• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

My First Land rover! HELP!

mikeyc_16

First Gear
I am 16 and looking to buy my first land rover. just wondering if anyone has any knowledge on what's cheapest to insure and maintain. My 1st choice would be a 90 hardtop, but a 93-96 discovery would be my next choice. I also woudn't rule out a freelander.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!

Michael

Hi Michael,

Insurance wise, a Series (88/109) will be the cheapest to insure. I started off with one of these age 18 with one year no claims at £900 odd full comp. Now being 20 and no no claims, my 200tdi 90 is at £800 full comp. Discos and Freebies are quite a lot more expensive, usually double the price of a Series or Defender to insure.

I can only comment on Series and Defenders, I'm sure Discos are the same (maybe Freelanders?) always have something that needs doing to them. This isn't necessarily something urgent, but they're never perfect. You'll always find something else you want for them. It's not a cheap car to start with.

One last thing to bare in mind is the actual driving experience of most Landies. They are by no means quick, or even car like to drive. Life is much slower paced in a Landy, and it suits me down to the ground. If you've got any chance to drive one before you buy, I'd highly reccomend it. My first drive of a Series 3 and I was smitten. Had one on my parents drive 3 days later. Get out there and have a look, see what suits you.

Chris

Hi Michael,

Welcome, and great to see a youngester interested in something order than a Corsa/Saxo etc..

I would echo Chris above.. without wanting to put you off have you been in/driven (on private land of course given your age) a Land Rover? They are very different to the car you'll be learning to drive on, but they are sooo much fun.

There is a great deal of experience and knowledge on here, so ask loads of questions

Hi Mikey, and welcome to what i think is the best land rover tool you can have..this forum.. its helped me sooooo much.

I would try to find local Landy clubs in your area and contact them, they will invite you to join (you don't have to) in most cases they will invite you to meet up (usually at a pub), most will be happy to show you their vehicles and take you for a spin, some may let you have a drive (around the car park), they will all be able to advise you on the type of vehicle best suited to you and may have a list of vehicles for sale, they might (if you ask) come along to look at vehicles you may want to buy and advise on the vehicle condition.
you can also ring around ins companies for comparison estimates.

Good luck shopping.

Hi Michael,

Insurance wise, a Series (88/109) will be the cheapest to insure. I started off with one of these age 18 with one year no claims at £900 odd full comp. Now being 20 and no no claims, my 200tdi 90 is at £800 full comp. Discos and Freebies are quite a lot more expensive, usually double the price of a Series or Defender to insure.

I can only comment on Series and Defenders, I'm sure Discos are the same (maybe Freelanders?) always have something that needs doing to them. This isn't necessarily something urgent, but they're never perfect. You'll always find something else you want for them. It's not a cheap car to start with.

One last thing to bare in mind is the actual driving experience of most Landies. They are by no means quick, or even car like to drive. Life is much slower paced in a Landy, and it suits me down to the ground. If you've got any chance to drive one before you buy, I'd highly reccomend it. My first drive of a Series 3 and I was smitten. Had one on my parents drive 3 days later. Get out there and have a look, see what suits you.

Chris
sorry to hi jack yes you are right got told by a nice insurance agent not to touch tdis ,tds or basicly any thing under 20 years old (vehicles) as your insurance goes through the roof get a 21/4 diesel and limit miles on classic insurance be cheeper

If you can get your hands on an ex-army lightweight (square wheelarches), it will probably be the most fun, and cheapest to insure. It's not old enough to be historic, and most have been heavily used by the army, with dents and patches to go with it. The only thing to watch is the condition of the chassis and steering for the MOT. Just make sure whether it's been converted to 12V or still on the military 24V.

Alternatively your choice of 90 will be in better shape than most of the Series III's you'll see for under £900

As others have said, you will always find a job here and there that needs doing, often while you are lying on your back in the rain underneath the thing on a cold winter's night :mad:

However, they are brilliant fun, distinctive. high enough to see over over cars and hedgerows which is good and gives you a nice position on the road and you can easily move off road and into very challenging terrain without any worries. Have a blast off road, then drive home.

Back
Top Bottom