• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

My D4 Story

Thanks Gary, it remains to be seen how long the sticky pad stays stuck to the glass 🤔
I may have to look at a bracket option too, if the adhesive doesn’t hold.

Many thks , As always ur so welcome , that was my thought with regards to a sticky pad , thought of removing the rear upper panel that holds the interior light and if it would be possible to drill through that to secure a big enough bracket to allow the camera to hang down far enough so none of the panels obscure the dashcam, or maybe secured to one of the sides where a bracket could be screwed to the metal behind one of the panels

For the front I got a bracket that secures to the rear view mirror, have a base model so has the long exposed neck , hopefully it works

fingers crossed the sticky pad will hold up and not allow any camera vibration , , Thks again and indeed plse let us know how u get on as will if I may follow ur idea with regards to the rear camera plse

Agreed re rear camera bracket. The other advantage of mounting on a bracket is there is no wire hanging down where it loops over, at the moment, from the roof lining to the camera on the tailgate glass.

Agreed re rear camera bracket. The other advantage of mounting on a bracket is there is no wire hanging down where it loops over, at the moment, from the roof lining to the camera on the tailgate glass.

If u do a bracket would u be so kind to let us know what design u do plse

As I fitted extra leds in the boot I wonder if taking away the centre overhead light would be the best option, so refit the overheard trim then fit the bracket over the top with a small piece of metal secured to the plate for securing the camera

Shame a 3D bracket couldn’t be designed as I think many would buy them by simply utilising the centre light when extra leds have been added

Suppose would have to check to ensure it doesn’t hang down too far to get in the way when loading items into the boot

Hope that sort of makes sense, lol

Attachments

• IMG_0395.jpeg
    IMG_0395.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0396.jpeg
    IMG_0396.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0397.jpeg
    IMG_0397.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 8
Suppose would have to check to ensure it doesn’t hang down too far to get in the way when loading items into the boot
Good point Gary, maybe a demountable bracket of some kind could be used. Rather like the push in plastic foot you can get that sticks to the inside of a windscreen and repurpose it. Take out the centre rear roof light, fit a blanking plate with the slid-in foot attached, then when you need to put something big in the back you can de-mount the camera. I'm sure I saw a push together socket in the wiring very close to the rear camera on mine, so I could take the camera out of the way completely, if need be. At the moment, my rear camera seems to be staying stuck (said Murray !) and I am not noticing the wire as much as I thought I would. So I'll go with this setup for the moment.

Wonder if a magnetic mount would work plse as u say fit a plate over the centre light to cover the hole and then stick the camera mount

Better still could use one of those magnetic charging style sockets seeing it only needs a 12vdc supply , so can just be clicked onto the mounting plate

Suppose it would be all be down to the strength of the magnetic mount I like ur idea of a slide on one so at least it won’t come off whilst driving

Imagine between all of us we could put together all the different ideas to then have a suitable camera mount

Know my front nextbase mount is slide on magnet type , wonder if they do a rear camera similar style mount that can be attached to the disused light fixing plate ?

Just hope the info is also useful to u

Last edited:
Wonder if a magnetic mount would work plse as u say fit a plate over the centre light to cover the hole and then stick the camera mount

Better still could use one of those magnetic charging style sockets seeing it only needs a 12vdc supply , so can just be clicked onto the mounting plate

Suppose it would be all be down to the strength of the magnetic mount I like ur idea of a slide on one so at least it won’t come off whilst driving

Imagine between all of us we could put together all the different ideas to then have a suitable camera mount

Know my front nextbase mount is slide on magnet type , wonder if they do a rear camera similar style mount that can be attached to the disused light fixing plate ?

Just hope the info is also useful to u
I hadn't thought of a magnetic base, good idea.

Had the trailer out today so a chance to try out my idea of using the rear camera to keep an eye on the trailer as I am going along. Not the greatest photo, but you get the idea.
rear cam on trailer.jpeg

I just moved the dash cam down the windscreen so I could see it easily. It certainly allows me a good view of the trailer and any load that may be in it. The only thing I did find is the image is not a mirror image. I found the image you see is the view you would get if you were sat facing the rear of the car, looking out of the back window, but as the driver, you are actually looking forward at the screen so the nearside should be on the left of the screen as you look at it, not on the right. On the screen's right you can see the hedge, for your mind to make sense of this view as you look forward in the car, the hedge needs to be on the lefthand side of the screen. I tried turning the camera into different positions, but couldn't cure the problem. Interestingly the reversing camera image in the main onboard screen presents the image correctly, so what is on your right side is on the right side of the image. Fortunately I do not need the little dash cam to reverse with, it just being used to keep an eye on the trailer, but it would certainly make reversing very difficult if that was all you had.

If it's anything like the cameras I gave in the van, you might find the image view is changeable in the settings. It's surprising just how much the image being the wrong way round throws you, isn't it? Like you say, trying to reverse with it would be a real mind-frag 😛

Good thought Sandy, I’ll have a look at that. The manual is in Chinglish, so not the easiest to understand when it comes to detail 😂
I certainly wouldn’t want to use it to reverse with.

not the easiest to understand when it comes to detail
Mine was in Hungarochindiationese! I just faffed with it til it worked! 🤣

Still, what can you expect, 2 cameras, 30ft of cable and the mirror/screen for £60!

One thing I have found though, I have to switch it off at night, can still see what's behind, but it's bright enough to interfere with what I'm seeing in front.

One thing I have found though, I have to switch it off at night, can still see what's behind, but it's bright enough to interfere with what I'm seeing in front.
Yes, I don't like things in my eyeline, inside the car, and try to keep modern digital intrusions to a minimum. That's why I position the dash cam behind the rear view mirror so I am not distracted by the screen, except when towing when I drop the screen down so I can see it.

Plus 1 with regards to not liking anything bright shining in my eyes of a night time , to be honest I’m not sure if the screen can be dimmed or turned off on the Nextbase 512gw, will need to check

Did fit an aux fuse box in my upper glove box that switches off once the engine is turned off to ensure I didn’t get any battery drain

However I intend to fit the renogy DC to DC charger for a dual battery solar setup , after a lot of searching I managed to find an electrical box that will fit through the roof blank that normally used for a phone aerial , will be used for my 175w solar panel

Then need to get a deep cell leisure battery , am looking at lithium ones but currently are quite expensive

Sorry I’m waffling again

Attachments

• IMG_0469.jpeg
    IMG_0469.jpeg
    255.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0470.jpeg
    IMG_0470.jpeg
    344.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0472.jpeg
    IMG_0472.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0471.jpeg
    IMG_0471.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0473.jpeg
    IMG_0473.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0474.jpeg
    IMG_0474.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 4
Also some of the bits ive got so far, a hardwire kit and a windscreen mount, but been trying to put together a mirror dashcam mount in order I can tuck it out the way but still be able to press the buttons , alas some arnt sized correctly so the search continues

Meant to add see there’s a parking feature where it stays on after turning the ign off, thinking of doing that and hooking it to my aux battery once it’s fitted to ensure my starter battery isn’t drained

Wished to share just in case something here is useful to anyone

Attachments

• IMG_0481.jpeg
    IMG_0481.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0480.jpeg
    IMG_0480.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0479.jpeg
    IMG_0479.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0478.jpeg
    IMG_0478.jpeg
    327.2 KB · Views: 5
A little more progress today, I summoned up the courage to spray the clear coat. I've not used this finish before and found this video on YouTube very helpful (quite useful info to set up a spray gun too)
Certainly worth a watch if you are unsure about spraying.
I'm using Finish Line 2 part Diamond Clear coat, it's mix ratio is 2 clear coat to 1 hardener.
Clear coat.jpeg

I decided to just do the wheel arches for now, so if it came out a complete bollox it wouldn't be the end of the world and I would have learnt how to correct the problem before I did the other pieces. I gave the arches a wipe over with a tack cloth and sprayed a reasonably light coat, with a good overlap on the spray. Probably about 75%. This material runs very easily so I didn't over do it. The first coat was left to flash off in about 15 minutes and then the second coat went on. At this point I closed the workshop and took the gun away to give it a good clean through with Finish Line thinners.
This is just after the second coat went on
Clear coat on 1.jpeg Clear coat on 2.jpeg
I know I will have some 'debris' in the clear coat cos I am not spraying in a dust free environment, but I will live with that. It's amazing how much the clear coat flows out as it drys.......fingers crossed for a decent finish. 🤞

Also some of the bits ive got so far, a hardwire kit and a windscreen mount, but been trying to put together a mirror dashcam mount in order I can tuck it out the way but still be able to press the buttons , alas some arnt sized correctly so the search continues

Meant to add see there’s a parking feature where it stays on after turning the ign off, thinking of doing that and hooking it to my aux battery once it’s fitted to ensure my starter battery isn’t drained

Wished to share just in case something here is useful to anyone
I have the same 'parking' feature on my system and I thought that it would be a drain if it were constantly on. I think it is only supposed to activate if the system in the dash cam senses G force from an impact. At least, I think that's what the Chinglish says :confused:. At the moment the system is powered from the Aux socket, so switches off when the car goes to sleep.

Found these mirror mounts , alas would have to check that the GPS mount on the dashcam will fit , wished to also share these in case it’s of interest to anyone else

Attachments

• IMG_0513.jpeg
    IMG_0513.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0514.jpeg
    IMG_0514.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0512.png
    IMG_0512.png
    189.9 KB · Views: 4
A little more progress today, I summoned up the courage to spray the clear coat. I've not used this finish before and found this video on YouTube very helpful (quite useful info to set up a spray gun too)
Certainly worth a watch if you are unsure about spraying.
I'm using Finish Line 2 part Diamond Clear coat, it's mix ratio is 2 clear coat to 1 hardener.
View attachment 529829

I decided to just do the wheel arches for now, so if it came out a complete bollox it wouldn't be the end of the world and I would have learnt how to correct the problem before I did the other pieces. I gave the arches a wipe over with a tack cloth and sprayed a reasonably light coat, with a good overlap on the spray. Probably about 75%. This material runs very easily so I didn't over do it. The first coat was left to flash off in about 15 minutes and then the second coat went on. At this point I closed the workshop and took the gun away to give it a good clean through with Finish Line thinners.
This is just after the second coat went on
View attachment 529830 View attachment 529831
I know I will have some 'debris' in the clear coat cos I am not spraying in a dust free environment, but I will live with that. It's amazing how much the clear coat flows out as it drys.......fingers crossed for a decent finish. 🤞

Massive respect as they look the bizz mate , hats off to u for doing such an awesome job , credit to u my friend and bet ur wel, chuffed with it

Many Thks also for the video and bookmarked it to watch later

I have the same 'parking' feature on my system and I thought that it would be a drain if it were constantly on. I think it is only supposed to activate if the system in the dash cam senses G force from an impact. At least, I think that's what the Chinglish says :confused:. At the moment the system is powered from the Aux socket, so switches off when the car goes to sleep.

Many thks and funny enough just been reading through the manual , plus didn’t realise it has auto dimming and WiFi where I can connect it to my phone or iPad

Intelligent Parking Mode

Once enabled, Parking Mode will put the Dash Cam in to standby mode after 5 minutes of inactivity.
The Dash Cam will power on automatically and record 2 minutes of video, when physical movement of your vehicle is detected.

Back
Top Bottom