• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

My D4 Story

I knew when I bought the Disco that I would want to remove the spare wheel and swing arm from the back. The two main reasons were the spare over hung the reversing sensors and made the reversing bleeper stay on all the time and although I could switch it off, it meant I had no reversing sonar. Not good for a vehicle with poor rearward vision.
The sheer bulk of the spare wheel and carrier and the fact it had to disconnected and swung out of the way to be able to use the tailgate was a total pain.
Added to that the carrier bracket, although substantial, was very ‘homemade’ and did not sit with the standard of the rest of the car.
If you look at the earlier photo’s I posted you can see the wheel carrier and spare on the car. Now there is the stub of the upright that had the carrier attached to it, (I had to cut this off with an angle grinder as the bearing it sits in is rusted into its bracket under the bumper cover. A bit like a steering relay on a Series!.
Also, the carrier had a telescopic damper on it that was attached to a bracket that is welded to the crash structure at the back with a very untidy hole hacked through the bumper cover. There is an anti-loose catch that is also welded to the crash structure (and another hole through the plastic cover), this was used as an extra catch to hold the carrier, in case the electro magnet in the carrier failed. You can see the metal plate that the magnate attached to on the back panel of the tailgate. I’ve circled the problem areas.
Photo of rear end now:
IMG_0992.jpeg

I took some time to think about how best to approach this. I could have tried to cover up the areas cut into the bumper and the same with removing the metal plate. But I felt I would always see that it was a repair and that would piss me off. Added to this, the replacement of the N/S rear door showed up marks on the plastic wheel arch trims and both sets of wheel arch trims were quite badly stone chipped. So it would make sense to do all of this at the same time. I decided the way to go was to get replacement parts for all the parts I was going to re-spray. That way I wouldn’t be under pressure to get the parts sprayed and finished so I could keep the car on the road. Also, I have not had much experience of spraying plastic car parts and I want to get as good finish as I can get.
I am no expert when it comes to auto paint spraying and I haven’t a lot of experience in painting plastic parts (another reason for not trying to use the parts on the car!)

Over the last few months I have sourced the parts with the wheel arches coming from a D4 that was being scrapped. The bumper I got from a trip to the UK when I got the rear door. I thought I might get away with the small marks in the paintwork of the bumper, as It was the correct body color for my Disco. But the marks proved difficult to disguise,( see my tool accessory review on ColourNdrive touch up paint: ..https://www.lrukforums.com/resources/colorndrive-touchup-and-chip-repair-kit.284/ ) so I have opted to repaint all the parts.
I am no expert when it comes to auto paint spraying and I haven’t a lot of experience in painting plastic parts (another reason for not trying to use the parts on the car!)
I’m going to describe the process I followed, if anyone has any tips or suggestions please feel free to comment……..I need all the help I can get.

First thing the bumper was stripped down, removing the reflectors, parking sensors and loom, the foam insert and rubber tread. These are the marks in the existing paintwork:
IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

Then the prep work starts. Using a 600 grit abrasive disc on an air driven palm sander I gently flatten the entire surface of each plastic part. The abrasive discs are a mesh construction these days and work well with minimal clogging. The parts are sanded down and inspected to make sure all areas are flattened and there are no shiny bits. In the places where the damage has been done, the plastic is actually cut and has raised an edge that you can feel with your finger. So these get special attention to take out any raised edges. In the places where I have had to sand through to the original plastic I use a plastic adhesion promoter spray. It is clear and dries in less than half an hour
IMG_0994.jpeg

Then I have used a filler/primer and covered the areas that have been treated with the promotor.
IMG_0995.jpeg

IMG_0988.jpeg

IMG_0998.jpeg

This is left to dry really hard and then lightly sanded back. You can see the filler/primer beginning to fill the small indents in the surfaces.

IMG_0996.jpeg

IMG_0997.jpeg

The surfaces are wiped down with a panel wipe cloth and the process repeated until I am happy that I have the surface flush.

IMG_1001.jpeg

A sandable grey primer is next.....

Got a bit more done today. Started off with a light flattening, I don't know if any of you are using these, but they are really sympathetic to surfaces that have lots of curves and angles. It's a Scotchbrite style material and comes in different abrasive grades. The purple one is a 400 grit equivalent and the grey one is around a 600 grit. They are ideal for flattening off between coats.
IMG_1003.jpeg
After a light flattening on all of the parts to be painted I wiped them all down with some panel wipe tissues that I got from Halford's. They are a bit like baby wet wipes and clean the surface really well. I made a point of keeping a pair of gloves on all the time so as not to contaminate the surfaces to be painted with oils from my skin.
That might be a bit over the top but I don't want to cause adhesion problems, particularly as these are all plastic parts and they flex.

I'm using a Finish Line primer. It's a two part paint that mixes 4:1 paint to active ingredient. (handy measuring cup comes with the paint)
IMG_1004.jpeg

IMG_1005.jpeg
I also got a tin of thinners as well as I had seen on some media sites that the primer can be a little thick and a splash of thinners really helps the paint to lay down smoothly.
I laid on three of four coats of primer, leaving 10 to 20 minutes between coats. I was spraying with a standard gravity fed gun from Clarke and used 300ml of paint to cover all the parts. Useful tip: if you are having to spray in a workshop where you do everything else, make sure you clean up the floor as best you can and spray it over with water before you start painting. It will help to prevent crap from the floor being blown into your wet paint.
IMG_1006.jpeg

IMG_1007.jpeg

I'll leave it for 24 hours now to really harden off and then go over the surfaces with a light flatten. I might give them a dusting with some Matt black as a guide coat, just to check the primer is really as flat as it looks. I am expecting to have to put another coat of primer on yet.......we shall see ;)

Wished to add that ur doing a fantastic job there mate ,

Reminds me of the repair that I need to do on my D3 A bar , tried many different body / bumper filler products but alas isnt flexible enough so cracks and breaks off

However I’ve found some resin which I hope will work, Got some 3mm plastic rods to place into the gap like the old game kerplunk in the hope it will give the resin something to stick onto

shared the link for the resin just in case it’s useful to ur good self , if it does work tempted to give it a coat of Matt black plasti dip

As a side note got a pair of 9” DRL spot lights , just placed them onto the A bar and happy with the size of them , was also very lucky in buying a complete genuine wiring loom for them

Sorry I’m waffling again, lol , Thks again for sharing the project piccies , following with great interest

Few pics

Attachments

• IMG_9972.jpeg
    IMG_9972.jpeg
    316.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9974.jpeg
    IMG_9974.jpeg
    400.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9973.jpeg
    IMG_9973.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9975.jpeg
    IMG_9975.jpeg
    204.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9977.jpeg
    IMG_9977.jpeg
    385.9 KB · Views: 14
Thanks Gary, I remember reading your struggles with filling that gap in your Disco’s ‘Roo bar’. I was thinking of using a light skim of filler on my bumper but decided against it for the very reason you have mentioned with it cracking because of the flexibility of the plastic part.
Glad I didn’t now😁

Thanks Gary, I remember reading your struggles with filling that gap in your Disco’s ‘Roo bar’. I was thinking of using a light skim of filler on my bumper but decided against it for the very reason you have mentioned with it cracking because of the flexibility of the plastic part.
Glad I didn’t now😁

Ur so welcome

Indeed with regards in putting a skim layer on and it cracking or falling off , I’m really hoping the resin will work , does say it can be sanded and painted as I found others that couldn’t be sanded

Will let u know how I get on, waiting for the warmer weather , Thks again and keep up the great work my friend

Well I've had to give myself a good tellin' off. Completely forgot to re-set my spray gun after cleaning it and ended up with a very obvious orange peel finish on the tailgate panel :mad:. Too much paint coming through with not enough air. That will teach me to do a check spray on some paper first.
So here's the panel, I've dusted it over with a guide coat, it makes the poor surface very obvious. I put the panel in the sunlight to help you see the surface.
Back panel. orange peel finish.jpeg

Fortunately I had laid on a good amount of primer, just the additional time to flatten it back. This is where the guide coat comes in handy. It shows you if you have missed anything. Here's the same panel half done, so you can see the difference.
Part flattened.jpeg

The other pieces are given a flattening too, fortunately they weren't as bad as the tailgate panel and flattened off really quickly.
I think I am just about ready to start the base colour coat :)

And that's why I'm happy to do the electrical, electronic & mechanical bits - and happily pay someone to do the paintwork. The nearest I'll go is trim replacement / repairs & leather refinishing.

Friends of mine were panel beaters/sprayers and Ive watched them at work. No way I would attempt doing a 'proper' paint job, but luckily I never need to do any more than attack the Defender parts with a rattle can occasionally... :D
My ex-Father-in-Law was an auto body repair and paint man. He and his brother ran the it as a two man business back in the 70's. Sadly, both men gone now, he resprayed a 1972 two door RR for me. I think it was in 1978, I re-trimmed the interior. Got it looking really tidy and like an idiot, I sold it less than a year after it was done.
This is it, just as I had got it finished. The colour is a Rover colour 'Persian Aqua' used on the Rover SD1's.
72 RR.jpg

I liked the color and I don't think Land Rover had started using metallic paints until the Vogue RR was announced. Like the paint finish I am using now it was a metallic base with a lacquer top coat. The major difference is that the base coat now is water based

One step forward and two back yesterday and today. Started the base coat, it's a water based metallic 'Ipanema Sand' so without a heated spray booth it takes longer to dry/flash off. A tip I picked up off the internet is to gently blow an air gun over the piece. Not directly at it but create an air flow across the surface. It brings the flash time down to about 10 minutes.
Using air gun to help paint cure.jpeg
The bumper and the tailgate panel sprayed up perfectly, but the wheel arch extensions weren't good enough and will have to be rubbed down and possibly re-primed (depending on how much surface I need to take off`). As @helimadken has highlighted in his Range Rover Restoration thread, you need to spend a lot of time on the prep.
That's the rear bumper and the tailgate panel ready for the clear coat. I'll need to put them out of harms way while I get the wheel arches up to speed.
Base coat on.jpeg

That is an incredibly difficult piece to prep and spray well done it looks fantastic.

If you havent put clear coat on yet make sure it is thoroughly dry through before you do.

When you look at videos showing professionals in state of the art spray booths with thousands of pounds in equipment it is amazing what you can achieve in a cold, dusty garage, again well done

Plus 1 in the very impressive painting that you’ve done @Guitar Mick , hardest bit I done was my scuttle panel so no comparison

Once again massive respect mate and looking really good

Attachments

• IMG_0149.jpeg
    IMG_0149.jpeg
    346.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0150.jpeg
    IMG_0150.jpeg
    336.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0151.jpeg
    IMG_0151.jpeg
    241.8 KB · Views: 13
Thanks both, your comments are much appreciated. It isn’t until you start doing this that you realise just how much room you need to able to get round a piece to spray it evenly and how much difference a clean environment makes.
My missus thought I had lost it when she saw me hoovering the workshop floor. 😂
Good point mentioned there @helimadken, I’m gonna have to be super careful with the clear coat application. I thinking of creating a plastic sheet ‘tent’ in the workshop to minimise dust contamination.
I’d like to spray all the pieces at the same time, but that needs quite a bit of space so I may do the bumper and tailgate panel first and then do the wheel arch extensions.
It means more cleaning but it would make for a better controlled work space and hopefully the best possible finish 🤞

The problem with plastic parts is static build up, no easy way of grounding them so they act like a magnet to dust. Panel wipe will help, professional anti static guns are mega expensive but these work ok - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0868N2...dd281&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw&th=1

All that said if you are prepared to flat and polish the parts (cant do it on textured parts of course) I would not worry too much about dust getting on the clear.

OOOw .... another tool to buy:)

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I am expecting to have some polishing work to do once the clear coat has hardened for a few days. I remeber having to polish up the clear coat on the Range Rover, all those years ago. Back then it it was 1800 grit paper, wet, used lightly after it had been rubbed over a soap bar, then two stages of polishing compound, then wax polish to finish.

Catch-up day today, I gave the arches a guide coat so here's one of the arch's rubbed back and one with guide coat on. The dark guide coat really helps make the uneven surface stand out.
Wheel Arch B&F.jpeg
Here are all the wheel arch flares rubbed back and given a light coat of plastic adhesion promoter cos I has burnt through the primer in some places, as you can see:
IMG_1026.jpeg
Then a fresh coat of primer:
IMG_1028.jpeg
Hopefully all that is needed now is a light flattening and they will be ready for the base coat 🤞

Moving away from the paint job for the moment, I've got around to installing the rear dash cam. It's a tiny little unit that sticks onto the rear screen
Rear camera.jpeg
A little tip, before you stick the camera to the rear screen, check its image is the right way up..... I just ran the cable through to the camera at the front and plugged it in and could see the rear screen from the back of the car.
Fortunately it's quite easy to tuck the wire behind the red tailgate seal and across to the rear pillar
Rear seam.jpeg
Then behind the rear pillar cover which is just a push-on cover and around to the edge of the healing to go along the drivers side of the car
3:4 pillar.jpeg Rear side headlining.jpeg C Pillar.jpeg Over rear door.jpeg
Next the wire goes round the top of the A pillar and under the front of the roof headlining
Front of headlining.jpeg
Tuck the wire in around the rearview mirror/rain sensor unit and plug into the front dash cam
Connections to camera.jpeg
Last job is to position the rear view camera inside the tailgate glass
Rear camera in place.jpeg
And this is it from outside
From outside.jpeg
I originally thought I would have to supply an extra 12v feed to the rear view camera to be able to switch the screen to just rear view, but it turns out that I can have one of three options to display on the screen.
Option 1:
Just the forward view
Front only.jpeg

Option 2
Split screen with rear view insert
Split front:rear.jpeg

Option3
Just rear view
Rear only.jpeg

This will be ideal for when I am towing the trailer, as I will be able to keep an eye on it and any load I am carrying. The half drop in the lower tailgate on the D4 allows me to see the very o/s corner of the trailer I my rear view mirror, but not the whole trailer. Because the dash cam is on a suction foot, it means I can keep it out of my eyeline behind the rear view mirror, normally, but move into view when needed.

As always many thks for sharing , reminds me I still need to fit my nextbase 512 gw along with buying the rear view camera

Did fit an aux 12 Vdc fuse box in the upper glove box with 6 x spare fuses

Great idea ref the rear camera as was wondering to either stick it to the glass or some how make a bracket to hang down

Thks again and really do enjoy following ur posts

Back
Top Bottom