• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Turbo Problems in Africa - HELP!

farmerfred123

In Fourth Gear
So, I'm currently coming to the end of an overland trip from London to Cape Town in a 110 300tdi.

It must be said we've had our fair share of problems along the way - not helped by some rather dubious Ethiopian mechanics. Anyway, turbo started making squeeling when under load in Ethiopia. Fearing the worst and not wanting to get stuck in northern Kenya we had it changed for a new genuine garrett jobby at vast expense. Since then all has been fine on the turbo front, apart from a bit of exhaust escaping from around where the exhaust manifolds go into the centre turbo manifold bit.

Since now that it is! Yesterday driving along a gravel road in Namibia. I noticed it was a bit down on power but put it down to the gravel roads and strong head wind. Then about 200 miles later the engine just cut out.

When trying to restart we found that the top intercooler hose got sucked in and cut off air supply - this made me think something must be blocked.

Cleaned the air filter and removed turbo pipes but didn't find anything obvious. Feeling hopeful I put all the pipes back on and fired her up, luckily it seemed to have sorted itself out.

Unfortunately today the same thing happened (still down on power) and she cut out after about 80 miles, On further inspection there was smoke coming from the turbo... :eek:.

Again, we let her cool and managed to finish the next 150 miles at a rather slow pace.

There is very little black smoke (less than normal probably) and fuel economy has gone right down, she also seems to be running rather hotter than normal when driven over 50mph...

Any ideas would be very helpful. Only 800 miles to go!

Freddie

www.cruisingtocapetown.com

See if your intercooler has a lot of oil in it.
Check pipes have not collapsed and your air filter is in reasonable shape.
I hope it's as simple as this.

If you are running hot you may have debris stuck in the radiator too or your fan has given up.

The strange thing is that the intercooler was flushed/cleaned when the turbo was changed so I wouldn't have thought its going to be fully clogged already. What do you mean by pipes collapsing? Can they collapse internally or something strange..?

Standard rubber type can degrade and collapse when in use, that's why there is a trend to fit new coloured silicone reinforced types, so they're not just there for the bling factor!!!!!

Rubber pipes can degrade and collpase internally without much sign from the outside. You should be able to feel the weakness if you squeeze the pipes.

If you're near Windhoek or Walvis, you should be able to find some replacement pipes. If not, Upington would be your next best place I guess.

Are you coming through Joburg? If so, there's a bunch of forum members who'd like to share a beer and war stories with you....

Cheers,
Marc

Thanks for all the replies.

Will go and whip all the pipes off now and have a good look at the insides..

Unfortunately not going to be passing through Joburg, just going down the west coast and into Cape Town as we're on a bit of a time limit now..

We're past Walvis and Windhoek now, do you think we'd have any chances in Springbok?

Fred

You guys are good!

Took the rubbery hose from the turbo onto the metal tube bit on the wing and surprise surprise it had delaminated! Got to find a new one now and hope that the turbo is still ok after getting rather hot...

Thanks again,

Fred

What a pity you're missing the greatest city in Africa, and a beer with interesting people... ;)

I think your chances of finding landy spares in Springbok are... well... not great :)

As a suggestion, you may be able to find some thin wall aluminium or steel pipe that you could cut into sections, and fit inside the damaged rubber pipe to keep it rigid...

There's not much down that coastline... apart from exquisite beauty that is... until you reach Cape town. You might find Landy spares in Lambert's Bay or Vreedendal.

Marc

Another option is to go to a reasonable spares shop and look at their rad hoses. You may be able to find a suitable one that could be chopped short if necessary. And if THAT doesn't work maybe you can find a stuffed alu hoover pipe and cut off a piece to insert into the delaminating hose, such that the alu pipe keeps the sides from sucking closed....

It did cross my mid whether I could stuff something inside the pipe to keep it rigid..

Luckily I think I've found one albeit 180 miles away! Going to try and chug along tomorrow to fetch it, lets hope there aren't too many hills along the way.

Marc - I'm sure Johburg is lovely but been away for 6 months and the piggy bank is now about as dry as the sahara so got to go back to blighty :(

Thanks again for all the help and I'll update on tomorrow progress.

Was it the 90'Deg elbow that goes from the turbo outlet to the pipe on the wing to inter cooler, I have had 3 of those blow a hole right through them. But they did not collapse on the inside but heard of it happening

Yeah it is the 90'Deg elbow that comes straight out of the turbo. Going to get a new one this afternoon hopefully. Might have to invest in a set of silicon hoses when I get back!

Got a new pipe from a lovely old couple on Stienveld Farm in Namibia. Seems to be working fine now just a little down on power but only got 50 miles to Cape Town so a worry for when the car is back in the UK! Thanks for the help guys.

Great to hear that you've got it sorted. I hope the Cape Town weather plays ball, and you have a great time down there.

Was it the 90'Deg elbow that goes from the turbo outlet to the pipe on the wing to inter cooler, I have had 3 of those blow a hole right through them. But they did not collapse on the inside but heard of it happening

Clive, I bought a new silicone set after that effing elbow tore itself away from the jubilee clip that held it to the turbo!

Back
Top Bottom