• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

3 link front suspension

AndyD

Offroader
Hi,

I'm working on making my own 3 link front suspension system for my 90. Basic design similar to that used by US rock crawling trucks.

Is anyone on the group interested in this setup for there own truck ?

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a pic of the front axle assembly being mocked up on the bench. I'll get the laser cut parts next week for it. The radius arms are being made by QT Services and are varients on there ultra light ones with 6 degrees of crank on the chassis end for unloading the bushes at full droop. I haven't decided what the middle link will be yet but I'm tending towards another QT arm with greasing for the chassis bushing to allow for the radial movement.

Cheers,

Attachments

• axle.JPG
    axle.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 549
  • QT Arm.jpg
    QT Arm.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 325
  • QT Arm_1.jpg
    QT Arm_1.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 269
will be interesting to see the finished article andy, if you need to borrow that LRM then PM me with your address and i will send it.

Thanks Ant, you have a PM.

BTW, if anyones got a pair of front twin shock mount turrets that they want to sell let us know.

Otherwise anyone got them fitted so I can draw them up ?

Cheers,

Hi Andy I the have safari gard 3 link fitted to my 90 if there is anything i can help you with please feel free to ask

Its hard to say really as I'm running on 35-14.5x15 Super Swamper Boggers which are realy bad on the road but the should be fixed next week when I fit the 35-12.5x15 ProComp EXterains. it doesn't roll to bad on the corners but i'm trying to get a anti-roll bar with disconnects just to stiffen the front up on the road. oh and its lifted around 6". a good point about the 3rd link rod is tha you can extend or shorten it to get thr caster and diff back to normal. Its great for the twisty stuff giving about 30" of travel on the front end I also have the Safari Gard set up on the back

Attachments

• SG FRONTEND.jpg
    SG FRONTEND.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 571
  • SG REAREND.jpg
    SG REAREND.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 443
Hi Copper,

Questions then, you asked for it..... :D

1. What springs are you running, rates / lengths etc ?
2. What shocks, within front turrets or outside etc ?
3. What bushes are fitted at the chassis end, poly's or std ?

All I can think off for now.... need a pint to get the grey matter fired up :rolleyes:

Got any pics of it ?.... Ta, my rears the same setup, cranked arms cones etc. Was planning on relocating the damper top mounts forwards to use longer extension ones once the front's done.

Cheers,

Hi Andy
The springs I'm running are ProComp 2" and ProComp 4" shocks all round.
All the shock mounts have been lowered 2"
All the bumpstops are 2" bigger and are made by DayStar
the brake lines are 4" over long steel braided and are still not long enough
i'll take some better pic for you at the weekend

Hi,

I'm currently running the procomp 2" lift springs & shocks, braided lines etc. Was thinking of getting some dual rate springs once I've got it back on the road again to stop dis-location. Will also mount the front dampers outside the spring turret using dual damper mounts with hoop/hoop procomps sized to maximum allowable without bottoming them out.

That'll be a bit measure & estimate really... at later stage

Cheers,

thats some set up copper!! :eek: dave, hope you are keeping templates?? i might want you to build me a set haha for a fee naturally ps the mag is in the post Ant

I have all the parts drawn up on AutoCad. If I need more the laser cutters keep the drawings on file so they can make as required. You certainly wouldn't want to be cutting out 8mm plate with a jigsaw !!

Cheers,

Andy,

Nice looking system.

Q are you going to use an "A" frame for the centre link or just a straight bar?

if straight, how are you going to locate the axle?

Bob

The Safari gard has aheavy dute X-member and a real heavy dute threaded center bar that connects to the trac rod protection bar

I'm making a new heavy duty x-member to locate the central (3rd) link. Haven't decided if I'll use a threaded one similar to other systems that are available or a shortened QT radius arm and rely on the chassis end bushing for radial movement. That would be alot stronger but it wouldn't allow for castor adjustment. For me it's not a problem as I limited on lift to a 7' clear entry on my garage/workshop. So with the external cage I can only go to 2" lift on 235/85 tyres.

Would also need to provide a means of greasing the bushes at the x-member end too but this is simply a central drilling and grease nipple.

Axle location is provided by the existing panhard rod but I'll be replacing it with an adjustable one from Scorpion to correct for the lift.

Cheers,

Andy,

Just thinking about the geometry here.

If you fit an "A" frame centre bar, will you still need a panhard rod as the axle location will be provided by the "A" frame?

Bob

I don't think you'd get the a-bar to fit without it hitting the sump or bellhousing there is another option and thats to have a 4-link

Back
Top Bottom