• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

2020 defender

I just flat out don't like it. It looks a bit like that daft giant mini. I don't really like any of the modern Land Rover offerings though. The new discovery is plain fugly, as is the latest range Rover. The ewok is for hairdressers and ladies. The latest freelander is probably the least offensive but still Abit bling for my tastes.

Builders et al will likely continue using Nissan navaras, Ford rangers etc... Let's face it, the new defender isn't aimed at a utility market. Land Rover is a luxury car brand now and I suspect that, other than a nod to it's history - mostly just in the name but also a few styling things, LR have washed their hands completely from the utility market.

Heart strings tugged

defender-2055.jpg

ps if you can bear to sit through 20 mins of set pieces and corporate buzzwords such as iconic, DNA, rugged and essence. the offlne version of official land rover frankfurt reveal is here...

The configurator is live. You might want to get your mortgage application in first though...

First, you have to choose your spec. Standard Defender 110 (then base, S, SE or HSE), Defender First Edition or chintzy Defender 110 X. Prices start at £45,240, £58,860 and £78,800 respectively. The standard Defender 110 gets a choice of engines - a 2.0-litre diesel with 200 or 240bhp or a 2.0-litre petrol with 300bhp. The First Edition is only available with the 240bhp diesel, while the 110 X is so far the only Defender with the 400bhp mild-hybrid straight-six petrol.
Then you’re into the options list, which is very dangerous indeed. Some option costs change depending on what spec you’ve gone for (the 22in wheels, for example, cost £4,900 on the basic, normally steel-wheeled Defender), but in any case things get very silly very quickly. The 110 X might start at almost £80K, but you can still add a load to it that sees the RRP sail past £92K. For a Defender.

Ouch, now where is the ibuprofen packet.

I really like it......can't afford it, but i really like it. Nice design ques to the Series, the waist line, the three front seats, the upper and lower rail to the dash, the solid wing tops and the flat cut back and safari door. LR obviously feel the leisure market will be their main aim but have hedged their bets with a commercial option. I hope it does well for them.....now, where did I put that lottery ticket?

I'm pleasantly surprised - it's much less worse than I thought it might be, and I really like the dashboard, a clever echo of the old one. Like others here, the steel-wheeled 90 is probably my ideal, which makes it frustrating that I can't seem to get the LR configurator to let me choose anything but a 110.

In all the promotional videos I've seen so far, I haven't been able to get a proper look at what the inside rear of the 90 looks like.

Al.

using my internationally accredited yard stick of 1982 land rover prices (lol) and bank of england inflation calculator. a 1982 109 CSW works out at roughly 41 grand in todays money, national average house price was 24k back then. national average house price is now 215k (both figures from nationwide building society)

so a posh 109 in 1982 was worth half a house, now its worth 40% of a house (using 80k example of new 110 X). if you compare it to national average wages a posh 109 in 1982 was 1.6 times national average wage, posh landy now is 2.5 times national average wage. (single wage)

not sure what that says, other than wages have not risen with inflation

:D well, to be fair i am taking peoples comments seriously, that new land rover is overpriced. and my answer is always the same, they have always been expensive, its just peoples memories are short !

Yep agreed, they've never been a cheap car, hence (in part) why they've been overtaken by jap substitutes.

I expect 95% will be purchased on 3-4 year lease schemes to make them ‘affordable’. This means that they can jack up the asking price because they can fake the estimated residual price the end of the finance to make them more affordable, if for whatever reason they don’t shift enough of them.
I hate finance schemes of any kind and try to save for things but where cars are now concerned, dealers are very reluctant to discount the list price even of 3 year old used cars as they make so much on the finance.

I hate finance schemes of any kind and try to save for things but where cars are now concerned,

yep, most cars arent cars anymore, just treated like consumer goods. like the bloke at work used to say "i got a free phone with my monthly contract". for millenials the concept of ownership is transient :D

Some more detailed technical information from this Oz article: https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/2020-land-rover-defender-50-facts-figures

A few salient ones:

14 - Defender's electrics gets IP67 electrical rating
The electronics and connections in the new Defender have been designed to meet the IP67 water immersion standards. That means they can be submerged in one metre of fresh water for an hour without intrusion or damage.

31 - Bullbar
Land Rover has developed a ’roo bar specifically for Australia. To be made of steel, the bar will be offered as an accessory, keeping intact all sensors and safety systems. The ’roo bar will be revealed closer to the car’s June 2020 on-sale date.

34 - Crawl time
The Defender has an impressively low crawl ratio of 51.5:1 for diesel versions and 57.2:1 for the six-cylinder petrol.

45 - Stopping power
There is no mechanical link between the brake pedal and the brake discs. Instead the Defender gets a brake-by-wire system claimed to provide more “precise, linear brake pressures”. Engineers also say the electronic braking system helps with off-road traction due to the ability to better regulate braking to each individual wheel.

Back
Top Bottom