• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Ex SAS Range Rover Classics

Interesting.

The SAS had RR two doors way back in 71 in Hereford, most were white with a tan color plastic trim.

The Royal Marines ran them for a while out of Oman but they proved unsuitable for purpose.

We met them in the Brecons when 21 and 22 were recruiting. One fool even tried to drive his RR up and through the "Fan" ;)

Hi Peter,

I am aquiring a 1988 22regt v8 Rangie, someone spoke to the current owner at the 2007 London 2 Brighton run re filming (not sure if this was you?!) Contact me on 07966 681627 if you are interested.

Cheers,
Matt

The Merlin Management Information doc is a print out from the MoD computer system. Usually at least 2 x A4 pages, the first page deals with vehicle spec, numbers, date in service, date cast, etc., the second page lists the units the vehicle served with.

Cheers

Hi Matt

See message 8 above for current film situation.

Wasn't me at Brighton last year, a 500 plus mile round trip at 9 mpg means long runs in the Vampire need careful budgeting. I usually get it and trailer to one show a month during the show season.

Cheers

Just drove my V8 90 back up to Scotland from Portsmouth but not at 9mpg cor!!!

Got a bit more info on the Rangie, she was 89KF03 and is now on an F plate, and would have been the one spotted in Southsea by 'Auto Defender' in post9 as she used to belong to one of the guys at Dunsfold and has been used in their open days.

We will have the original issuing paperwork to the SAS and release papers stamped by them along with the original Chinook helicopter loading schedule and information.

Should have some decent pics next week.
Matt

Attachments

• Rangie1.jpg
    Rangie1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 559
Hi Matt

Photo looks good, look forward to seeing more.

Just drove my V8 90 back up to Scotland from Portsmouth but not at 9mpg cor!!!

The Vampire and EW trailer have a laden train weight of just under 4.5 tons, factor in the 21 metre mast lying across the roof and couple that to 101 aerodynamics comparable to a low flying brick outhouse and 9 mpg seems "reasonable"!

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have the specs yet as i'm not due to pick the vehicle up until next Friday, however I can tell you that it is a 2 door built by SVO c.1987. She is quite an unususal beast: at that time 2 door floor pans were unavaliable so she has been built onto a 4 door floor pan, the engine is a 1986 unit with twin su's as specified by the MOD rather than the efi and it has LT77 short shift box. Her history is that she left Solihill and was delivered to the MOD in Liverpool. From there she spent time in Stirling before living out the remainder of her 11 months in service in Chelsea. She was cast in 1989 and then went into storage for 11 years, which explains why she is in such good condition. I'll know more when I get her. If you have a time critical schedule I can direct you to the present owner.

My interest in this one is two fold, partly because its an ex-forces Range Rover, but also because I have a factory built two door on an E plate (Kestrel prototype, EXP engine, Recaros, extra colour codeing etc).

Here are the mystery photos of EV70AA. Great with angle grinder, rubbish with computer.

JCP

Attachments

• rangie2 005.jpg
    rangie2 005.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 648
  • rangie2 012.jpg
    rangie2 012.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 923
  • rangie2 014.jpg
    rangie2 014.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,015
Hiya peteb and red apple Tipperary et al.
So EV70aa's an understudy eh? Always the bridesmaid.....
Seriously though any out there with an ex mod rangie fancy attending or arranging a photo shoot.
It sounds like there are a few of the ex SAS rangies around so they must have been quite careful drivers!

I noticed peteb mentions secure weapons stowage in the back. Actually I have been trying to figure that one out. the sound profing is cut in an unusual way and there are a couple of battery soak pannels cut in on the off side next to an army radio clamp as well as a couple of odd cutouts in the side pannels but apart from that no holes in the floor as I would expect to secure a box or ??

Incidentally I was at a Rangie dealer the other day and a mech recognised her. Apperently they were all serviced by the land rover dealer in Hereford, he pulled up the service record of mine on computer but it wouldn't print.
BTY I have the cast doc for her but would like the merlin stuff if pos.
more pics below

Hi JCP

Sorry about the delay getting back to you.

I've already got 3 Classics to fill the 2 slots the film company are after. I'll keep your details on file and get in touch if we have problems with the others.

I think EV70AA was one of a batch of 5 or 6 on the same contract. As I'm doing some digging on EV72AA I'll include yours in the hunt - but don't hold your breath, it takes time. I was fed duff info in my earlier email above when I referred to EV77AA - I had to ask the owner to double check his contract plate and his 77 is actually 72. EV77AA is / was a Peugeot!

Cheers

EV 72 AA was the one I drove in Hereford town, any news of it now?

Gentlemen

I'm responsible for organising the Military Land Rover feature at the 60th Anniversary Show at Gaydon 03 & 04/05/08, see www.hlrw.co.uk

I had an ex SAS Range Rover Classic booked in as a part of the Special Forces diorama I'm setting up. The owner has pulled out this morning. I'm looking for a replacement Classic that is, in the words of the Museum staff, "representative of the vehicle type when in service and of display quality".

If any Classic owner on this thread is interested, and thinks their vehicle is good enough, please PM me with a selection of photographs as soon as possible.

The selected vehicle will need to be at Gaydon no later than PM 02/05 and will be expected to stay for the duration of the show. I'll send more details to the invited Classic owner, but be aware now that Gaydon are charging exhibitors £20.00 for a maximum of 4 nights camping.

The military Land Rover display space will take around 50 trucks. Up until the Classic dropping out I had 49 trucks booked ranging from 1952 to the present day.

Cheers

Sourced another SAS Classic for the Gaydon display. Now up to 53 military display vehicles.

Anybody know of an "as in service" TACR2? The TACR exhibit withdrew recently. If we are quick I should be able to sort out a pass!

Cheers

I noticed peteb mentions secure weapons stowage in the back. Actually I have been trying to figure that one out. the sound profing is cut in an unusual way and there are a couple of battery soak pannels cut in on the off side next to an army radio clamp as well as a couple of odd cutouts in the side pannels but apart from that no holes in the floor as I would expect to secure a box or ??

Have you taken the backs off the front seats? ;)

Back
Top Bottom