• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

my 90-auto conversion

I wonder why the shrouds are different size seeing as the engines are roughly the same size …unless the engine is set further forward because of the longer gearbox 🤔
when you look at them side by side there are a lot of differences. i will put pictures on later as i have a spare of each.

its a suck to go between the radiator and engine. no room in front of the radiator as the gearbox cooler is there.
Fair enough, I guess if it's getting too hot you can move the oil cooler to another place....
Mid you the viscous fans are well beaten by electric ones, should save you a couple of MPG to make up for the auto losses...

This is the radiator set up
20230925_150004.jpg

when you look at them side by side there are a lot of differences. i will put pictures on later as i have a spare of each.

The 200Tdi shrouds were going for silly money on Ebay so dont chuck it..!

I wonder why the shrouds are different size seeing as the engines are roughly the same size …unless the engine is set further forward because of the longer gearbox 🤔

R380 is longer but uses a different bell housing; https://www.landyzone.co.uk/land-rover/lt77-to-r380.308726/post-3880390

Depending on which bell housing is used;

The timing cases I think are about the same depth, but the serpentine belt and pulleys on the 300 probably do stick out a bit more (making the fan project a bit further).
Ive never measured...

i dont think thats the shroud that i have. i have a few here and its not a match for any that i have.the radiator pipes are in the right place but its not 300tdi disco or defender. it might have been cut at some time but not sure. maybee it should go on ebay as an ex sas special part then i can buy a new 90.

I've not checked but I would think that if you measured the distance between the front of the timing case and the fan mounting thread on both engines, there wouldnt be much in it...

I always thought it was the difference in gearbox+bellhousing that made the 300 dit further forward...

I might measure it if it warms up a bit outside...

i am now fitting a normal fan and shroud as the fan kit bolt holes that mount the fan on the brackets dont line up. one day i might get some parts that fit as they should.

The 200Tdi shrouds were going for silly money on Ebay so dont chuck it..!

R380 is longer but uses a different bell housing; https://www.landyzone.co.uk/land-rover/lt77-to-r380.308726/post-3880390

Depending on which bell housing is used;

The timing cases I think are about the same depth, but the serpentine belt and pulleys on the 300 probably do stick out a bit more (making the fan project a bit further).
Ive never measured...
i just trialed fitted the 300 in my 110 ,that replaces a 200 thats coming out ,the fan on the 200 missed the pas pump by a fair bit ,the same fan fitted to the 300 just touches the pump ,

The timing cover was too close to the steering box was one problem cured by the spacers and the change of crossmember. The other problem was a wrong fan shroud making it appear that the engine was still in the wrong place now cured with the correct shroud. The mark on the mount is where it was hitting the top bolt before the crossmember was changed
20231210_103508.jpg

Back
Top Bottom