• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

101 Forward Control "Radio"

[QUOTE John, great pics - thank you for sharing them; if at all possible can you post some interior shots??
[/QUOTE]

My interior EW photos are here: The Royal Signals Regt Museum. Note that 72FL39 is very similar to 71FL01.

70FL95 has a civilian interior as all internals were stripped by the previous owner. There is no evidence remaining to suggest that it had the solid bulkhead seen in 71FL01 and 72FL39. From Peter's research we know that there were several different EW configurations so it is quite possible that 70FL95 in-service had the canvas fume curtain that it has now between the cab and rear.

John Bailey said:
My interior EW photos are here: The Royal Signals Regt Museum. Note that 72FL39 is very similar to 71FL01.

70FL95 has a civilian interior as all internals were stripped by the previous owner. There is no evidence remaining to suggest that it had the solid bulkhead seen in 71FL01 and 72FL39. From Peter's research we know that there were several different EW configurations so it is quite possible that 70FL95 in-service had the canvas fume curtain that it has now between the cab and rear.

Great photos John!! :D

Hello

does this mean that you will not be changing the engine to a desiel one and putting bigger tyres on with a wopping sound system and painting it bright colours and choping the roof about to fit a large family of illegal immargrants in???

Ha ha ha???

peterb110 said:
Hi Ian
I believe the front protection bars, spare wheel mount, interior radio tables and associated hardware were made by the REME Central Workshop at Chilwell in Nottingham. They were made specifically for the Intercept and would be a very short "production" run in house by REME and would not be generally available.

John may be able to help out with photograghs and dimensions of the spare wheel mount and front protection bars.

OK, here are some photos...

HTH

Attachments

• INSIDE.JPG
    INSIDE.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 75
  • NSF1.JPG
    NSF1.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 112
  • OSF1.JPG
    OSF1.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 74
  • OSF2.JPG
    OSF2.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 80
  • OSF3.JPG
    OSF3.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 125
  • SPARE1.JPG
    SPARE1.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 91
  • SPARE2.JPG
    SPARE2.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 76
  • SPARE3.JPG
    SPARE3.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 63
  • SPARE4.JPG
    SPARE4.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 75
  • SPARE5.JPG
    SPARE5.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 99
  • SPARE6.JPG
    SPARE6.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 63
Look out - interloper on the thread! As a relative newcomer to the world of Land Rover, I don't usually stray outside the Disco forum and the mad house that is the Public Discussion forum. It's very 'quiet' in here - very studious. Having said that, I've always liked the 101, just never knew much about them. This thread shows just what a handsome wagon the 101FFC is, as is the mysterious 'Vampire'. With only 2700 made, I guess all 101's are about as rare as rocking horse poo and without masses of time, space and workshop facilities, I can but stand at a distance and admire. Super trucks guys, well done.

Roger.

Okay, sorry I have been MIA these past months but i have had some issues with my 101. I had a list of repairs:

As of yet these are the components that have been replaced:

-Rear left brake light (bulb)
-Cold Choke
-Dash lights
-Ignition coil
-Contact breakers (Points)
-Condenser
-Heater hose
-Demister tube
-Windscreen Wipers

Now i found out that the petrol tube is leaking and the engine throttle isn't working correctly. So I have to sort that out some how this weekend.

A few questions:

-While driving in 4th, and taking your foot off the accelerator, creates a horrible noise in the rear of the cab, sounds like the engine (or something) wants to separate from the 101 but i can see anything that would be causing this noise. Any ideas???
-Also, how fast can you push your 101, mine does not seem to be going very fast, like 40-45mph is its top?? This can not be right, any ideas and/or reasons???

bests,
Ian :guiness:

While driving in 4th, and taking your foot off the accelerator, creates a horrible noise in the rear of the cab, sounds like the engine (or something) wants to separate from the 101 but i can see anything that would be causing this noise. Any ideas???

Sounds like the 'ususal' prop shaft rumble that you get to a various extent on most 101s. I believe that it's caused by the angle that the prop shaft enters the gearbox and axle.

Also, how fast can you push your 101, mine does not seem to be going very fast, like 40-45mph is its top?? This can not be right, any ideas and/or reasons???

My normal top speed would be about 40-45 mph. I normaly trundle around at about 30 mph, but of course I have clients with me and we are in no hurry. I have had the vehicle up to 55 mph on the motorway once and it felt VERY fast! I think they they will go faster it's just that from inside the cab the engine sounds like it is about to jump out of its fittings.

I hear tales of people driving 101's at 60+ mph, but I'm not sure if that is with the standard engine and gearbox.

These are a low geared vehicle remember.

Keith Hart

I agree with Keith, sounds like usual front propshaft rumble on over-run.

My 101 has a rebuilt set of SU carbs but is otherwise standard. A professional tune up transformed it, accelerates like a scalded cat and will do well over 60 but 55 ish is a comfortable motorway cruising speed. Had it up to 75 for a short period once but would'nt do it again, seriously scary! Speedo is accurate. If doing a lot of long runs, a set of high ratio transfer gears or an overdrive are a good idea.

Check if you are getting full travel on the throttle. If still on Stomberg carbs, check the state of the diaphragms.

By the petrol tube I take it you mean the filler tube? Can be a bit of a pig to change, I've beeen carrying a spare for ages but keep putting it off. Just fill up slowly at the petrol station and it doesn't leak too much.

photo4x4 said:
Sounds like the 'ususal' prop shaft rumble that you get to a various extent on most 101s. I believe that it's caused by the angle that the prop shaft enters the gearbox and axle.

My normal top speed would be about 40-45 mph. I normaly trundle around at about 30 mph, but of course I have clients with me and we are in no hurry. I have had the vehicle up to 55 mph on the motorway once and it felt VERY fast! I think they they will go faster it's just that from inside the cab the engine sounds like it is about to jump out of its fittings.

I hear tales of people driving 101's at 60+ mph, but I'm not sure if that is with the standard engine and gearbox.

These are a low geared vehicle remember.

Keith Hart
Thanks, I checked it out and sure enough it seems to be the propshaft. I had a friend fiddle with it and it sounds much better.

101Sean said:
I agree with Keith, sounds like usual front propshaft rumble on over-run.

My 101 has a rebuilt set of SU carbs but is otherwise standard. A professional tune up transformed it, accelerates like a scalded cat and will do well over 60 but 55 ish is a comfortable motorway cruising speed. Had it up to 75 for a short period once but would'nt do it again, seriously scary! Speedo is accurate. If doing a lot of long runs, a set of high ratio transfer gears or an overdrive are a good idea.

Check if you are getting full travel on the throttle. If still on Stomberg carbs, check the state of the diaphragms.

By the petrol tube I take it you mean the filler tube? Can be a bit of a pig to change, I've beeen carrying a spare for ages but keep putting it off. Just fill up slowly at the petrol station and it doesn't leak too much.
I do mean the filler tube, I will have to order one but it isn't giving me to much of a headache, I believe i can hold off on it untill i can afford an actual overhaul. In the mean time the the most recent problem are the signal lights. They seem to have decided to work when they want too. I might have problem and may need to rewire.

I had a friend take look at the engine and clean some bits and since the replacement of the ignition coil it is much better. I now feel more comfortable driving around 55mph. There is still that ambient noise but i can live with it for the time being.

:confused: I still have a load of work to do and am not sure where to begin but at least for the time being she can take me from point "A" to point "B". IN any event thanks for the replies!! :rofl:

A hearty greeting from across the pond...........

I have been a forum member for a little while now and I have been reading through old threads looking for information relating to a 101 Forward Control that I purchased not too long ago. Great forum BTW.

Well imagine my surprise when I came across this thread started by a former owner. I would really like to chat with anyone who can help me fill in the any of the past history via historical photos or information, in-service history would also be very very welcome.

I would also like to track down this previous owner as the vehicle is missing many of the bits that are in his posted pics.

Thank you in advance for any and all replies. I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
Cory

A hearty greeting from across the pond...........

I have been a forum member for a little while now and I have been reading through old threads looking for information relating to a 101 Forward Control that I purchased not too long ago. Great forum BTW.

Well imagine my surprise when I came across this thread started by a former owner. I would really like to chat with anyone who can help me fill in the any of the past history via historical photos or information, in-service history would also be very very welcome.

I would also like to track down this previous owner as the vehicle is missing many of the bits that are in his posted pics.

Thank you in advance for any and all replies. I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
Cory

Hello Cory,

It has been a good while since i was on this forum due to life being in the way. I am afraid I was forced to sell my Rovers some time ago due to my work bringing me out to Asia.

As I mentioned in a previous post "the "Espepacker" petrol powered heater, radio shelves (along with the equipment), and the spare tyre mount had been removed prior to my acquisition" which, sadly, i never recovered.

If you have any further questions I would be happy to answer them to the best of my abilty.

Regards,
Ian

Hello Ian,

Thanks for the reply. What a coincidence you logging back onto the forum the same day I decide to revive your old post. I would very much like to chat with you to document your time with the 101. I have lots of questions and not many answers. More bits have gone missing since the photos you posted. I would really like to restore her back but I fear that it may be too far gone with too much missing to ever hope to bring her back. Please let me know the best way to contact you and we can go over my list and see what you remember. Talk with you soon.

Cheers,
Cory

Hey Ian. What happened? Sure would like to chat with you. Really hope that you see this again and can find the time to chat. Would also love to talk to others who had posted to this thread way back when. There was some great info posted and some of the links do not work any more so would enjoy seeing what they pointed too. Hope to hear from some of you.

Cheers,
Cory

Back
Top Bottom