• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Range Rover Sat Nav Upgrade to DVD for L322 2002-05 Models

Chris,

"how easy is it to fit, can I do it myself"

You have to remove the CD multichanger (if you have one) from the glovebox to unplug the two wires at the back which is a bit of a pain - takes an hour or so if you ain't done it before - but nothing too difficult. I can send you instructions if you need them

"how much is the total package"

The Intravee II is £150 and the KCA-420i was around £50 when I got mine but it seems to have gone up to closer to £100 recently??

http://www.toysinyourcar.com/acatalog/intravee.html

"do you have to buy the Intravee AND Alpine kca or is it either or"

You need both to play your iPod. The Intravee replaces the CD changer on the BMW (entertainment system) I-bus and converts it to Alpine's AI-net. You can then plug Alpine AI-net equipment in to the Intravee and control it from the steering wheel controls, screen display, etc. The KCA-420i is Alpine's iPod interface. Alternatively you could plug in one of the Alpine AI-net CD/MP3 autochangers like the CHA-S634

If you're just after an MP3/CD autochanger though (& not iPod connectivity) it might be simpler just to swap out your existing one for the later BMW unit

Just to emphasize that fitting the Intravee means you can no longer use your standard CD autochanger

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really struggling with upgrading the Firmware to V32.
I've followed all the steps as detailed in the post I've copied and pasted below (found on X5 world) but all I get is a screen that says please insert the correct disc!
I'm definately running a MKIV unit!
Can anyone help me?

First of all, check here to see all the history you need regarding the changes since 4-1/50, the most significant of which is Perspective Mode which you don't have.

If you're confident with downloading files and burning images then you shouldn't have any real problem. The install process in your car is very straightforward as long as you follow the procedure exactly.

The file in the very first post of this thread will download as a 97.5MB (or thereabouts) .rar WinRAR file. When extracted you will have a 250MB (or thereabouts) .ISO file. Burn this image to a disc using MagicISO, ImgBurn, Nero or whatever in Mode 2. Once burned, open the disc to view the contents, you should have approximately 13 folders and 41 files immediately visible, the majority of the files are SoftConfig.table files. These figures only relate to this v32 disc of course, but it's just a rough confirmation check that you've burnt the disc correctly.

The install procedure is described in many locations on here, and is as follows :

1) Open tailgate and driver's door and leave open
2) Go to the boot and wait for the red light on your nav unit to go out, which may take a couple of minutes, be patient!
3) Eject the map disc, I've found that you need to press the eject button twice to do this, once to wake the unit up and once to eject the disc
4) Go back to the front and switch the ignition to position 1 - DO NOT close the driver's door!
5) Return to the boot and insert your newly-burned software disc
6) Look forward and observe the screen, it may go black for a few seconds and should then show "Software will update"
7) The update process will start and a progress bar will appear at the bottom of the screen, this phase may take up to 6 minutes
8) When the "Reboot" screen eventually appears, eject the software disc, go to the front and confirm reboot by pressing the right hand button
9) Return to the boot and insert the map disc.

Don't rush the process, if your screen goes black and doesn't start the update process (Step 6) after 10 minutes or so then you have a problem, however, if you're methodical with the entire process, right from the file download point, then all should be absolutely fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
HI there, new boy posting !!
I Have a late 2006 range rover and wondered if this upgrade is possible for me. I have used tomtom for the past few years and miss having the speed camera alert. Is it possible to have this on the range rover factory system.

The upgrades mentioned above refer specifically to the BMW-based (I-bus) system used in 2002-2004 models. From 2005 onwards the systems changed (fibre-optic MOST bus, touchscreen, etc.) and I'm afraid I don't know if / how these can be updated. Hopefully someone else will be along in a minute who knows how to do this ....

Hi Guys

I have a 2003 Vogue which had all the sat nav and toys factory fitted, but i suffered a leak in the rear left hand side of the bootspace which killed all my electrical equipment. I have been running the car for about 3 months with no sat nav unit installed in the boot, but when i came to upgrade to the MK4 system all i got on the monitor is a black screen from the second i turn the car on. Can you guys let me know if its a problem with the car or with the MK4. I tried a software upgrade but it did not even register on the screen it just stayed completly black.

hi yes u can get update disc that have camera warnings on them

HI there, new boy posting !!
I Have a late 2006 range rover and wondered if this upgrade is possible for me. I have used tomtom for the past few years and miss having the speed camera alert. Is it possible to have this on the range rover factory system.

hi lads - speak to this guy he will flash the bios on your DVD unit and sell you the DVD disc with speed cameras on - you can post you unit to him and he can sort it out on the bench - ebay item number - 280376590658 - r1ray

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie, but looking to do this as I can't live with this crappy satnav any longer... Does anyone have part number for this? As BMW are being obstinate as it's not going in a BMW (they keep going on about warranties and won't take "I don't care, it no longer has one" as an answer lol :D ).

ATB,
Tom

hi mate - poss got a spare DVD sat nav unit here with the latest firmware [v32] and a DVD disc with 09 maps - i fitted a new DVD drive [laser] and still testing it in my motor - thanks r1ray - ps will not be cheap

please note that the firmware with speed cameras has a few bugs in the system and i have now taken it off 5 systems now and replaced with the standard v32 firmware

hi mate - poss got a spare DVD sat nav unit here with the latest firmware [v32] and a DVD disc with 09 maps - i fitted a new DVD drive [laser] and still testing it in my motor - thanks r1ray - ps will not be cheap

If you could let me know roughly how much you'll be looking for, I may well be interested :D

ATB,
Tom

If you could let me know roughly how much you'll be looking for, I may well be interested :D

ATB,
Tom
hi mate - when i sell it i can get £400 plus on ebay all day long and with a new laser there will be more interest - the DVD unit is around £900 new from the dealers - thanks r1ray

I have been reading info from a few suppliers and it seems some people with tv tuners in their land rover could not install the new computer I wondered if you had this problem? Thanks

If you're referring to fitting a BMW Mk4 DVD sat nav computer in a 02-04 L322 fitted with a TV tuner then, no, I haven't heard about that issue before. I have a TV tuner in mine & had/have no problems and I know many people who've done the same. Could you maybe post links to this information - I'd be interested to see what issue they are raising?

Back
Top Bottom