• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

101 Forward Control "Radio"

Do not under any circumstances fiddle with the infra red switch :eek: , you will induce total light failure at the most inappropriate time, usually in the dark and pouring rain!!!! Most unreliable bit of electrickery produced by the Prince of Darkness! Most of us bypass it as either the switch or relay will burn out and they were never fitted to the Rapier trucks AFAIK. Can be done with a simple loop of wire without removing anything.

peterb110 said:
Hi
Thanks for the photo of the data plate. The registration 72FL01 is on my list as one of 17 EW Intercepts that I think is reasonably accurate. I have it recorded as once belonging to Bruce Kinzer in the USA. I'm reasonably confident from a photo I've got of 72FL01 taken in 2002 that the door side plate was fitted when in service with 14 Sig EW.
The other photographs tell me that you will have a lot of work to do to get the interior back to basic intercept status.
Cheers
That is correct I purchased my 101 from Bruce Kinzer. This new uncovered information puts me in a difficult position - Investing $$$ in bringing it back to its former glory or being sent to Land Rover hell for blasphemy and upgrading it to be my daily. The fact remains that I indeed am missing most of the qualities that makes my 101 an Intercept. Where can I retrieve all this information for myself?? The 14 sig EW and where it was made etc.

cheers,
Ian Baines

101Sean said:
Do not under any circumstances fiddle with the infra red switch :eek: , you will induce total light failure at the most inappropriate time, usually in the dark and pouring rain!!!! Most unreliable bit of electrickery produced by the Prince of Darkness! Most of us bypass it as either the switch or relay will burn out and they were never fitted to the Rapier trucks AFAIK. Can be done with a simple loop of wire without removing anything.

Thanks for the heads up, I only hope I have not already done myself in. :(

It is very cold at the moment and my 101 suffers by not turning over or if i am lucky sputtering and mis firing. Any way to resolve this easily??

bests,
Ian

Darren was kind enough to show a picture of my Intercept when it was up to snuff. Does anyone know where I can find a spare wheel mount and protection bars (Part numbers)? Can anyone supply other part numbers and/or desciption of other key Intercept parts that I am sure I am missing?

Bests,
Ian

Attachments

• 96400312A_72FL01_01.JPG
    96400312A_72FL01_01.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 140
Hi Ian
I believe the front protection bars, spare wheel mount, interior radio tables and associated hardware were made by the REME Central Workshop at Chilwell in Nottingham. They were made specifically for the Intercept and would be a very short "production" run in house by REME and would not be generally available.
You will therefore have a very difficult task trying to source original kit. You may find it less frustrating, though probably quite expensive, to get individual parts fabricated locally. John may be able to help out with photograghs and dimensions of the spare wheel mount and front protection bars.
The interior presents a much more difficult problem! As I said in an earlier email the interior fit out varied with perhaps 6 different interior layouts in use. I've trawled through my ex REME photographs of intercept interiors and unfortunately haven't got one of your original interior. So that will need more research.
However, it should be relatively straight forward to rebuild the alloy partition that seperated the cab from the intercept interior. The Eberspacher was enclosed behind the driver's seat and the vehicle batteries behind the passenger seat. Once that is in place you can then get the Intercept compartment interior painted matt white in anticipation of finding some kit to go in there!
Cheers

Ignore them all!

Best idea is to chop the back off, fit a roll cage and make it into a trialler. Get rid of the V8 and put a decent big diesel in it. Fit some oversize tyres - hey better still buy another EW wagon, cut it in half and weld the back of it to yours and make a 6x6!!
And dont forget a new paint job (purple or tiger stripes are always good on a 101)

peterb110 said:
Hi Ian
I believe the front protection bars, spare wheel mount, interior radio tables and associated hardware were made by the REME Central Workshop at Chilwell in Nottingham. They were made specifically for the Intercept and would be a very short "production" run in house by REME and would not be generally available.
You will therefore have a very difficult task trying to source original kit. You may find it less frustrating, though probably quite expensive, to get individual parts fabricated locally. John may be able to help out with photograghs and dimensions of the spare wheel mount and front protection bars.
The interior presents a much more difficult problem! As I said in an earlier email the interior fit out varied with perhaps 6 different interior layouts in use. I've trawled through my ex REME photographs of intercept interiors and unfortunately haven't got one of your original interior. So that will need more research.
However, it should be relatively straight forward to rebuild the alloy partition that seperated the cab from the intercept interior. The Eberspacher was enclosed behind the driver's seat and the vehicle batteries behind the passenger seat. Once that is in place you can then get the Intercept compartment interior painted matt white in anticipation of finding some kit to go in there!
Cheers

Cheers - I will look into it. Where can I find Interior Intercept pics?

spacehopper said:
Ignore them all!

Best idea is to chop the back off, fit a roll cage and make it into a trialler. Get rid of the V8 and put a decent big diesel in it. Fit some oversize tyres - hey better still buy another EW wagon, cut it in half and weld the back of it to yours and make a 6x6!!
And dont forget a new paint job (purple or tiger stripes are always good on a 101)
Wow, thank you for your candid dissuasion. Although, if it's all the same, I am not entirely sure where the councel begins and the sarcasm ends.

TurfTavern said:
Cheers - I will look into it. Where can I find Interior Intercept pics?

Wow, thank you for your candid dissuasion. Although, if it's all the same, I am not entirely sure where the councel begins and the sarcasm ends.

A joke yes, sarcasm, no! I have had a 101 for many years, people think I'm crazy but I've learned to realise that they are probably right and not to take myself too seriously. Best of luck with your truck, I think its great! Radio bodiy variants are the best 101s - I always wanted one!

Sorry for not joining in earlier, only got a heads-up about this thread recently. More than happy to provide whatever info, pics etc. I might contribute from 71FL01...

julf said:
Sorry for not joining in earlier, only got a heads-up about this thread recently. More than happy to provide whatever info, pics etc. I might contribute from 71FL01...

I own th 72 FL 01, please send any pics you have on the interior and the fron spare wheel and protection bars.

cheers
Ian

julf said:
Will do - will go down to the garage tonight to take some specific pics.

Julf

cheers Julf

---------------------------

Can anyone verify that this is what the spare wheel carrier looks like on my type of 101???

bests,
Ian

Attachments

• 44_12_sb.JPG
    44_12_sb.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 48_12_sb.JPG
    48_12_sb.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 58
  • a4_12_sb.JPG
    a4_12_sb.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 53
  • e2_12_sb.JPG
    e2_12_sb.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 50
  • f5_0.JPG
    f5_0.JPG
    1.4 KB · Views: 63
Here are some quick-and-dirty pics. I can take some better pictures over the weekend, and maybe even wipe off some of the dust :)

Attachments

• 101-interior2.jpg
    101-interior2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 101-interior1.jpg
    101-interior1.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 101-front3.jpg
    101-front3.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 101-front2.jpg
    101-front2.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 101-front1.jpg
    101-front1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 117
julf said:
Here are some quick-and-dirty pics. I can take some better pictures over the weekend, and maybe even wipe off some of the dust :)

Thanks so very much for the pics!! :rolleyes: They look great!!

Is it at all possible to get the dimensions for the spare wheel mount and protection bars, so that i can have a mate fabricate them. I doubt i will be able to find originals.

cheers
Ian

:D

TurfTavern said:
Is it at all possible to get the dimensions for the spare wheel mount and protection bars, so that i can have a mate fabricate them.
Sure! Are you in a hurry? Measuring the spare wheel mount requires taking off the spare wheel, and that in turn requires moving a fair amount of Very Useful Things as the vehicle is in winter storage...

julf said:
Sure! Are you in a hurry? Measuring the spare wheel mount requires taking off the spare wheel, and that in turn requires moving a fair amount of Very Useful Things as the vehicle is in winter storage...

No, I am in no rush. I just wanted to get ahead start on fabricating for the spring. Thanks

Ian :rofl:

Attached are a few photos taken at Beltring in 2003 and one of 70FL95 in the woods which should be of interest...

Attachments

• 025_22.JPG
    025_22.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 96
  • 026_23.JPG
    026_23.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 028_25.JPG
    028_25.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 009_6A.JPG
    009_6A.JPG