• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Cliff - 1981 Series 3 109 V8 Stage 1

Back on it again today and removed the passenger footwell

20190307-124443.jpg

Lots of spot welds and plug welds to drill out

20190307-124452.jpg

Eventually got t it out in one piece

20190307-152039.jpg

20190307-152046.jpg

Got the driver's side footwell out today.

20190309-155834.jpg

The deeper I get into this, the more I find. Seems there is a lot more rot hidden away than I first thought.

20190309-155842.jpg

I'll just work my way through slowly, find the rot and get rid of it. All a bit mundane and not particularly exciting or interesting.

Took delivery of a panel beating hammer and dolly set today, so got straight to work and made my first hand crafted replacement piece.

I need a new one of these...

20190315-173922.jpg

...so cut out a piece of steel...

20190315-173938.jpg

...and hammered it into shape...

20190315-184355.jpg

...and checked for fit...

20190315-184410.jpg

It will need a bit of fettling yet, but quite pleased with my first attempt.

I cut it out with cutting disc (1mm) on the angle grinder. I will be welding it all myself with my mig welder.
I try to do as much as I can myself, I don't like paying for labour if I can do the job myself. I also want things done to a good standard and have no idea how I work out if someone is up to the job, terrible dilemma being so untrusting. I only have myself to blame if things don't end up right this way, and I learn new skills in the process.

Carried on with passenger footwell. Made a piece to replace rot where heater bolts on, and dry fit the YRM footwell.

Cut the rotten bit of the panel away...

20190316-154339.jpg

...made the replacement section...

20190316-164748.jpg

...then checked it all for fit.

20190316-165233.jpg

Next will be to weld it in place, but before I do, I'd better decide on what to do with the A pillar. I have a replacement and new foot so will get that sorted before welding everything together.

Did your original footwell have a stiffener in it? There is extra metal for the pedal boxes, you might have it on the drivers side still, but it would originally be fitted to both sides. It fits into the thin part and up where the pedals would be if it was lhd. Obviously factory fitted as the original bulkheads were made en masse.

A photo.....

Original was spot welded in. I plug welded this one, then polished the welds back. Then drilled for the bolts which hold the mudshield, and the heater brackets. The other two bolts are where it fixes to the lh steering box bracket.

The rivets are holding the cover plates that are over the holes for the pedals, which obviously aren't there on this footwell, on the inside of the engine bay.

Mine has been got at long before I got my hands on it. Neither footwell has the ribs or stiffeners it should have. I did want to get original looking replacements, but Pegasus seem to have stopped doing them, and I wasn't sure about some other on-line options, also I wanted to get as much as possible on one delivery charge as it were, so I opted for the YRM stuff. I figured it wasn't so critical to have ribs pressed into the sheet since I'd be getting slightly thicker steel, also, I can double skin myself. I do plan to add the stiffening like you have done.
It's not so easy to get repairs as original when you are working with other peoples' repairs. I can see several patches on mine that ideally I should cut out and redo. I've decided to do the obvious repairs first then have it media blasted. I'll then reassess before galvanising. That's if I can find somewhere reliable and knowledgable enough to entrust it for galvanising.

going well :) before you weld in your foot wells i would reinstall the bulkhead to the chassis, or make a jig the same distance apart as your outrigger holes

p.s Les crombie are the well respected OEM style and quality footwells

example link

@Cliff4WD mine didn't have the ribs in, because I made the footwells myself. I was actually meaning the stiffener plate (in the photo, the part with the four bolts at the bottom, and the two on the RHS.)

It makes a huge difference to how much the pedal box flexes.

Before I started welding, I was reminded to make sure it was going to fit back onto the chassis bulkhead outriggers. After a lot of measuring and re-measuring, I drilled a piece of box section I had to hand so that I could bolt the feet to it and keep everything where it needs to be. The complication I had was that one foot had rotted and fallen off, so I had to work out where the replacement needed to go so that everything would be in the right place when it eventually gets reassembled.

I forgot to take photos as I was a bit focused on what I was doing, but took some when I remembered. I did things a bit backwards really and would definitely do things differently if I ever do it again.

You can see the datum bar in this pic
20190321-160359.jpg

With the footwell, A pillar, and foot positioned
20190321-160321.jpg

Tacked up
20190323-142459.jpg

I then took the tacked together bulkhead and fitted it back on the vehicle and checked it fitted...

20190323-144529.jpg

Phew!

Right, now for the other side. I decided the post was sound and it was just the foot that had corroded, so get the foot out and fit a new one. Drilled out the spot welds...

20190323-154523.jpg

...and postioned the new foot (lots if measuring and double checking again)...

20190323-173420.jpg

...tack and plug it...

20190323-173428.jpg

...and leave it there for today

20190323-173509.jpg

Work continues. Although superficially, it looked in great shape needing minimal repairs, it has thrown up a few issues. The bulkhead is not the original and whoever replaced it, either repaired the replacement or bought an already repaired replacement. Either way, I've inherited some pretty poor patchwork. So, I find myself trying to correct the earlier work.
Not having an untouched original to compare with, I am redoing what I have in front of me, so originality has been sacrificed. I think that is evident from the first of my repairs as having replaced like for like, I don't think it looks correct compared to some photos I've seen. However, I'm not that concerned that it needs to be exactly as factory anyway since it already has changed chassis and engine.

Cut out corrosion perforated section...

url=https://postimages.org/]
20190401-125931.jpg
[/url]

...and tacked in flush patch piece (don't ask about the gap!)

20190401-132327.jpg

Stitch welded and rough dressed.

20190401-163828.jpg

I need to get some extra tools for grinding and surface finishing and make a better job; I'll have to tidy up later.

This is a previous owner patch repair. It's just sat on top of rot and seem welded all around...

20190401-170627.jpg

...so I cut out the patch and the rot surrounding it...

20190401-171711.jpg

...and put a new piece in. Forgot to take a picture.

Next up, I discovered that the new footwell was not fitting as it should. The side section that sits alongside the gearbox/bell-housing had been got at with earlier footwell replacement and was slightly out of position; more spot welds to drill out. Got it out and cleaned up ready to refit...

20190403-163820.jpg

The YRM replacement footwell is a standard series 3 version I believe, so I have got to modify for 109 V8

20190403-163828.jpg

Made a template for the strengthening plate...

url=https://postimages.org/]
20190403-170854.jpg
[/url]

...and used it to cut out the steel sheet...

20190403-174653.jpg

...and then made the folds to fit...

20190403-182711.jpg

And that's enough for today. Time for a beer.

Back
Top Bottom