• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

101 Forward Control "Radio"

Thanks "101Sean" - I have been reading the posted emails so that i do no end up repeating past questions. ;)

"Fatcodycat" - I will check that and get back to you tomorrow, I had to bring the 101 into the shop to change some seals & tubes. :(

Where exaxctly is the VIN located? I have three numbers that read "Body Utility", "Serial #", and "CON .NO". Are any of these the VIN??

Cheers,
Ian

Hmmm, I now leave the field to those of superior knowledge of 101's. The plate in my link is all I've ever seen attached to military vehicles (the one in the pic is mine). I would have presumed that they all followed the same lines. I've driven 101's in service as I said (Ambi's and GS) but of course, at the time not been really interested in the plate.

Sorry mate.

Nige

I have attached a couple of pics of my plates. The small one on the left is the asset code and includes the army reg number. The other plates inside are common to all 101's as they all started life as GS models and were taken from stock to Marshalls (or elsewhere) to me modified. The marshalls plate is outside (orange picture) and I would expect the plate for yours to be either on the rear compartment bulkhead or under or near the external power inlets.

I'm sure that there is someone on the 101 list who can guide you right to them. Darren Parsons (who is our parts guru on 101FCCR) will no doubt be able to assist as he has a couple of oddball 101s including a Luxemburg radio body.

Hope this helps
'Parts

Attachments

• IMGP0492.JPG
    IMGP0492.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMGP0499.JPG
    IMGP0499.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 107
  • IMGP0501.JPG
    IMGP0501.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 87
hello

the chassis plate will be attached to the body just inside the cab you should see it as soon as you open the doors. It is a small ali plate about 4 inches across. i can not remember what side it is on in a LHD truck, All my fleet are RHD and the all have it in the passenger side, it will be next to the weight plate.

However - - - it is possible that your has been removed this is quite common and not realy a problem as the chassis number is stamped in the RH (Might be the LH) out rigger at the front where the spring attaches, get a scraper and attack the underseal and see what you find.

You realy MUST join the 101 club as the club as the full production dates of all 101s that where made (2600) this will detail with your chassis number, and when you truck was made at land rover and we can also tell you (or should be able to) your military registration number.

Sorry about the delay in replying been away at the mother-in-laws for the holiday!!

Ah, it was my pop up blocker - thanks Bryan.

So, as they say a picture is worth a thousand words, here are photographs showing the location of the plates. My 101 is a rhd ambulance.

Keith Hart

Attachments

• plates-001.jpg
    plates-001.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 91
  • plates-002.jpg
    plates-002.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 91
Hi
Sorry I haven't picked up on this thread earlier, thanks Nige for flagging it up for me.
As a past owner of 71FL01 an "Intercept Complex Electronic Warfare Truck mounted 1 Tonne Rover" I make the following observations.
The 101 Intercept Complex is a rare truck, however it is possible that a total of 17 where converted to this role [see later about the specific roles]. As stated elsewhere it is believed that 19 VAMPIRES were constructed. In addition to the EW identification pointers already mentioned look for signs of a large plate being fitted over the side opening doors, screw holes all the way around the doors, I thought I'd located a door plate on a farm in SE Wales but the trail went cold.
When fulfilling the Intercept role the only access to the rear compartment was via the rear door.
To the right hand side of the rear door there should also be a pull out drawer unit about letter box size that allowed signals to be passed into the truck without compromising security, this may have been plated over in later service.
As you will have seen from John Bailey's truck there is also a special spare wheel mount on the front of the 101.
The door handle and lock on the rear door are high security specials often supplemented by a padlocked hook and eye arrangement. There should be a ladder mounted on the offside rear with a facility to mount one over the earth stake box on the near side. There should be 3 fabric covers over input panels, one each side just in front of each rear wheel and the other on the offside rear wall just above the "post box". There should also be some odd bracketery on the rear wall of the cab assuming the truck in question retains it's rear wall. I've got some details "on file" of the kit that went there if anybody wants to know I'll try and dig it out.
Dealing with the role I'll try and cull the "highlights" from my aticle "Electronic Warfare, an insight into the role of VAMPIRE's and 101 EW's" that was published in the Ex Military Land Rover Association Newsletter.
There were two intercept Complexes per 14 Sig Regt Squadron. The Complex was usually located approx 5 kilometers behind the FEBA usually central to the VAMPIRE "line" which was about 1 to 2 kilometers back from FEBA, there were 4 VAMPIRE's per Troop. The VAMPIRE's fed back to the Intercept Complex with each Complex responsible for hostile comms upto 70 kilometers away. The EW Complex then passed this info back to Div EWCC.
Each Intercept Complex consisted of 6 101's plus a range of support vehicles. The 101's usually reversed into a tailor made tent and were all hooked up to each other. It is probable that each EW 101 had a different role to perform within the Complex so internal equipment fit would be different for each truck, so it is reasonable to suppose that there are only 3 of each EW variant. I am aware of the following roles;
1 x 101 was the "Terminal" and this towed the Troop Sankey water bowser.
1 x 101 was the "DFC" truck.
1 x 101 [my "old" 101] was an Intercept and towed a Sankey that carried a 21 meter mast.
I've not yet been able to clarify the roles of the other 3 101's in the Complex.
So an interesting vehicle that should remain unmolested.
My "old" 101EW now resides with a collector in the Netherlands. I sold it on when I realised I had gone as far as I could afford "restoring" the 101 to it's 14 EW role. £1,400.00 to get a bit of Watkins Johnson radio kit from the USA meant it had to go. A beautiful mint truck with 8,000 miles recorded - three years later I still suffer from withdrawal symptoms!
Cheers
Peter

peterb110 said:
Hi
Sorry I haven't picked up on this thread earlier, thanks Nige for flagging it up for me.
As a past owner of 71FL01 an "Intercept Complex Electronic Warfare Truck mounted 1 Tonne Rover" I make the following observations.
The 101 Intercept Complex is a rare truck, however it is possible that a total of 17 where converted to this role [see later about the specific roles]. As stated elsewhere it is believed that 19 VAMPIRES were constructed. In addition to the EW identification pointers already mentioned look for signs of a large plate being fitted over the side opening doors, screw holes all the way around the doors, I thought I'd located a door plate on a farm in SE Wales but the trail went cold.
When fulfilling the Intercept role the only access to the rear compartment was via the rear door.
To the right hand side of the rear door there should also be a pull out drawer unit about letter box size that allowed signals to be passed into the truck without compromising security, this may have been plated over in later service.
As you will have seen from John Bailey's truck there is also a special spare wheel mount on the front of the 101.
The door handle and lock on the rear door are high security specials often supplemented by a padlocked hook and eye arrangement. There should be a ladder mounted on the offside rear with a facility to mount one over the earth stake box on the near side. There should be 3 fabric covers over input panels, one each side just in front of each rear wheel and the other on the offside rear wall just above the "post box". There should also be some odd bracketery on the rear wall of the cab assuming the truck in question retains it's rear wall. I've got some details "on file" of the kit that went there if anybody wants to know I'll try and dig it out.
Dealing with the role I'll try and cull the "highlights" from my aticle "Electronic Warfare, an insight into the role of VAMPIRE's and 101 EW's" that was published in the Ex Military Land Rover Association Newsletter.
There were two intercept Complexes per 14 Sig Regt Squadron. The Complex was usually located approx 5 kilometers behind the FEBA usually central to the VAMPIRE "line" which was about 1 to 2 kilometers back from FEBA, there were 4 VAMPIRE's per Troop. The VAMPIRE's fed back to the Intercept Complex with each Complex responsible for hostile comms upto 70 kilometers away. The EW Complex then passed this info back to Div EWCC.
Each Intercept Complex consisted of 6 101's plus a range of support vehicles. The 101's usually reversed into a tailor made tent and were all hooked up to each other. It is probable that each EW 101 had a different role to perform within the Complex so internal equipment fit would be different for each truck, so it is reasonable to suppose that there are only 3 of each EW variant. I am aware of the following roles;
1 x 101 was the "Terminal" and this towed the Troop Sankey water bowser.
1 x 101 was the "DFC" truck.
1 x 101 [my "old" 101] was an Intercept and towed a Sankey that carried a 21 meter mast.
I've not yet been able to clarify the roles of the other 3 101's in the Complex.
So an interesting vehicle that should remain unmolested.
My "old" 101EW now resides with a collector in the Netherlands. I sold it on when I realised I had gone as far as I could afford "restoring" the 101 to it's 14 EW role. £1,400.00 to get a bit of Watkins Johnson radio kit from the USA meant it had to go. A beautiful mint truck with 8,000 miles recorded - three years later I still suffer from withdrawal symptoms!
Cheers
Peter

Hi Guys,

Pete your breakdown of the EW role FC101 is close to the actual deployment but not quite. The equipment fitted in the back was role specific and I can't go into details but there were 3 operational and 1 war reserve EW Troops each consiting of 1 x Pilot, 1 x DFC, 2 x Intercept & 1 x Message Centre. Now all of these vehicles were indentical on the outside with only the internal equipment being different. When each troop deployed the five EW vans (as they were known) were backed-up to openings in a 12x12 tent with their rear doors removed to form a EW complex with instructions or orders passed verbally between operators in the back of the vehicles. The four VAMPIRE vehicles were controled from this complex. As for the number of these vehicles I believe there to be 21, four troops of five vehicles plus 1 Sqn Probe (forward recce) maybee 2 so 22 EW FC101's max. As I have said earlier they all looked identical on the outside with only the internal equipment varying to role. They were converted from standard Radio Body FFR FC101's in the UK and then shipped to Germany and Deployed with 14 Signal Regt (EW) hance the reason that they are all LHD. The reason that I know all this, is that I was the Troop Technician for one of the EW Troops when we converted from ser II/III hardtop FFR's to the I Tonnies as we called them and hence the reason I can't go into details of the equpment carried in the back (still bound by the official secrets act even though I left the "men in green" 15 years ago)

:cheers: PS The Sqn Probe is now one of the exibits in the Royal Signal Musuem at Blandford.

Hi TNK
Thanks for your comprehensive feedback. I'm glad my conjecture based on many conversations, much head scratching and reading was reasonably near the mark.
Like yourself a lot of my contacts could only go so far with info because of the Official Secrets Act.
I don't suppose you have any unit photos of the EW's do you? I've got a shot of six EW's just after interior fit out by REME Central Workshop at Chilwell.
Cheer & thanks
Peter

peterb110 said:
Hi TNK
Thanks for your comprehensive feedback. I'm glad my conjecture based on many conversations, much head scratching and reading was reasonably near the mark.
Like yourself a lot of my contacts could only go so far with info because of the Official Secrets Act.
I don't suppose you have any unit photos of the EW's do you? I've got a shot of six EW's just after interior fit out by REME Central Workshop at Chilwell.
Cheer & thanks
Peter

Hi Peter,

No photo's i'm afraid as cameras were a no no anywhere near these vehicles

Hi All

I heard about this thread a few days ago and thought I'd take a look. The truck does indeed have many Intercept features. Others are missing but could well have been removed.

In the positive there are: correct patch panel covers, document transfer drawer under rear ladder, flap over rear door window, eberspacher heater grille above airfilter cover, box on rear for earth rods and sledgehammer. The storage brackets for the rear door steps appear to have been removed, as has the spare wheel mount and protection bars at front. Its hard to tell from the photos, but it is possible that there is evidence that the double rear bumperettes have also been removed.

The rear door window looks as though it has been added, as Intercepts normally have an expanded steel mesh panel under the cover rather than glass.

Please could you let me know the serial number (964...) so that it can be checked in the 101 Club database?

My own personal Intercept (70FL95) is not the most complete example that I know of. Peter's ex 71FL01 now owned by Julf is the best I've seen. 70FL95 has no original internal fitments. Externally its close to original though but I had to remove the document drawer for practical purposes (nothing lost during removal though). The patch panels were plated over during its service in silver at the Glastonbury Festival (previous owner) so I'm looking for the necessary patch panels, but I'm realistic as to the slim prospect of finding them! I've got one so far though...

Photos of the truck in the Royal Signals Museum are here:
http://www.101fc.org/~jb/RoyalSignalsMuseum.htm along with many other 101 photos. There was once a proper Intercept subsection with pics of about 5 IIRC, but the site appears to have reverted to an older version. I'll update it one day - honest!

John
70FL95

Happy Christmas & New Year!!

I have just come back from the holidays and as promised here are the pics. Yes I found the VIN, I feel a bit silly now as it was on the floor of the cabin.

I am having trouble uploading my pics but here is my VIN: 96400312 A

TurfTavern said:
Happy Christmas & New Year!!

I have just come back from the holidays and as promised here are the pics. Yes I found the VIN, I feel a bit silly now as it was on the floor of the cabin.

I am having trouble uploading my pics but here is my VIN: 96400312 A

Right - here they are!!

Attachments

• DSC00500.JPG
    DSC00500.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC00498.JPG
    DSC00498.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC00496.JPG
    DSC00496.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC00493.JPG
    DSC00493.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC00489.JPG
    DSC00489.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 154
As a purist I would beseach you to stabilise the truck to stop any further degradation, and slowly restore it to its former glory.

Going to such shows as Beltring and the EMLRA membership will pay off in spades and im sure that people will come out of the woodwork and help you in the restoration of this machine.

Enjoy it you lucky #$^^&&&*!!

Robin Craig

Okay, here are a few more pics. As you can see from them, the heater has been removed. There aren't any seats or shelves in the back. If this truck was ever an Intercept it looks like most of the qualities have been removed. there isn't a hard wall that devides the cabin and rear but a soft canopy that drops. I am a little curious to know what the "infrared" switch is and does. If there are any other pics that people would like to see let me know. I did find via:

http://www.lrfaq.org/FC/FAQ.S.chassis_numbering.964.html

that my brute is listed as:

Label No. - Vehicle Serial # - In - Out - Colour - Dispatched To

3/39 - 96400312 - 14 Oct 1976 - 22 Oct 1976 - Brze Grn - Ashchurch

Thanks for everyones imput and help

Attachments

• DSC00490.JPG
    DSC00490.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC00491.JPG
    DSC00491.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC00492.JPG
    DSC00492.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC00497.JPG
    DSC00497.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC00499.JPG
    DSC00499.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 129
Infra-Red Light Switch - could be real FUN...

From the manual:

The headlight infra-red switch, fitted adjacent to the light switch, when operated extinguishes all vehicle lights except the headlights, irrespective of the position of the lighting switch. The system is designed to be used in conjunction with infra-red shields fitted over the headlights and requires the use of special goggles which are worn by the operator.

So you can drive around in the dark without your lights on! :eek:

Keith Hart

Hi
Thanks for the photo of the data plate. The registration 72FL01 is on my list as one of 17 EW Intercepts that I think is reasonably accurate. I have it recorded as once belonging to Bruce Kinzer in the USA. I'm reasonably confident from a photo I've got of 72FL01 taken in 2002 that the door side plate was fitted when in service with 14 Sig EW.
The other photographs tell me that you will have a lot of work to do to get the interior back to basic intercept status.
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom