• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Head gasket saver on k series 1.8 engines

S

Skashax666x

As you probably know I have a freelander 1.8 in some serious need of tlc,
i currently have the head stripped off the poor girl and Its looking good that the head is not warped, but I don't have the prrt mod yet,
so I was wondering where can I get the grey prt that runs a little cooler as all I can find is the white one :(.

And talking to some work mates about this head gasket issue on the k series engines he sajested using waterless coolant I've found some by the brand Evans, hears a link http://www.evanscoolants.co.uk

it is expensive but looks like a head gasket saver and a 20 year life span it will out last the car so is most likely worth while as it is re useable too,

i was was wandering if any one here has used it or has any opinion on it

many thanx in advance skasha

Dont forget to use only a PAYEN gasket/head shim, and either Payen/MG/Landrover genuine longbolts when you put the mill back together. Dont be tempted with the rubbish on Flea Bay.

As for the waterless coolant...

Seams an ideal coolant to use on the K Series. I have not used it myself, but have considered it despite the cost. I, personally would go for it, and use the time you have now the cooling system is in bits/head is off with coolant areas exposed, to get all the remaining water out of the system. Apart from the cost, that is the only thing that has kept me from converting....the hassle of getting the system completely water free before using the Evans coolant.

Again, regarding the PRT stat...i personally use the white/cream one, as the grey (IMHO) runs just a little to cool. When/if you do the prt mod, you will notice a hell of a difference in warm up times from the standard stat. A far slower warm up period. So for me at least, the white stat works just fine.

I was thinking of using the grey prt as as it runs at 83 degrees and evens coolant runs marginally hotter up to 10 degrees hotter so I was trying to compensate for the margins not that its overly important too :/

and ooops ops already got a kit from eBay in its way it includes an oil rail too :/ cost just under £130 but I'm sure it will be ok :s in conjunction with a prt and evens coolant :)

tho I do wander if it worth fitting a prt if I use evens coolant :/

Didnt pick up on the fact the Evans stuff runs hotter...the grey is worth considering then without doubt.

See how you go with the flea bay stuff then, but only the Payen has ever worked properly for me. Its little things quality wise like the way the fire ring seals are made on the Payen that seem to make the difference. The oil rail should be ok though, but as you know, the longbolts are crucial to this engine design.

As a final note, IMO its always worth fitting a prt kit (Landrover/MG only...the Britparts kit has crappy clips and can leak, so you may as well get the right one in the first place....been there.).

Hope you fix it ok either way.

Evens do say the temp margin is not detrimental but as I have an option to run a cooler thermostat I might as well :)

ah thanks for the tip with the clips in Brit part :) I have acc to plenty of jubilee clips so I'll be fine either way now I know this :)

the block is ok so it's just gasket change and test the head

the oil rail that came with the kit is land rover genuine parts :)
And ofc I am using new bolts, would not even consider using the old ones lol

n yday I found a heater pip split so I'm going to change both and the thermostat to a blank whilst the head is off n acc is easy

i am lucky the the engin is ok but she needs a lot more work on her, poor girl

many thanx for the tips and I'll get her going again a resurrection so to speak :)

Good move on the heater pipes and old stat removal, was going to mention this whilst you have the head off. But you beat me to it :)

Never a drip with a jubilee clip on the Britparts kit, but i still say the Land Rover kit is better all round. Slightly better pipe quality as well.

Mine has gone through x2 head skims due to crappy gaskets, but now goes like a rocket with the higher compression.

Its good folks are persevering with their 1.8's. Properly sorted and looked after they are lighter, much quieter, less complex, and nicer to drive than the TD/TD4's despite the slight fuel advantage.

I couldn't cope with the turbo lag personally when i have driven diesels (not so much the Rover mill)...and love wasting them on traffic lights etc..lol!.

Have fun and happy motoring.

Back
Top Bottom