• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Fitting Stereo in Ninety

a1mac

Accelerating Away
I've bought all the gear to fit a stereo into my 90. I've bought an autoleads universal ISO bracket to hold my stereo (which i got from an old discovery). The problem is, the stereo fits loosely into the bracket (it has no cage or anything, it's just a bare stereo) What do i need?

Thanks,

Alex McD.

So where is the best place to mount the speakers?

You have opened up a whole can of the preverbial worms there my friend ! there are dedicated spaces each side of the front below the dash thats where L.R put em in mine but if your'e looking for something in the back i mounted mine in the back either side of the rear door. A few folk are quite handy with the old mdf and have custom made housings for speakers and amps. Or you can buy replacement rear panels that cover the lighting section with mounts for speakers.

Even with a cage on the stereo, it would still be free to move within the universal bracket.

Thanks for all the help so far :)

Alex McD.

How are you mounting the head unit? The plastic hole is pretty filmsy so I think the back of mine is pretty much supported by the bundled wires behind it! I actually run an amp bolted behind the passenger seat as I find on the motorway I couldn't hear the radio anyway. The dedicated holes are pretty useful, but there isn't much room behind the passenger side hole as there's a motor there (I assume the windscreen wipers?) and aren't that large so you won't get anything big and powerful in there. Also the sound projects downwards so a lot of it's lost.

I don't have speakers in the back as there's rarely anyone in there, and if they are they tend to be female and not want to listen anyway. Do you have an antenna? Mine got "dettached" so there's a rubber thing there, barely picks anything up normally, and nothing if the lights + heater fan are on :(

I've got a rubber antenna from Halfords, works brilliantly mounted on the back of the roof. I don't quite know how it fits into the universal support yet with a cage as i haven't come round to buying one yet. As far i can gather, once i have the cage, it'll sit inside the support and stay there, and as you say, the back will be held up by whatever ;l
I'm gonna get some Kenwood 6x9s in the back and buy some defendoor speaker supports:

http://www.defendoor.co.uk/Defender-rear-speakers.php

Thanks,

Alex McD.

Back
Top Bottom