• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Range Rover Sat Nav Upgrade to DVD for L322 2002-05 Models

ammars27

Shifting Up
The best upgrade I must have done to my RR was to convert the sat nav system from the old cd to the new DVD sysytem, makes the sat nav in 3D brilliant also got speed cameras! full colour and also 7 digit post codes. Just buy new DVD model & plug & play. you will need to get 2008 disc and you are rockin.I also got TV in motion done for £50, i got the whole deal done fron a local guy, (off coarse I dont watch TV while I drive my wife does!) :) ITS A MUST DO UPGRADE!!:):D

Is that the same DVD system that is on the new Range Rovers and Jaguars? If so, I didn't realise it was in 3D.

Re TV in motion - how is the picture on the move? I always worry that if I did that, I'd either be distracted, or if I was involved in an accident and it was found that the TV was on, I'd be in trouble.

Hi, TV on the move is preety good depending on where you are on motorways its best or in town in traffic slow moving, yes it can be dangerous whilst you drive so dont drink n drive and watch TV :D, I REALLY ONLY LET THE WIFE WATCH WHILST I DRIVE! :p

If you want to add your own DVD to the front screen buy this cable and it allows you to watch DVD on the sat nav screen or add a reverse camera also, will be doing it this weekend so let you know how i get along,

Ammar

Hi ther just reading about your L322 SatNav upgrade. Sounds really cool. It's something I've been wanting to do for a while. With more points on my licence recently, the spped camera functionality would come in handy. You mentioned you got the upgrade fitted by a local guy. Would it be possible to get an introduction or referal from you. Wouldnt mind the TV done as well!
Regards, Vino

The best upgrade I must have done to my RR was to convert the sat nav system from the old cd to the new DVD sysytem, makes the sat nav in 3D brilliant also got speed cameras! full colour and also 7 digit post codes. Just buy new DVD model & plug & play. you will need to get 2008 disc and you are rockin.I also got TV in motion done for £50, i got the whole deal done fron a local guy, (off coarse I dont watch TV while I drive my wife does!) :) ITS A MUST DO UPGRADE!!:):D

Hi ther just reading about your L322 SatNav upgrade. Sounds really cool. It's something I've been wanting to do for a while. With more points on my licence recently, the spped camera functionality would come in handy. You mentioned you got the upgrade fitted by a local guy. Would it be possible to get an introduction or referal from you. Wouldnt mind the TV done as well!
Regards, Vino

Hi

This is something which I am trying to do but with no joy. Can you let me know how your upgrade went,the cost of it and if you dont mind provide me with a contact number for the person who carried out the work.

Many thanks.

Hi could you tell me how much this cost you anf where I could this done thank you avon

What you need is the BMW Mk4 DVD sat nav unit. You can often find these for sale on eBay for around £400-£500 new. Because our '02-'05 RRs are basically a BMW X5 underneath, the Mk4 DVD unit is just a straight swap for the standard Mk3 CD unit and you can fit it yourself in (literally) three minutes - and two of those are waiting for it to power down (it's just the black box in the boot that you're changing).

Remember though that you need BMW DVD sat nav discs and not Land Rover ones - and it's the 'High' version of the disc you want, not the 'Professional' one which is for iDrive BMWs.

I fitted mine a couple of years ago and it makes a huge difference to the driving experience (though you do lose the off-road sat nav capability of the standard Mk 3 CD-based system, in case that's important to you).

You can then flog your old Mk3 unit on eBay (typically fetch £150-£200) or keep it in the loft in case you ever want to swap it back again - but you won't!

This upgrade only applies to 2002-2004 models and not to 2005, when they changed to the Denso system.

The Mk4 unit will have a BMW splash screen as standard but it's easy to download firmware which changes this to a Range Rover one.

Where can one obtain splash screens for Land/Range Rover ?
Also which software allows this change ? Where can we download Software ?

Thanks

Basically :

Acquire the latest firmware update (which is currently V32) either from your local BMW parts department on a CD, or by downloading from here :

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IP0KD0O0

(To check which version of your operating system is already installed on your Mk4 system go to the 'Set' menu on your screen and in the top RH corner it will say 4-1/80 if V28 is installed, 4-1/90 for V29.0, 4-1/91 for V29.1, etc. If you already happen to be on V32 (4-1/00) you have to downgrade to an earlier version before you can upgrade to your custom version)

Use a program called NavTweak (free download) to replace the existing splash screen with your own and burn your custom version of V32 onto a CD and load it into your Mk4 for it to update the operating system (takes about 6 minutes to do).

I used a splash screen created by Vortec4800 on another forum (attached below) but you can use any image that you've knocked up in Photoshop as long as it's saved as a .gif file of 400 x 234 pixels resolution.

For all things relating to BMW Mk4 sat nav mods, go here :

http://www.x5world.com/navigation-system/

Further info. also available here :

http://www.rangerovers.net/rrupgrades/nav/mkivcomputer.html

Attachments

• splash.gif
    splash.gif
    23.7 KB · Views: 525
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
Have done this update is the best add-on available. I used Andy at [email protected] for the parts and all advice needed, he was brilliant. Took about 30 mins to change. Would recommend. ;)

Sorry to ask a stupid question here, is this upgrade possible if you just have the basic LED type screen, can a screen be purchased, the dvd/sat computer in the back and all the wiring will work?

Cheers

What you need is the BMW Mk4 DVD sat nav unit. You can often find these for sale on eBay for around £400-£500 new. Because our '02-'05 RRs are basically a BMW X5 underneath, the Mk4 DVD unit is just a straight swap for the standard Mk3 CD unit and you can fit it yourself in (literally) three minutes - and two of those are waiting for it to power down (it's just the black box in the boot that you're changing).

I'm going to go this path I think. I just need to wait for a buddy who is good at installations to get back from hollidays.

Seriously, you can do this yourself!

Remove the left hand side cover in the boot to access your Mk3 CD sat. nav. drive & eject the map CD.

Make sure the ignition is off & remove the key.

Wait for 2 minutes and ensure that the red light has gone out on the unit.

Make a release tool from bent wire coat hangers and poke them in the two holes either side of the unit to release it from its frame. Slide the unit out.

At the back of the unit you'll find two multiplugs and a coaxial lead – unplug them and remove the unit.

On the back of the MkIV DVD unit you'll see identical sockets so just plug the three wires back in.

Slide the whole unit back into the frame until it clicks.

That's it! You're now running with a far superior (much quicker, split-screen, perspective view, whole of Europe on one disc, etc.) DVD-based sat. nav. system.

(Warning - Once you see the benefits of the MkIV you won't want to stop there. The next inevitable step is to spend a couple of hundred quid on an Intravee II & Alpine KCA-420i and then you can plug in your iPod and control it from the steering wheel buttons while displaying the tracks on your screen)

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that. It could be quite expensive though. The screen & video module alone retail at £1450, then there's the cost of the MkIV unit on top of that (though all these components sometimes crop up on eBay)

(Warning - Once you see the benefits of the MkIV you won't want to stop there. The next inevitable step is to spend a couple of hundred quid on an Intravee II & Alpine KCA-420i and then you can plug in your iPod and control it from the steering wheel buttons while displaying the tracks on your screen)

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, been lurking for a while whilst looking for a V8 Rangie which I collected last week :D

I've done the MKIV nav upgrade and am looking at moving to the next stage. The mods you mention sound very interesting!!

I've had a look at the intravee website but the info I'm looking for I can't find, specifically how easy is it to fit, can I do it myself and how much is the total package?
Also do you have to buy the Intravee AND Alpine kca or is it either or?

Many thanks,

Chris

Back
Top Bottom