• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Who did you see today?

While out for a drive up the A1000 in front of me was a series soft top land rover with a long serial on the front, then later while driving By way 80, I bumped into some one driving a Defender who kindly reversed back to let me pass. In this part of town you very rarely see any old Land Rovers. So was this any one on here. sorry no pics. i thought my bike cam was running but it had run out of battery so no pictures or video.

For myself, Malc and Mud, I think that you're both needlessly paranoid, but each to his own! Having worked as a Prison Officer, I can assure you that most car thieves are, indeed, incredibly stupid and most unlikely to be doing the sort of detective work you suggest! :) Anyway, I promise to be more circumspect.

For myself, Malc and Mud, I think that you're both needlessly paranoid, but each to his own! Having worked as a Prison Officer, I can assure you that most car thieves are, indeed, incredibly stupid and most unlikely to be doing the sort of detective work you suggest! :) Anyway, I promise to be more circumspect.

lol fair enough

If you want to see where people park there land rovers go on to google maps I got a shock as I could easily identify mine and at least another three in our village as I "walked" around our streets without leaving the comfort of my sofa

needlessly paranoid,

Talking of which, currently staying with in-laws, who live in a relatively low crime area, and 'tut father-in-law has:

• Steel bar gates over all the exterior doors
• A motion-activated barking dog thing (effin annoying, I can tell you!)
• CCTV all round with motion-activated recording
• Several weapons in the house (shot gun, "cartridge" air rifles, machetes, knockberys, swords)
• Until recently trip-wires with shotgun cartridges around the house
Probably more besides.

Me, I think that's a tad excessive! But each to their own ...

and 'tut father-in-law has:

• Steel bar gates over all the exterior doors
• A motion-activated barking dog thing (effin annoying, I can tell you!)
• CCTV all round with motion-activated recording
• Several weapons in the house (shot gun, "cartridge" air rifles, machetes, knockberys, swords)
• Until recently trip-wires with shotgun cartridges around the house
Probably more besides.

Me, I think that's a tad excessive! But each to their own ...

Daily Mail reader?

There was huge paranoia when google brought out street view. It was going to be a thieves paradise.

Think about just trawling around looking...you'd find what you wanted quite easily, without any sort of info from reg numbers. Search your local area even, or the next town along.....Google didnt blank out any vehicles...reg numbers yes, but you can search for an address if you wish. Question is, how paranoid do you want to be? (unless you read the daily mail of course, then its a given.)

I think paranoid is a tad harsh Moreton. I think it is just sensible to avoid giving out too much unneccessary information. Land Rovers are amongst the most stolen vehicles in the UK so I don't think I'm being paranoid to take extra precautions. My vehicles are fitted with tracking devices, I have CCTV and sound recording on the drive and workshop and I have other security devices fitted too. That to me is just sensible. Also my point was that posting pictures of somebody elses vehicle outside their home increases the risk, no matter how slight, of it being stolen as the picture is placed here on one of, if not the most, popular land rover forums where thousands will see it. If you or I wish to post pictures of our own Land Rovers then fair enough but you need to consider the thoughts of the owners of the vehicles you are taking pictures of.

I'm sorry if I sound like a killjoy.

For those that suggest it is exageration of the risk then might I suggest they go talk to somebody (like my neighbour) who has had several thugs walk around their house at night, while they and their children were in their beds, looking for keys to a Land Rover. That is fact not fiction.

I think paranoid is a tad harsh Moreton. I think it is just sensible to avoid giving out too much unneccessary information. Land Rovers are amongst the most stolen vehicles in the UK so I don't think I'm being paranoid to take extra precautions. My vehicles are fitted with tracking devices, I have CCTV and sound recording on the drive and workshop and I have other security devices fitted too. That to me is just sensible. Also my point was that posting pictures of somebody elses vehicle outside their home increases the risk, no matter how slight, of it being stolen as the picture is placed here on one of, if not the most, popular land rover forums where thousands will see it. If you or I wish to post pictures of our own Land Rovers then fair enough but you need to consider the thoughts of the owners of the vehicles you are taking pictures of.

I'm sorry if I sound like a killjoy.

For those that suggest it is exageration of the risk then might I suggest they go talk to somebody (like my neighbour) who has had several thugs walk around their house at night, while they and their children were in their beds, looking for keys to a Land Rover. That is fact not fiction.

But did they attempt to steal his Discovery because they'd seen a photo of it on a forum and tracked it down the location, or because they were local, seen it in passing and returned at night to have it away?

Personally, I don't think there's any more risk than parking it in a supermarket or town centre car park, but as you say, there's no excuse to be complacent about the vehicle security (says the man with the steering lock currently on the passenger seat, and the clutch claw in back.....).

But did they attempt to steal his Discovery because they'd seen a photo of it on a forum and tracked it down the location, or because they were local, seen it in passing and returned at night to have it away?

Personally, I don't think there's any more risk than parking it in a supermarket or town centre car park, but as you say, there's no excuse to be complacent about the vehicle security (says the man with the steering lock currently on the passenger seat, and the clutch claw in back.....).

From what i've heard it was probably neither in that case. It was an organised gang who stole several vehicles that night to order. They were not locals. I can't remember for sure but think the local shop owner mentioned they were from manchester so will not have seen the vehicle in passing. It was a relatively new disco so it could have been either dvla data used to find it or the dealers own IT system. On that same evening several cars including another new disco had their headlights stolen in the next village. I doubt very much they will have just simply been driving around looking for these vehicles, especially not in small rural villages like this where any vehicle moving at night is regarded as suspicious due to the amount of poaching and other illegal activities that go on. It happened at 4am which is normally when i'm leaving for work and i know too well that very, very few vehicles are about then other than police cars so it would be a silly thing to drive around at that time casing peoples drives.

All i'm saying is be careful not too give too much information out on other peoples vehicles and their locations.

I agree in being careful with posting up details of other peoples vehicles without their permission, it is their property and their choice as to whether it should be plastered all over the internet.

However the thought of a load of numpty car thieves scouring google street view to find cars makes me laugh. Has there been a huge increase in vehicle theft since google street view came in? No.

I'm surprised the Daily Mail readers have been concerned about it, they obviously haven't followed it through to their usual logical conclusion. The google camera took pictures through the day when everyone was at work, so if a car is pictured outside a house or in a driveway they are obviously unemployed - Benefit scum! They deserve to have their cars nicked!! :rolleyes:

My family including me all love google earth and street view. It is a great tool. There may be a slight risk but as has been said, the photos are mostly years out of date. I certainly would not drive halfway across the country to steal a vehicle just because it appeared on street view. However a photo posted today on this forum of a land rover parked outside somebodys house yesterday is far more risky.

I use google earth and street view to 'virtual drive' the routes to places that i need to go but have not been before so that i can get a feel for the roads around there. My kids also do virtual drives around places all around the world. It is great for them to be able to 'drive' around europe and the states and see some of the sights. They love the google moon feature too!

I'm surprised the Daily Mail readers have been concerned about it, they obviously haven't followed it through to their usual logical conclusion. The google camera took pictures through the day when everyone was at work, so if a car is pictured outside a house or in a driveway they are obviously unemployed - Benefit scum! They deserve to have their cars nicked!! :rolleyes:

Dear me....you owe me a keyboard, bhoy! Cawfee is a beggar to get out of the keys, you know.:rolleyes:

On another forum i used to use when i had my camper van, some one published a picture of a very nice van that they had seen, with location and time of the picture being taken, The person who owned the van was not happy, has you should have been at work some 100 miles away from where the van was photographed. His wife was even more upset as it was parked outside her friends house. Draw your own conclusions.

I like the idea of the thread, but taking photo's really isn't necessary as if you are spotted - you know where you were.

Spotted a nice light blue series III heading through Newmachar yesterday, and a decent green Lightweight by the banks in Dyce. - That's two spotted within 5 minutes of each other - fantastic :p

Back
Top Bottom