8f0b-2f3f-4de2-966b-f2939eb971a7.jpeg
    775a8f0b-2f3f-4de2-966b-f2939eb971a7.jpeg
    459.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 9577196a-7974-4bbb-961b-fb545759cdd1.jpeg
    9577196a-7974-4bbb-961b-fb545759cdd1.jpeg
    430.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2666.jpeg
    IMG_2666.jpeg
    293.3 KB · Views: 28
Where were we? Ah yes, the Terraced Houses of Ephesus. When you bear in mind that Ephesus had the first street lighting in the world and its theatre could accommodate 28,000 people it is no wonder that the row of terrace houses facing the Temple of Hadrian and built into the very rock of the slope behind were built by the rich and famous who then lived in them at their considerable leisure. The work of archaeological restoration has been carried out under Austrian supervision and the money has been sourced by Austrian companies over the last fifteen years. In the summer you can see the work being carried out beneath the artificial roofs and inside the air-conditioned surroundings that the remaining houses find themselves in.

The mosaics are magnificent, such incredibly detailed work which has survived for over two thousand years, most of it beneath a deep player of mud and dirt. At many site of antiquity we have seen mosaics covered by sheeting with a layer of soil on top. Clearly it works.

The houses, often referred to as the "Houses of the Rich" were built according to the Hippodamian plan where the roads transect each other at right angles. The excavation work of the Terrace Houses started in 1960, but the Austrian funding came some considerable time later. The restoration of the houses is an ongoing process and every year there is something new to admire there.

In the classical period (from the 6th to the 4th century BC), the area was used as a graveyard! They don't even do that in Manchester! Three terraces were established around 200 BC on the slope of the latter Terrace Houses, by using massive stone walls (I mean massive, ten ton blocks). On the northernmost terrace, a representative dwelling house was already built in the 1st century BC, whereas on the others a handicraft quarter developed. In the course of the erection of the Roman Dwelling Units, the Hellenistic constructions were demolished and levelled.

Several wall paintings of the Terrace Houses feature drawings and graffiti which offer an insight into the everyday life of the inhabitants. The drawings mainly show gladiators, caricatures, and animals. The graffiti include names of persons, poems, and the declarations of love. Especially interesting is a group of 30 lists referring to goods and necessities of everyday life, including their prices (e.g. onions - 3 asses, caraway - 1/2 ass, entrance the thermal baths - 12 asses). One pissed-off soldier has even written how boring his guard duty is; somethings never change.

The Eastern Complex, occupying an area of about 2500 square metres, consists of private houses, built on three terraces. The most prominent building is called a domus that is a villa inhabited by wealthy individuals and several houses belonging to the middle-class citizens. The beginning of the complex dates back to the first century AD, and the houses were inhabited until the 7th century AD. Of course, in the meantime, they underwent extensive repairs and reconstructions. Each of the houses had a separate entrance from the street and was equipped with running water.

The domus was a two-storeyed house that belonged to a wealthy family. It is situated on the second terrace. Several rooms of this house have been preserved, including a courtyard, a hall, a dining room, and a private basilica. The courtyard (peristyle), surrounded by Ionic colonnades, was built at the beginning of the 1st century AD. It was restored after the AD 37 earthquake and modified around AD 300 when coloured marble revetments and a fountain in the southern part of the peristyle were added. The hall (oikos) contains a niche with a fountain covered with more coloured marble plates. The room to the south of the hall has been identified as a private basilica.

The Western Complex consisted of at least five luxury villas with peristyles or inner courtyards, perfectly preserved to our times. Many of the rooms are still decorated with frescoes and works of art, discovered during archaeological works. Also in this section, all the houses had running water, and the traces of bathrooms equipped with bathtubs have been found. There were houses in my home village that did not have running water until the 1980s...now I am not saying we are backward in Devon, but...

This complex comprises the largest collection of ancient mosaic floors from the Roman period in Western Turkey. Most of the mosaics, dating from the beginning of the 1st century to the first half of the 3rd century AD, feature geometric patterns using small black and white stones - a clear link with mosaics from Italy. Few multicolored and figurative mosaics depict Triton, Nereids, Dionysos, Medusa and a lion.

Now for some pictures!

Attachments

• DSC_0883.jpg
    DSC_0883.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0885.jpg
    DSC_0885.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC_0890.jpg
    DSC_0890.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0892.jpg