• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Engine died- crank shaft fault

Bought a used car from a third party dealer in July last year, Drove impeccably till April and then engine failed, as many have said extended warranty does not cover it. and as the Land rover warranty expired 4 months ago they will only repair in Good Will... but there is one hitch though... they are asking for previous service history as they cant find any. The only service detail I have is from the third party seller at 27270. Car has only done 36495. They are unwilling to pay if the car was not serviced. regardless of services, this is a design fault, should it not be precluded? Any advice will be much appreciated.
Update: JLR say the car should have has 3 services since new. When I bought the car I purchased a service plan within 20 days and purchased extended warranty within 30 days. The car was never inspected before either or these products was issued. Would anyone know how a customer is informed that the car is not fit for these products? lets just say i am a novice at LR vehicles, at what point in time should I have been informed that the car is unfit for either product! Again any advice and guidance to support my case will be most welcome.
Thanks

Update: JLR say the car should have has 3 services since new. When I bought the car I purchased a service plan within 20 days and purchased extended warranty within 30 days. The car was never inspected before either or these products was issued. Would anyone know how a customer is informed that the car is not fit for these products? lets just say i am a novice at LR vehicles, at what point in time should I have been informed that the car is unfit for either product! Again any advice and guidance to support my case will be most welcome.
Thanks
There is an FB page that has Range Rover owners from all over the world in the same position . I’ve found them extremely helpful. I’m feeling your frustration first hand!!

There is an FB page that has Range Rover owners from all over the world in the same position . I’ve found them extremely helpful. I’m feeling your frustration first hand!!

Attachments

• 3DF92594-FEDB-4C1B-AD65-2C3E5ED2945F.png
    3DF92594-FEDB-4C1B-AD65-2C3E5ED2945F.png
    318.6 KB · Views: 566
HELP / ADVICE NEEDED
We have a Landrover Range Rover Sport 2015 model that has had complete engine failure which we have now learned is down to a crankshaft design problem noted with these models although it has never been recalled by Landrover. Stratstone Landrover have quoted us £19k to replace the engine and all components however given the nature of the problem we thought Landrover would cover the majority of the cost, they have offered us a 10% contribution. We would like to hear from anyone else that this has happened to or anyone that can offer any advice of what we can do, the car was bought at 2 years old and we have owned it for approximately 2 years but there is no warranty on the car now, never the less a car of this cost should not have complete engine failure after just 4 years of being manufactured. Thank you
Hi
we have just encountered the same problem this weekend on our 2015 RRS. New Engine required. We are furious about it naturally. Can anyone update on their progress please as we would be really grateful.
thank you :)

Hi
we have just encountered the same problem this weekend on our 2015 RRS. New Engine required. We are furious about it naturally. Can anyone update on their progress please as we would be really grateful.
thank you :)
We’ve just got ours back after a very long 4 months. Only had car 4 months and the crankshaft snapped due to faulty oil pump....£12000 for re con engine and warranty would only pay half saying we drove it whilst it was faulty........ but there was no way of knowing it was faulty. Car only had 60000 miles on clock and had full Land Rover service history. Now we have taken case to onbudsman then I to court if we do t get anywhere. It’s disgusting that a car if this value with a known fault within Land Rover should even happen...

And I’m new on here because my Disco4 has succumbed to the fate of LR... 64k and new engine needed £20k initial bill now a bit less with some ‘goodwill’ still not enough that I can afford.. Out of warranty and therefore for me to fix.
Hello ombudsman - do you have time for a call?

And I’m new on here because my Disco4 has succumbed to the fate of LR... 64k and new engine needed £20k initial bill now a bit less with some ‘goodwill’ still not enough that I can afford.. Out of warranty and therefore for me to fix.
Hello ombudsman - do you have time for a call?
My claim is with onbudsman too. Fill out form online but call them to make sure they have it..... mine took 5 goes for it to go through.... good luck

I had 2015 rrsport engine seize on me july this year, that I have had since new, I used the memo from manufacturers that is on the forum to argue it was a manufacturing fault and not wear and tear, and under sale of goods act poor quality and not fit for purpose, they put a new engine in foc, dont give up seek legal advice using that memo that admits its a fault.

My 2016 (66 plate) Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 has just had its engine fail. The car has only done 22,000 miles and was bought by myself in 2017 when 12 months old from landrover dealership with 15,000 miles on clock (ex manager/demonstrators car). I was driving along a dual carriage way and car engine just stopped and car slowed down to a stop with no warning. AA had to drop it off at my local dealers last week and the dealership are waiting to hear back from head office about whether or not they can replace the engine.

The car is out of warranty, it ended in October 2019. I took the car in to landrover for it’s first MOT in October and it needed a new turbo which they replaced under warranty and replaced the oil filter and oil. That was only 9 months ago and I have only done just over 1,000 miles since.

I’m waiting for a full report and update on the outcome from Land Rover but initially they told me the turbo had failed causing the engine to fail. Now they have told me that the car was overdue a service and this may have caused the engine to fail?

I’ll update everyone on this when I hear back from them. I’m hoping they will cover the cost of the repair.

It‘s frustrating that I paid £75,000 for a prestige car and have only driven 7,000 miles in it and the engine needs replacing.

My 2016 (66 plate) Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 has just had its engine fail. The car has only done 22,000 miles and was bought by myself in 2017 when 12 months old from landrover dealership with 15,000 miles on clock (ex manager/demonstrators car). I was driving along a dual carriage way and car engine just stopped and car slowed down to a stop with no warning. AA had to drop it off at my local dealers last week and the dealership are waiting to hear back from head office about whether or not they can replace the engine.

The car is out of warranty, it ended in October 2019. I took the car in to landrover for it’s first MOT in October and it needed a new turbo which they replaced under warranty and replaced the oil filter and oil. That was only 9 months ago and I have only done just over 1,000 miles since.

I’m waiting for a full report and update on the outcome from Land Rover but initially they told me the turbo had failed causing the engine to fail. Now they have told me that the car was overdue a service and this may have caused the engine to fail?

I’ll update everyone on this when I hear back from them. I’m hoping they will cover the cost of the repair.

It‘s frustrating that I paid £75,000 for a prestige car and have only driven 7,000 miles in it and the engine needs replacing.
I’m so sorry and I really do feel your pain! Ours went after 4 months of owning it , had full service history and 60.000 on clock. We’ve had the engine replaced but have opened a case with Land Rover head office. They are well aware of this issue..... I’ll forward the number x

Hi everyone,
I hope someone may be able to help.
I have owned a LR since 2002. I bought a 2012 Discovery 4 in 2017, my 3 year old son was diagnosed with leukaemia and the hospital is 45 miles away. This gave me confidence that I had a solid and reliable car to get my son for his chemotherapy appointments.
Then in March this year, my car literally stopped. It was recovered to home and I sent various emails to LR but had no response. The country then entered full lockdown and we managed to find a garage who agreed to have a look at our car as we urgently needed it.
Sadly a snapped crankshaft was diagnosed, both turbos were damaged and the pistons had melted. We have a bill for £15,000
I continually contacted LR who eventually came back to me. They said as it was not in a LR garage they were not prepared to help in any way.
I had to give up my job to care for my son because of his illness so money is very tight.
LR including Ralf Speth will not respond to any of my emails. I am blocked on Facebook and Twitter and they put the phone down on me when I call.
I am absolutely devastated. Any bright ideas anyone?
Thank you

Wow. Thats tough on you :(
My only suggestion would be to someone in the media to take up the story. Watchdog or the like... They love all the human interest stuff and some adverse publicity for JLR may get them to respond...

I know you said money is tight but if you look for recon engines they come in at a quarter of what you said I’m presuming it’s a tdv6 you have ...if not ? This place has good reviews..01384 411492 - 07376 862562....55BC1601-E65F-4470-AD22-6B85DC145385.png
..I’m not a Facebook person but I know people have set up funds pages with there needs and some have good responses....
wish I could help more ..good luck ...

Back
Top Bottom