• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

What did you do to your Defender today?

made it smell of lamb Dansak after collecting a takeaway :)
I know what that's like! I did it on an industrial scale once when helping friends who own an Indian restaurant get large pans of hot curry to an outdoor village fair in the back of the Defender. The pans were too full really and the carpet got covered in several different curries! It needed a professional valet to stop it smelling of curry.

Today I put off looking under the bonnet. My power steering died on Thursday evening and I haven't had a look to see what the cause might be yet. I hope it's the pump rather than the box.

Sarah

Yesterday at least

Changed Transfer Box, Gearbox and Engine fluids and filters (even replaced the Torx55 filler bolt as the old one's head was looking worn and may not come off another time!)

Araldited the stub pipe back in place that comes out of the crankcase side breather plate/cover (Which the injector pump bolts to) as this was loose and free and spitting oil. Replaced breather hose at the same time. Cleaned the cyclone oil breather filter too - soaked in diesel and thinners and a lot of crap came out. Gunked and cleaned engine in the hope that any oil leaks that exist will now be obvious......hopefully nothing serious

Drove it :)

Then added a few things to the to do list :( sort out tyre pressures ASAP, was all over the place at 65mph, clutch pedal has gone funny seem as though it needs adjusting, brakes felt spongy as anything, couldn't disengage gears a couple of times whilst stopped, had to turn off engine to get another gear or neutral which makes for really annoying 5 point turns in tight spaces..... Radio intermittently turning off, and the dash seemed to loose power a few times. Drivers door needs yet more adjustment to make it easier to close, difflock warning light isn't working, need to replace plastic tube from washer nozzle to wiper arm with actual washer jets. Front bumper looks like it's suddenly been in the sea all it's life, front OS bearing has worked it's way loose for the 10th time this year. Bonnet rubbers need adjusting again - the bonnet was bouncing up and down and clanking on every bump above 50mph.

Oh joy MOT is up in a couple of weeks wish me lots of luck please, the GF is on my case to get rid as it is, please oh lord of landies give me the time and strength to make it better again.

Fitted new headlamps that take H4 bulbs. Yay! Also fitted new foglight and reverse light lenses, and found out why the reverse light wasn't working - short circuit.

Got 2 seatbelts to fit on the back seats, and instructions from the management to get a step for the back door. I think I'll build it rather than buy it :)

Freaked out! Having spent all weekend doing thorough caring maintenance, I drove her to find that when I put the foot brake on my sidelights (& headlights I think) randomly start coming on and off!!! Scares the hell out of drivers in front of me as I approach roundabouts :).....really annoying though.....I did clean the engine on saturday (finally washed with hose) and conclude that water of my own spraying must be the cause.....:(

Finally got started on sorting out the electrics under passenger seat, not overly impressed with po wiring of winch (-neg cable nearly worn through where passes through bodywork) but I will attempt to make things neater and easier to add further electrics if needed, must also add gratitude to our boxer dog whose never ending curiosity meant whatever I was trying to drill/tighten/measure/hit/scrape/drink/look at was unfailingly replaced by the back of his ffffin head!

Ps. I'm driving a td5 on a 54 plate, does anyone know if the blank part on facia (under the stereo) has enough space to fit a cb into?

Sorting out my electrics once and for all, fitted an aux fuse box on Thursday, and fitted a few new switches to my dash and rear panel

Attachments

• battery box.jpg
    battery box.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 197
  • fuse box.jpg
    fuse box.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 188
  • mud dash.jpg
    mud dash.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 204
  • rear panel.jpg
    rear panel.jpg