• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Ex SAS Range Rover Classics

peterb110

Accelerating Away
Hi

Anybody know of the current UK location of any of the V8 Classics used by 22 Rgt SAS? Fitted with full interior roll cage, odd holes in the dash for radio kit and holes in the rear compartment to locate secure firearms storage.

Externally same as any other Classic except they would have two discreet sockets, about same diameter as a scaffold pole mounted on the front bumper. The sockets were used to mount the assault platform over the bonnet.

I've been asked to find at least two for possible film work in north west England during Spring '08.

Any clues?

Cheers

Try EMLRA. There was a guy on there who had one fully restored although the spec differs subtley from the version you describe.
(Can't remember the bloke's name, sorry!)
If you need them for film work it's propbably easier/cheaper just to dress any old pair of RRCs surely?

Hi

I'm the muppet who carries out the Vehicle History searches for the EMLRA so I'm obviously trying that avenue as well!

Using standard Classics is an option, but if the proper vehicles can be found so much the better.

Cheers & thanks

Nick Dimbleby and I got a couple together, from the batch of four released c. March 2001, for an LRM photoshoot (February 2003 issue). At that time the owner of the red vehicle was Dave Wilson of Manchester (GLASS Chairman) and the blue one was owned by Ian Birchall of Tearles Jungle Garage near Preston.
Bob

Hi Bob

I've got that article on file.

Dave got rid of his before he moved to the Exeter area. I think his Classic ended up in the Gloucester area.

The Preston one disappeared off their website at least 12 / 18 months ago, I don't know where it ended up.

Thanks.

Cheers

Sorry, that's the best I can do, though I'll try to speak to Dimbles in case he has kept track of them, as the Classic Rangey is his speciality.
Bob

Just come across this while looking for something else, sorry if its a bit late!

I own one of them EV71AA from memory (I'll double check if that's important!). Mine was the transport one I believe, not assualt. Also believed to be the only SAS vehicle of any sort to still have its full service history with it!

Has been off the road for restoration for the last few years. Just dug it back out with a view to sorting the last few bits (ABS sensor, electrical drain, alternateing headlight relay... etc) this week.

If its of any interest let me know and I'll post up more

Hi

Thanks for getting in touch. If you can let me have some photos when it is fully sorted I'll see if the film co are interested. They were asking for 2 and I've sent them details of 3 already including EV77AA which looks as if it came from the same contract as yours.

Cheers

I can also remember seeing a blue two door earlier SP Range Rover at Southsea Common in 1994 owned by Dunsfold.. Has anyone any info on the early white two door variants or their disposal history?:eek:

I believe the 2 doors where scrapped rather than sold. I was told the mid/ late 80s batch was sold off, I haven't seen any of those ever surface though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello I'm the proud owner of EV70AA that used to belong to Ian at tearless.

She is available for weddings, funerals and barmitzvas so send me an email I will be happy to oblige.

Seriously if anyone has any service info on her I would be glad to hear from them.

Shes in good condition considering her usage.

She resides either in coventry or a land far far away and is racking upm the miles with abandon.

When she was cast she had 53000 on the clock and now has a mere 87000.

Hello Keith ta for the welcome.

here are some phots taken today. she looks a treat after the rain!

Shes still prettymuch as she was when "cast" though she is converted to springs I don't know if this was done in service. The shocks are decarbon gas which you don't come across that often.
As for Kit still on her the roll cage is still there and is fitted better than any I've seen (thanks LR SV).
She has a stonefield diff guard and of corse the horns on the front as well as a neat little switch to change from normal lights to infrared, ho and a lovely two tone siren.
I believe when in service she had a split charge system,flashing lights and radio gear installed, most of the wiring is still there but I have yet to investigate. To busy driving her.
Shes not in bad nick for her age all the dents were put in by the "big boys" I have only added scratches (she goes rural a lot and loves mud as only a LR product can).
As for troubles appart from a new cat (probobly due to spending a lot of time up to her sills in water) and abs and tc lights that come on cos they can" shes a goodun.
Enjoy the pics and as I said If anyone knows any service history I would like to know.

Hi JCP

Sorry about the delay getting back to you.

I've already got 3 Classics to fill the 2 slots the film company are after. I'll keep your details on file and get in touch if we have problems with the others.

I think EV70AA was one of a batch of 5 or 6 on the same contract. As I'm doing some digging on EV72AA I'll include yours in the hunt - but don't hold your breath, it takes time. I was fed duff info in my earlier email above when I referred to EV77AA - I had to ask the owner to double check his contract plate and his 77 is actually 72. EV77AA is / was a Peugeot!

Cheers

Front of service records

Attachments

• l1000191-498jl3jpr.jpeg
    l1000191-498jl3jpr.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 441
Hi Red Apple

That is a rare bit of documentation you have there. Keep it safe!

Have you got the Merlin Management Information print out as well? I doubt it will tell you much though other than date into service and cast date.

Cheers

I've got loads of papers for it, not sure about the Merlin Management Information papers though? Is that Form 654 (Application for Disposal of a Cast Vehicle) ?

I was very fortunate and bought mine from a guy in Hereford with genuine connections! ;)

Back
Top Bottom