• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

What did you do to your Series today?

Picked this little beauty up yesterday, and had my first exploratory run of 30 miles through the West Midlands back roads.

She's just had a new clutch, but needs a little fettling under the bonnet....... There's an intermittent misfire, especially at the top end, and a general laziness to pull any revs from tickover, water weeping from the rad expansion tank, and just about every seal has perished. All of this, coupled with a steering box that is actively trying to kill me is going to make the 80 mile journey home on Monday very interesting! 😂

I'll clean the points today and hopefully pick up a new coil, leads and plugs and pray to the LR gods that we locate the so far mythical 50mph

1000006594.jpg

Picked this little beauty up yesterday, and had my first exploratory run of 30 miles through the West Midlands back roads.

She's just had a new clutch, but needs a little fettling under the bonnet....... There's an intermittent misfire, especially at the top end, and a general laziness to pull any revs from tickover, water weeping from the rad expansion tank, and just about every seal has perished. All of this, coupled with a steering box that is actively trying to kill me is going to make the 80 mile journey home on Monday very interesting! 😂

I'll clean the points today and hopefully pick up a new coil, leads and plugs and pray to the LR gods that we locate the so far mythical 50mph

View attachment 530346
She looks a cracker interesting paint work ..👍

Truly aggravating to say the least and we're generally doing our own work. I'd be some miffed if I had to pay regular shop labour rates to r&r junky Britpart spares however many times it took to happen upon some good ones. That could get very expensive very quickly.
I would like to think that if you paid someone to replace a part (that they had sourced and subsequently failed) then they might replace it without charging you, but if you supply the part and only pay for labour then you're knackered...

That looks nice. The bulkhead repair looks a bit shonky but may just need a tidy and a load of something inside to slow down any future rust.
I hope you are keeping the bodywork as it is... wipe down with an oily rag maybe... :thumbsup:

Was going to check all the fluids on my series 3 but can't get the nut on the offside swivel to budge. And can't get the nut on the gearbox to budge either. Don't think they have been touched in years. You would think with all the oil leaks that they would be easy to free
Get a blowlamp on them. For the swivel heat the plug directly, they get glued in with dried oil and once the plug gets hot you sometime see it bubble, then it should turn easily. With the box warm up the ally to get it to expand, then shock the drain plug with some penetrating oil, it cools it and some gets sucked into the threads.

I think that is why most garages refuse to fit parts supplied by the customer. David
i would not fit second hand engines ,gearboxes if supplied by the customer without them knowing that if it went wrong they would have to pay again.. same went for parts they had supplied from the internet ....if i supplied the parts .. then the extra labour costs was down to me .. as for the mark up on parts .. tell me a company that does not put a mark up on things even a builder does .. that is part of the game .. it is just how much you put on the part .. what is making it harder to put a mark up on some thing now is the fact they will give the ordinary customer almost at the same cost i can get it at .... charity motors went bankrupt ....

Get a blowlamp on them. For the swivel heat the plug directly, they get glued in with dried oil and once the plug gets hot you sometime see it bubble, then it should turn easily. With the box warm up the ally to get it to expand, then shock the drain plug with some penetrating oil, it cools it and some gets sucked into the threads.
Or a hot air gun

I would like to think that if you paid someone to replace a part (that they had sourced and subsequently failed) then they might replace it without charging you, but if you supply the part and only pay for labour then you're knackered...
When I had my first Landy back in '93 I rebuilt the 2.25 engine using parts sourced from my local Landy garage (before the internet took hold).
The oil pump was unbranded (although it might have been an early Britpart), anyway it all ran OK except for a horrible groaning noise from the pump.
I took the vehicle to the garage to show them and asked for a replacement and they said I must have fitted it it incorrectly (obviously!) and that they would charge me for replacing it.
It turned out that it WAS faulty, and indeed I had to pay for the labour, but one consolation was they gave me a Genuine Parts pump, which makes it OK.

30 years on they still have the Landy garage, and we are more like old family friends, and they even make me a cup of tea when I call round... :)

Made some new door cards for the 109 on the weekend, sort of ABS type plastic stuff I had laying around. Old ones crumbled every time I shut the door lol. They looked home made as well, did they even come out with door cards originally?
Pretty swank! The door-pull adds a touch of class too. 😁

Back
Top Bottom