• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

101 Forward Control "Radio"

TurfTavern

Shifting Up
Hello, I am "new" to these forums but wanted to share my luck. I just purchased a 1976 101FC "Radio". 35000km, and aside from a much needed paint job (colour pending) & a new mirror, she runs strong.

I would really appreciate any ideas or remarks on how to make this beast (name pending) better and more up to date.

-Tyres & rims
-Power Steering
-Air conditioning
-etc (please comment)

Attached are 3 photos of my newly acquired "Radio"

Attachments

• LR101 Radio (7).JPG
    LR101 Radio (7).JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 856
  • LR101 Radio (8).JPG
    LR101 Radio (8).JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 902
  • LR101 Radio (9).jpg
    LR101 Radio (9).jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,355
Hi TurfTavern,

welcome to the forum. I am not a 101 owner, but drove a few in my time. Personally, I'd restore it to it's former glory, but then again, that's my way of doing things. I'm sure Woodparts will tell you what to do.

Nige

Mate

there is no other way that i can say this so YOU HAVE A VERY RARE VEHICLE, you have got from the looks of your photos a intercept 101 radio body yours is the only the third one that i know about! and there where not many of these converted to this specification.

just to put you in the picture there were about 2600 101 made, split down into 500 ambulances and about 150 radio bodies the rest being standard GS vehicles.

your truck would of worked with the 101 known as the Vampire trucks co-ordinating the transfer of intercepted signals back to the troop commanders in the rear of the front line. one intercept truck worked with three vampires co-ordinating what they listened to, and we think that there were about 21 vampire trucks.

I bet that your radio body has got a espepacker petrol powered heater a big 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch slab of sheet steel over ther rear floor,the cover over the rear window (pictured) and a special frame in the rear to hold radios.

I know of one 101 club member, john bailey i think (i hope that he does not mind me mentioning his name here) he has to only other complete 101 intercept truck that i know about.

it would be a shame to see it cut around and changed as you really do have a ultra rare vehicle!! but at the end of the day you need to be able to use it i suppose, but i think that you would be better of selling it and buying a less rare 101 and modifying that to your needs?? perhaps??.

just my thoughts??

Thank you Nigel and "Fatcodycat" for your comments,

It would seem that everyone wants me to restore it to its former glory (i.e. http://www.mmvg.net/Veh05.jpg ), but this is the story, I have just moved back to the states and was forced to sell my D90 as i was unable to export it due to the yanks silly airbag rule implemented in '97, and by sheer luck I was driving my mum about and I noticed a familiar shape out of the corner of my eye, I slammed onto the brakes and came to a screeching halt, had my little panic attack, as most die hard land rover lovers are sure to have. As fortune would favour, the owner was moving to Africa and needed to sell, lucky me. Now, I do not know a thing about cars mechanically but I know land rovers and I know a great deal when I see one. So here I am a proud owner of a FFR 101 and haven't a clue where to begin but I did see something that I rather enjoyed reading, as I am sure you will too:

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/104.html
...as you can see, I want to keep the brut as stock as possible but with some necessary upgrades, keep in mind I am living in the bitter cold, no longer have transport and this will be my daily ride.

"Fatcodycat" I never heard the Radio Body (or 101 FFR "Fitted For Radio") 101 referred to as a "Intercept 101" there function being a mobile command center, but i believe them to be one in the same. Regarding the very rare V.A.P.I.R.E, which did work in threes to triangulate and intercept radio signals. There seems to be a debate on how may exist, between 9 & 21 from what I have heard. I did find a possible "myth" of a fourth hard bodied 101FC, the extraordinary "Power Generator Body" found here:

http://www.oldrover.com/101/PowerGen/PowerGen.htm

Coming back to the "Radio Bodies", I believe that they were the only 101's fitted with 24v alternator (please correct me if I am wrong because I am not 100% certain), I too thought there were in the vicinity 120 to 150 radio bodies but according to these production tables that I uncovered, there were in fact many more:

http://www.emlra.org/vehicles/101.htm

http://www.lrfaq.org/FC/FAQ.FC.101production.html

...as you can see from there are a few discrepancies, but the fact remains they did make many more 24v "Radio" 101's then most people are led to believe.

Rest assured, I have no intention to hack up the brut, I would rather sell it to someone more passionate then I and double my money and reinvest it into another 101.

:armysmile

warm regards,
Ian

hello
There where only 150ish radio bodyies made, the production records that you have found detail ALL the 101 production. All 101s where made as standard GS (Soft top) vehicles, they where then sent to be converted into the anbulances and the radio bodies hense the procudion was still only 2600 trucks in total.
Also there where only 6 of the 150 radio bodies that where 12v all the rest of the radio bodies where 24v, this was simply due to the rodios that the british army used at the time where 24v so the trucks where built with the same voltage to charge the baterys.

you are still to comfirm (polite head on) if you radio body has the modifications that i have listed above, this will comfirm is it is indeed the extra rare modifiyied intercept truck that is an extra rare breed of the 101 radio body limitied production of only 150ish. I cam assure you that the intercept rucks are ultra rare - rarer than the vampires which they worked with!.
May i suggest that you if you have not done so all ready join the 101 club (search in google) and the 101 yahoo groups, both will giove you access to a load of information and spares.

I can assure you that i think that your truck is only that third intercept that i know about and that is a varation of the standard 101 radio body and i realy do only know about three (two of yours has not got the modifications that i have detailed above) of the intercept trucks and the intercept trucks are rarer than the vampires!!

I take it that you are in the US? if you do not mide would you please tellme where abouts as the 101 club has members all over the states! but not me i am in cold oxfordshire inthe UK!!

Please let us know about the extras thatih have listed above it will comfirm or deny what i am talking about!!

It does have a steel slab in the back and as pictured a cover over the rear window. I am un familiar with what a "espepacker" is or means. As for the frame, there may have been but its empty in back now. The roof is re-enforced grid like if that differs from the standard "radio body". Is there a URL that you can point me too that goes into more detail about the version? I am in Connecticut.

cheers

Hello

ha I thought so the intercept trucks from the out side did have only have small differences from the standard radio body. the mesh in the rear is also a feature of the intercept trucks, the heater is a petrol powered one and if it is still there and working it will kick out a lot of heat more then enough for the truck and cab.

By all means Pm me and we can continue to "Chat" or via this web site when i get over to my parents i can also take some pics of my radio body(Standard one) os you will see the small but vital differences between the two.

the best thing to do is to join the web chat list below it is 101 specific and some where on there there is the owner of the only other compleate intercept truck john baily, and i the file section there is some pictures of his intercept truck before and after you will see what i meen!!.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/101/

steve

fatcodycat said:
the best thing to do is to join the web chat list below it is 101 specific and some where on there there is the owner of the only other compleate intercept truck john baily, and i the file section there is some pictures of his intercept truck before and after you will see what i meen!!.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/101/

steve
I have been trying to join and i have sent mail, but as of yet have had no answer, been a few weeks now and i have sent email twice

bests
Ian

Blimey! I'm with Cody on this one.
As passionate as I am about keeping landys doing what they were intended to do i.e. work for a living.. I agree that yours looks remarkably like the rare intercept. 14 Signal Regt had them in Wolfenbuttel (where i was posted as long range recce) and they were truly sneaky beaky trucks always kept locked away and never strayed out of camp without cover of night (I kid you not! :rolleyes: )

If you are not keen on keeping as a museum piece (once again I cannot cast stones as I don't believe in lving in cabbage and black any more) you would do well to sell it on and buy either a normal radio body or an ambi and kit it out as you want to.

Got any more pics?

'Parts

Woodparts said:
Blimey! I'm with Cody on this one.
As passionate as I am about keeping landys doing what they were intended to do i.e. work for a living.. I agree that yours looks remarkably like the rare intercept. 14 Signal Regt had them in Wolfenbuttel (where i was posted as long range recce) and they were truly sneaky beaky trucks always kept locked away and never strayed out of camp without cover of night (I kid you not! :rolleyes: )

If you are not keen on keeping as a museum piece (once again I cannot cast stones as I don't believe in lving in cabbage and black any more) you would do well to sell it on and buy either a normal radio body or an ambi and kit it out as you want to.

Got any more pics?

'Parts
I will post some more tomorrow

Do you know of any URL's that may have more information on these "intercept" radio bodies?? I am very curious to know more.

Cheers,
Ian

Steve- I will send another email and hope for the best.

45HG52 said:
There is a guy that uses here occasionally. fv1620 is his nom de plume. Try a PM, he is a mine of info.

Nige

For some reason i am unable to send PM??
Any idea why, it says that i do not have permission

Bests
Ian

FV 1620 Clive is a font of all knowledge but this is certainly one esoteric rarity!!

TurfTavern, hope you're not regretting what you have found and admitting to it, us 101 owners can be a bit touchy sometimes, especially about the number of rare trucks that have gone stateside! ;) Glad to see you have looked into it's history and realised what you may have.

Ultimately it's your truck to do with as you wish but you could make on it if another owner was willing to do a swap. I'll post on a comment on the 101 forum about getting on but it's essential you join as most US owners lurk there. As to modding, the same forum covers all bases with power steering etc.

I'll ask one of our group memebers if he knows anything about the Intercepts, he has a fully kitted atandard radio truck.

fatcodycat said:
Mate

there is no other way that i can say this so YOU HAVE A VERY RARE VEHICLE, you have got from the looks of your photos a intercept 101 radio body yours is the only the third one that i know about! and there where not many of these converted to this specification.

just to put you in the picture there were about 2600 101 made, split down into 500 ambulances and about 150 radio bodies the rest being standard GS vehicles.

your truck would of worked with the 101 known as the Vampire trucks co-ordinating the transfer of intercepted signals back to the troop commanders in the rear of the front line. one intercept truck worked with three vampires co-ordinating what they listened to, and we think that there were about 21 vampire trucks.

I bet that your radio body has got a espepacker petrol powered heater a big 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch slab of sheet steel over ther rear floor,the cover over the rear window (pictured) and a special frame in the rear to hold radios.

I know of one 101 club member, john bailey i think (i hope that he does not mind me mentioning his name here) he has to only other complete 101 intercept truck that i know about.

it would be a shame to see it cut around and changed as you really do have a ultra rare vehicle!! but at the end of the day you need to be able to use it i suppose, but i think that you would be better of selling it and buying a less rare 101 and modifying that to your needs?? perhaps??.

just my thoughts??

Unfortunately the "Espepacker" petrol powered heater and radio shelves had been removed prior to my acquisition. Anyone have any idea where I can learn more about these heaters?

Cheers,
Ian

Hello

You seem to have purchased a VERY rare vehicle indeed. I would have thought that it would make ecconomic sense to preserve it at the very least even if you do not restore it. Sureley it is worth more money as it is than if it is 'converted'.

I did what I consider a 'sympathetic' conversion on my 101 Ambulance so that I could use it for my photographic expedition business. However the ambi version of the 101 may be uncommon but there are quite a few of them in 'original' condition. You can see detail on my website, look under the general information pages.

If you decide to keep your 101 or buy/swap for another type of 101 the you really must join the 101 Club and Register.

Best of luck.

Keith Hart

TurfTavern said:
Unfortunately the "Espepacker" petrol powered heater and radio shelves had been removed prior to my acquisition. Anyone have any idea where I can learn more about these heaters?

Alisdair on the 101 forum has produced a manual fro the erbyscratcher heating bomb (don't like 'em myself as had an "uncomfortable experience with one in the mob - kablooeyboom!). Al has done a complete re-fit to original of his ambulance and will probably be able to steer you in the right direction.

Also there is a guy called Jared on the 101 forum who has done some major work on his two 101's and will be your mainstay of info stateside.

Try Al's official email
[email protected]

Cheers
'Parts

Thanks for the feedback "woodparts" & "photo4x4" ;)

"Woodparts": As for the pictures, I will take some digi's this weekend as today we have had crap weather.

"Fatcodycat": Thanks for your advice, I am now able to log onto the 101 forums :coolgreen I was checking out the gallery and noticed John Bailey's 101 and all its "fitted" glory. As I mentioned earlier my Eberspächer petrol powered heater had been removed by the owner prior to the one I had recently purchased it from along with the shelves. The cabin is vacant along with the absence of the rear seating. Is there any other way to verify if this in fact an "Intercept" aside from the rear window cover?? :confused:

Bests,
Ian

Last edited by a moderator:
hello

Mate the more you confirm, the more sure that i am that you have the Third known intercept truck.

The reasons being are =

1, cover over over rear door
2, Espepacker heater in rear just behind driver
3, Metal cage in rear.
4, special locker in rear of truck for earth spikes and slegehammer
5, Steel slab on rear of floor
6, if you look at the roof there will be some specal brackets for ariel masts that are special to intercept trucks.

All of the above where only fitted to intercept trucks, I have not found a 101 radio body that have been fitted with these items/modifications they are unique to the intercept ones!!

May i suggest that you post a question in the 101 forum and then see what replies you get?? and perhaps post some pictures and of course join the 101 club!!

Hi TurfTavern, just got back from a weekend away and found I have an email from the 101 groups moderator, you're definitely in now, the problem was they are very fussy about e-mail addresses to foil spammers.

Back
Top Bottom