• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

What did you do to your Series today?

1000006646.jpg
The first big run we've done together; 82 miles on B roads from Warwickshire to Bucks and she didn't miss a beat. Managed to crack along at 55ish (gps, not indicated) so some regular use over the weekend seems to have cleared her lungs a little. New door seals, vent seals, fly screens, seats, seatbelts, door latches and window catches, primer and a rattle can bronze green ordered up, so we may just be a little more weatherproof by Sunday 🙂

Faffed about with the Webasto - dug out the ancient laptop with Windows XP to run the diagnostics. Usually its just a bad connection but this time it had a glow plug fault. Swapped over to the spare heater - done it so many times I can do it 3/4 hour. Went to order a new glow plug - £120. Blow that, I'll work out a plan B. Had an old one in the shed so I've put that in the failed unit, I'll test it later in the week. I have a test set up with a bucket but it always ends with water everywhere in the shed or the diesel gets knocked over :mad:

Faffed about with the Webasto - dug out the ancient laptop with Windows XP to run the diagnostics. Usually its just a bad connection but this time it had a glow plug fault. Swapped over to the spare heater - done it so many times I can do it 3/4 hour. Went to order a new glow plug - £120. Blow that, I'll work out a plan B. Had an old one in the shed so I've put that in the failed unit, I'll test it later in the week. I have a test set up with a bucket but it always ends with water everywhere in the shed or the diesel gets knocked over :mad:
just fitted a £99 Chinese copy in my boat and its the dogs nuts, used better exhaust outlet hoses, welded up silencer and flange fittings.

Reminds me... I meant to look at the Webasto heater for years. I'm afraid it will go up in flames when I try it out ;)

View attachment 530587The first big run we've done together; 82 miles on B roads from Warwickshire to Bucks and she didn't miss a beat. Managed to crack along at 55ish (gps, not indicated) so some regular use over the weekend seems to have cleared her lungs a little. New door seals, vent seals, fly screens, seats, seatbelts, door latches and window catches, primer and a rattle can bronze green ordered up, so we may just be a little more weatherproof by Sunday 🙂
Looks good.

Hope you have a drip tray for them block paviours! 😏

I think I may have found the source of my engine cutting out when it was damp weather.
I have the Defender 2.5 Petrol with 32/34 DMTL carb.
It would start fine, but going over a few bumps down the road would run erratically. Also she did this on the main road and would only run with the choke out most of the way.
I thought it was a blocked idle jet as that would affect the idle and would be cured by running rich, sort of.
So I stripped the top off it, took jets out and gave it all a blow out. back together again - it did the same thing!

Now looking at the electrical side I wondered what would be the effect of taking the solenoid wire off while running. The front one didn't do anything, but the side one caused it to instantly cut out - exactly the same problem!
That contact was bent, so is not a fully-on spade connector, so will attempt to straighten it and replace the connector with a new one.
- Proof that most carb problems are electrical !

Realised the 80inch gearbox wasn't really designed to keep oil in!!!!

whitehillbilly
If you go back to when it was designed oil seals were a rarity. Most shafts just had a plain bush and the occasional felt washer. It didn't matter because the hand book said "check oil level weekly" no matter how hard it was to get to :lol: I had a jaguar with 22 grease nipples underneath, the handbook said "grease monthly"...then it also said "change oil every 1500 miles" and it took 3 gallons. I don't think they ever thought about how much oil you got through.
I actually rang Jaguar technical department and asked if I could extend to 3000 or 5000 miles like later models with the same engine, fully expected a "yes". After some thought the the guy said, "no, if we said 1500 in the hand book that's what you should do..":mad:

Made some new door cards for the 109 on the weekend, sort of ABS type plastic stuff I had laying around. Old ones crumbled every time I shut the door lol. They looked home made as well, did they even come out with door cards originally?
I've been down that route, a door pull handle is essential but what's securing it to the door?
I used a couple of handles from some old speaker cabs mounted to the top door rail.

The first big run we've done together; 82 miles on B roads from Warwickshire to Bucks and she didn't miss a beat. Managed to crack along at 55ish (gps, not indicated) so some regular use over the weekend seems to have cleared her lungs a little. New door seals, vent seals, fly screens, seats, seatbelts, door latches and window catches, primer and a rattle can bronze green ordered up, so we may just be a little more weatherproof by Sunday 🙂
I think you should keep those wheels, it makes a Landy look less 'feminine'

Back
Top Bottom