• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

What did you do to your Series today?

Some nice Norfolk lanes...

William

Attachments

• 100_0808 (Medium).jpg
    100_0808 (Medium).jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 582
  • 100_0772 (Medium).jpg
    100_0772 (Medium).jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 625
  • 100_0775 (Medium).jpg
    100_0775 (Medium).jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 537
  • 100_0809 (Medium).jpg
    100_0809 (Medium).jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 622
Sorted the door frame & latch,pulled the bulkhead,stright,after removing the wing this was long overdue. I then cut some ply for the 3 front seats to be recoverd in leather,as my bum as my bum getting sore from the very old foam.So the door is not held shut with bungys now, the door now shuts with only a 1" gap at the top. And after tomorrow by bum should start to recover.

Well i got around to taking the roof an back body off and clean then paint chassis ;)
till the rain came down asusual:(

Attachments

• rear-body-off (2).JPG
    rear-body-off (2).JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 509
  • rear-body-off (6).jpg
    rear-body-off (6).jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 613
  • rear-body-off (5).JPG
    rear-body-off (5).JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 526
  • rear-body-off (4).JPG
    rear-body-off (4).JPG
    57 KB · Views: 495
  • rear-body-off (3).JPG
    rear-body-off (3).JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 518
  • rear-body-off (1).JPG
    rear-body-off (1).JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 557
I replaced the oil seals on the nearside hubs so now they dont leak, will find out if i did it right when on the way to the MOT test station I guess as he is SORN at the min while I got some jobs done in the hope of a pass!

fitted a new rear stop/tail/reflector/number plate light

Found that my rear axle where the strengthening section is was rotten and a PO had filled it with expanding foam!!!! Cleaned it all off ready to grind as I am lead to believe I can cope without it for an MOT etc. In cleaning off the area a small hole appeared in the axle case so had to drain the oil then use some funky metal putty to repair it, will put new EP80/90 in tomorrow so hopefully its done the trick

gave the lightweight its first test drive with the 200 tdi installed. only got a short unsilenced exhaust until i make the new one, so its a bit loud, but boy does she shift.

mines the same, tooooo loud for my liking though, but in a nice way. gotta love the sound of the turbo spooling up :) . i alreadsy have the pipe and a silencer to make a copy of the original system. this engine must be plated with quite a lot, but i havnt checked it out yet to see for sure. in the disco it came out of, it was unstoppable in first high, a lot more torquey than my disco , so much so i thought it might have 4.7:1 diffs in, but it didnt .

mines the same, tooooo loud for my liking though, but in a nice way. gotta love the sound of the turbo spooling up :) . i alreadsy have the pipe and a silencer to make a copy of the original system. this engine must be plated with quite a lot, but i havnt checked it out yet to see for sure. in the disco it came out of, it was unstoppable in first high, a lot more torquey than my disco , so much so i thought it might have 4.7:1 diffs in, but it didnt .

mine was a little loud when the wastegate opened, but normal driving I found it OK :)

are you going to keep the exhaust as a straight through?
to keep the back pressure to a minimum?
dont want any turbo lag do you? :p

and its not a bad thing if the engine is tuned....properly that is....
I chuckle when I see people just wind the max fuelling screw in....

im going to use a disco middle box, just to make it quiet, they are straight through, so dont really give any back pressure, but do silence them quite well. thats how i run my disco, and its a good compromise. i will be checking how this ones been tuned. i havnt touched the max fuel on my disco, just the diaphragm, smoke screw and knurled nut under the diaphragm, just so she dumps loads of fuel in to get the turbo spinning, which it has. i dont really like turbos off road, they are nothing without the turbo, and get a bit uncontrollable when they kick in. i much prefer a 2 1/4 petrol, just a shame they wont do 30 mpg

im going to use a disco middle box, just to make it quiet, they are straight through, so dont really give any back pressure, but do silence them quite well. thats how i run my disco, and its a good compromise. i will be checking how this ones been tuned. i havnt touched the max fuel on my disco, just the diaphragm, smoke screw and knurled nut under the diaphragm, just so she dumps loads of fuel in to get the turbo spinning, which it has. i dont really like turbos off road, they are nothing without the turbo, and get a bit uncontrollable when they kick in. i much prefer a 2 1/4 petrol, just a shame they wont do 30 mpg

no N/A and superchargers are nicer off road :)

but if the Tdi is tuned nicely and fitted with a decent intercooler, they arent too bad....
my S3 was fine once the revs were over 1,500rpm....

I do think a V8 is going to be interesting though :p

Bought a pristine 'new old stock' radiator panel from ebay last night. Picking it up this evening. Then tomorrow, more sanding of bonnet, wings etc etc to get ready for paint. So far have the following to paint and fit:

Passenger wing
Drivers door and door top
Passenger door and door top
Front radiator panel
Front apron panel
Bonnet

As always the case, seem to be accumulating more stuff to prep and get ready to repolace than I do actually getting them on the vehicle. Plan is to get all the above ready from spraying in one (though probably two) batches, then get them fitted before the summer's out. Just need some time off work when I'm not doing all the other things that don't do themselves!

Took the door tops and truck cab off and drove around wearing a very happy grin. With The Baby being SORN for the last eight years, I had forgotten how nice it is when the top comes off. Dropped into the local garage and had a chat with a guy in an E Reg Defender, he claims to have done 270,000 miles so far on the original engine/gearbox/chassis etc. Pretty impressive.

Used it as a mobile compost bin/skip this morning whilst trimming the hedge....

Made my own 1" seat risers for the stock series drivers seat from 1" box section from B&Q - significant improvement in driving position from that one small change.

Then spent all afternoon swearing and cursing whilst trying to remove the old seat belts and fit new ones. What complete moron designed the seatbelt mounting brackets in the late Series III 109 truck cabs....It need both my wife and myself to tighten the nut on the reel where it fits on the silly angled bracket behind the seat/door. As for the brackets in the corner of the seatbox then forget it, bolts positioned where you can't get a decent socket on them, nuts covered in years of mud and a general pig of a job. We gave up when it started raining and will finish next weekend.

Redid all the chassis level oils and greases - invested in some one-shot for the swivel housings, drained and replaced that (EP90 came out). Did the back diff, gearbox, transfer box. Still up is the front diff, but was running out of time.

Looking forward to see if it makes a difference to some of the niggles she's had lately.

Mud4Fun: got any photos of the seatbelts? my truckcab has had some integra ones fitted but they wont retract as they are not fitted vertical but if you turn them vertical you cant pull the beslt out, god know how it past its last MOT like that

Back
Top Bottom