• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Ninety V8 Auto conversion, A few small tech questions.

Do i take it the TD5 speed sensor different then? I have the original V8 Speed sensor on the T box already from the Disco setup. I will do some prodding and some looking and see what comes up.

YBE100530 is the td5 sensor , get from rover dealer , as the aftermarket ones are of variable quality . they are a single bolt fixing to transfer box 3 wires 1 is live 1 is earth the other is signal wire to td5 speedo and then you take output from speedo to ecu (modified pulse rate) .HTSH

Update.

Time isn't on my hands so the TD5 dash idea will have to hold fast for a while until i get round to it.
I know of a old 3.9 auto RRC that might be the right year to have the Speed transducer. Might save a few quid.

Radiator still ongoing.....

Fuel pump will be an intank Carb top half with the EFI pump from a RR / Disco bottom Hybrid. thus giving me the right pump capacity and not having such a delicate item outside and in the elements. The Carb style intank arrives soonish.

In other news the new pistons and seals for my front calipers have arrived, now to await the paint drying on the calipers and i will assemble them just in time to go on the axles....
Which have had the crusty mud and surface rust taken off and Zinc phosphate primer applied, Tomorrow evening should see the KBS Rustseal topcoat applied. For a Pair of 1995 year axles that have been on a Disco they are in very good nick and so need no remedial work..

Lastly to compliment the axles and to do the trailing and radius arms justice my suspension bushes are here and waiting fitting, To nights job i think! And a little postscript to practice what i preach ohh yes they are Superpro's as well! Cost a small fortune but my golly they are going to be worth it!

I have a spare AMR3386 sitting in the garage... so most of the parts you need are here - given I'll be concentrating on building a megasquirt to replace the 14CUX most of my spares won't be needed. Even have a brand new spare large MAF for a THOR and will have a spare GEMS 4.6 5AM.
Cheers

... given I'll be concentrating on building a megasquirt to replace the 14CUX ...
Are you planning on the full works, with EDIS8 ignition ?
That's on my "round tuit" list as well, but I'll be wanting to go dual map to run LPG as well. In the meantime, I'm trying to put new bits on faster than they rust off :rolleyes:

soo Gav you sure i can't swap you the trigger wheel and sensor i have here with a few pounds going your way? Don't want too feel like i'm robbing you.

Even if it is you're fault for me wanting and now going down the V8 auto route :p

On other news my fuel tank is the wrong one for the intank pump setup. Anyone interested in an early 90 tank with the pickup / sensor combo and single return hole tank? it was new a few years ago but has a little surface rust.

Hiya Simon,
I'm going Megasquirt 2 with direct drive coils using the existing GEMS crank sensor and 36-1 toothed wheel on the flywheel,adding in the knock sensors and using my twin wideband lambdas I build some years ago. Thought about MS1 and EDIS but that meant extra toothed wheel, VR sensor and mounting on the front of the engine which is already a bit tight over the diff pan for a well RTV'd 90 and Corwnall & Devon LRC RTV's can be very rough! - my excuse for not winning anyway :-D

Also it seems right to use the existing stuff rather than buy more. Also I quite like the challenge - famous last words! EDIS is very good and with a simple bypass valve rather than stepper motor MS1 + EDIS is a good system.

Still pointing people at your LPG pages :)
Cheers
Gavin

Ro mate, you can't blame me!

I don't currently need the trigger wheel/sensor but you are welcome to the speed sensor. Soon I'll need your contacts to help move the good 3.9 on now I have the ACR top-hatted 4.6 - still want to stick it in Wilma but I know your lot would go ape doing that to a very original Series one 88 - you'll just have to find me an ex-trialler 80 with a V8 :-D

Catch you later
Gavin

you can buy a plug and play MS that you just swap the lucas ECU for.

I have a spare AMR3386 sitting in the garage... so most of the parts you need are here - given I'll be concentrating on building a megasquirt to replace the 14CUX most of my spares won't be needed. Even have a brand new spare large MAF for a THOR and will have a spare GEMS 4.6 5AM.
Cheers
and

Yes you can buy a full p'n'p system off V8 Developments but it isn't cheap and given that a long time ago I got a masters degree in electronics I _should_ be able to build one up :)

Hi, i have bitten the bullet and ordered a NAS speedo cable The transducer and short cable i have acquired off a friend for a extremely reasonable amount ;)
Currently still swearing at the fact of having the wrong fuel tank. Might have to go down the external pump route after all...

Front calipers are all rebuilt and looking very nice. ready to fit when i swap the axles,

Ohh and ashcrofts left me a very nice present today, Yes my centre console is here! :)

Mine is external and came from Demon Tweeks I think. Plenty of fuel and pressure! Sits on top of the chassis rail alongside the big efi fuel filter to keep any rubbish out of the injectors.

We did the external pump and filter for my brothers 90 and there is a copy set up on his CCV motor so i'm familiar with it, but as brookwells had a credit they owe me for the damper turrets they tried to sell me two pairs i had some owing so i have gone and put an order in with them and i have replaced the fuel tank. just to keep it in tank and out of all the rubbish and the muck.

Now as there wasn't any instructions given, How do you fit a Ashcroft tunnel to a 90? I was expecting at least an A4 sheet and a template showing where to drill the holes and another showing how much of the back i need to remove as i plan to keep my centre bulkhead. and don't have a tubular one.

A wee update, Axles all changed i now have disc's all round and nice shiny bits to complement them, thanks to some terrafirma catalogue abuse.

The living room now resembles the stock room at any of the parts departments across the country. I must admit my stainless 50th anniversary exhaust does look rather nice! Now just to get the right mounts to fit it.

Slow and steady, No not the landy the progress being made. The great british summer is proving a little testing as i am working outside.

All the brake pipes are done needed to be a little creative as a few were missing so needed to improvise but all the routing is done and it looks nice. Kunifer brake pipe does work nicely and a proper flaring tool is a must to get the correct and safe flares. Oh and the requisite goodrich hoses.

Transmission oil cooler done. A mocal 13row cooler mounted infront of the radiator using the front panel mounts but i'm sure there is other ways of doing it, All mounted using rubber bobins to prevent vibration damage. The original pipes were cut just behind the original swages and i used a 1/2inch compression fitting with the thread that mates to the oil cooler pipework, the mocal's is 1/2 inch BSP and i found the correct pipes off ebay but can be brought of mocal themselves. It all looks correct and is far better than using rubber tubing and hose clips.

and as the weather has been a bit naff soo not strictly a priority but i have but my HD steering bars on.

My radiator is here! I'm very excited!
Thanks to plym rads who have created a rad which i suspect is what looks like a standard V8 one but is essentially a TD one but with the correct inlets and outlets to match the bends in my existing pipework!
It does look rather nice!

I'll see if i can resuscitate my camera.

More pressingly whilst it will fit in the hole, My cowl won't fit it! I ordered the 50th cowl (ERR7307) and the one i have looks like it fits a later Disco V8. It is far too wide for the rad itself. Anyone here got a 50th that they can measure for me?

Back
Top Bottom