• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

2.25 petrol engine problems

Have you got a starting handle?

And do you want a hernia and skinned knuckles? LOL

Last time I used a starting handle was on a Morris Minor Van, many, many years ago! Mind you, it DID start easily. I've never tried a starting handle on a Landie myself - may do when it comes back just to see what happens. :)

I understand where you're coming from with this, but as I've said before, when the engine was a little 'tired' and smoking a bit, there was no problem - I fixed it and 'voila!' problem! :(

As for 'freqmikey' - okay then, I'll let you off (justthis once though! lol).

The vehicle goes back into service this weekend, so unless Heinie comes up with an answer, it'll be next winter's service/tinker-time before I get any further with it (if, in fact, I do!). But, like the good mechanic that I (thought I?) am, I'll keep poking around and see what I can dig up. :)

Kindest regards all
George.
Well, that says that something you did has created this problem. It could be a broken ring - that's easy enough to do and not notice when fitting the pistons, or cleaning up the valve seats (or replacing them) may have resulted in a bad seal, allowing compression/combustion stroke pressure to pass up the valve guide and into the crank case. Maybe a timing error on the cam shaft is causing a similar gas leak through the valve guides. It could be a fauly head gasket...

Hi All

All the best for 2020 to all of you...

I just read your posts regarding Heinie's and Georges problems, looking for answers because I have the same problem with my 73 Series 3 2.25 Petrol.

I have rebuilt the motor completely (NOT MYSELF but a Reputable Land Rover Mechanic who only works on Series Landy's for the past 30 odd years). Everything to the last washer and seal is brand new parts.

Came back from a fishing trip and found oil all over the left side of the motor (standing in front looking at motor) coming from the breather below the oil filler. The oil level dropped from the full mark to the low mark same as George's Landy.
I don't have the PCV valve set up from this breather but do have the breather from the tappet cover to the air in take to the carb.

I have called the mechanic to what is the cause, he said because I have put strain on the motor by going up a steep hill the pistons is new it creates more down pressure in the sump and will become better as the motor runs in.
I have only done now about 140kilometers with new motor and driving at max 70-80km/ph.

Did you guys manage to find the problem ? If you have please let us know.

Hope to hear from you

Regards

Alex

he said because I have put strain on the motor by going up a steep hill the pistons is new it creates more down pressure in the sump and will become better as the motor runs in.
That's a new one. "Whatever you do, don't drive up and down hills"....

Would you have a photo of the breather below the filler pipe that it's leaking from? I'm kind of struggling to picture that in my minds eye. Then hopefully we will be able to get you sorted.

Welcome to the forum! :)

A photo would be helpful.
But without one I'm thinking what could be leaking oil in the area mentioned if the crankcase was NOT under pressure .. going on my own experience over the years of new engines.
I'd check that oil isn't dribbling down the side of the engine somehow from the rocker cover and also that the small oil pipe isn't leaking at the rear of the engine connecting the crankcase with the head.............. but my first suspect would probably be the oil filter itself.
The filter bowl could be coming loose or the bolts that hold the filter unit on the side of the engine may have become slack.
Another suspect would be the fuel pump. The bolts holding it on the engine may have become loose.
Also the oil filler pipe plate may be loose on the side of the engine.

Oil filter! I didn't connect that with 'breather'.

As @Series 1 2 & 3 says, there are any number of things to leak. Mine used to leak at the bottom of the filler pipe, and from the fuel lift pump mounting. Something to do with there being no gaskets fitted by the previous spanner monkey. A gasket on both soon sorted that out.

Yeah it sounds like glass hammers and long stands to tell someone don't drive up a hill while your engine is bedding in. The bedding in process is real and you should watch HOW you drive but not WHERE you drive. No labouring the engine etc.
I'd bet some daft gaskets gone or this 30 year expert isn't.
I have had an engine pressurise the sump enough to blow oil out, but the rings were gone and the blowby was so ferocious that I blew all my oil out during a 70mph (honest officer) sprint down a dual carrage way and had to limp home on 5psi pressure. The engine was toast.

:) A mechanic who has 'only' worked on Series Landie's for 30yrs ! Wow, that's some achievement...... I guess he'd never be short of work though !! ;)

So, he may well have anticipated the common feature of an old Land Rover, their ability to leak oil !
Perhaps he over filled the sump to compensate for that ?
It'll throw what it doesn't want all over the place, and there are so many potential places for it to leak, spray, drip or ooze out, as listed above, especially if it's blown a gasket out somewhere too.....Clean it all off with a dry rag and then run the engine and see if you can get a clue where it may have been coming from...if poss, and if it's not obvious where it's leaking after a clean up, take photo's and post here :cool:

Back
Top Bottom