• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Series III LWB 'Tent on Wheels' Conversion

Capture2.JPG

Got nothing on this guy though!!! (Seen in the interweb)

So, onto paint...

Having read a few threads on here, I had anticipated a week long rubbing down and then hand painting, how wrong I was to be...

20211010_160531.jpg

Firstly a previous owner had given the Landy a brushed paint job, but it was over everything and had gone on really thickly - I don't think there was any thinners involved at all. So it all had to come off....

I started with the back end as it needed attention to fit a tailgate and sort the wiring for the lights and quickly realised this was going to take a long time... So long, that plans were changed and it's not going to be painted in one go, but panel by panel. After much stripping and rubbing down, the back end was bare...

20220818_150356.jpg

The 'look' - I quickly realised that I needed to establish from the outset what end 'look' I wanted. I've always liked the unpainted galvanised bits on civvy Landies, but understand why they get covered up on military ones. So what to do, what's 'right' and what do I want? I've decided to keep bare all the galvanised bits and brackets and paint the rest satin 'NATO' green - uncamoflaged - that way, in the future if I want to I can paint over the galvanised bits or add camouflage - but fully expect my decision to split opinion...

So it was off with the screen and strip it (I had to replace one pane anyway)

20220704_153004.jpg

Next up was the bonnet as the frame needed surgery...

20220822_142921.jpg

And the wheels which were white...

20220914_155020.jpg

And then the front wing tops (horribly covered in checkerplate) and bulkhead

20221025_162356.jpg

Finally putting back the vents with new seals and yes there are a couple of holes that need welding.

20221118_210612.jpg

Now this really will split opinion... Bumpers - off they came, checkerplate removed got blasted and then regalvanised... Yes they're a bit bright and clean, but they'll dull down and if I change my mind I can always paint them...

20221129_200053.jpg

So, onto paint...

Having read a few threads on here, I had anticipated a week long rubbing down and then hand painting, how wrong I was to be...

View attachment 303142

Firstly a previous owner had given the Landy a brushed paint job, but it was over everything and had gone on really thickly - I don't think there was any thinners involved at all. So it all had to come off....

I started with the back end as it needed attention to fit a tailgate and sort the wiring for the lights and quickly realised this was going to take a long time... So long, that plans were changed and it's not going to be painted in one go, but panel by panel. After much stripping and rubbing down, the back end was bare...

View attachment 303144

The 'look' - I quickly realised that I needed to establish from the outset what end 'look' I wanted. I've always liked the unpainted galvanised bits on civvy Landies, but understand why they get covered up on military ones. So what to do, what's 'right' and what do I want? I've decided to keep bare all the galvanised bits and brackets and paint the rest satin 'NATO' green - uncamoflaged - that way, in the future if I want to I can paint over the galvanised bits or add camouflage - but fully expect my decision to split opinion...

So it was off with the screen and strip it (I had to replace one pane anyway)

View attachment 303143

Next up was the bonnet as the frame needed surgery...

View attachment 303145

And the wheels which were white...

View attachment 303146

And then the front wing tops (horribly covered in checkerplate) and bulkhead

View attachment 303147

Finally putting back the vents with new seals and yes there are a couple of holes that need welding.

View attachment 303148

Now this really will split opinion... Bumpers - off they came, checkerplate removed got blasted and then regalvanised... Yes they're a bit bright and clean, but they'll dull down and if I change my mind I can always paint them...

View attachment 303149
Good work ..bit more that a week then 😉

Next up was the bulkhead between cab and truck, partly due to the military and partly due to previous owners' seat belt positions, the bulkhead on my Landy is full of holes of various sizes.

20221209_155220.jpg

So my only real option was to cover the bulkhead in trim panels as described earlier, these could finally be fitted as they screw into the trim panel (aka bed headboard) in the truck back.

The bulkhead was topped off with a Penthouse map light which was in the box of bits in the back when I got the car. It has been re wired to circumvent the military wiring connectors and finally got working after tracking down a dodgy earth.

20221209_181042.jpg

Back in the cab, the driver's side had elastic added to the trim panel to secure a warning triangle.

20221209_182225.jpg

Whilst the passenger side has terry clips to hold the wheel nut wrench.

20221209_182208.jpg

The 'through bulkhead wiring' was also sorted too:

Battery cable - to charge the leisure batteries
24v power - from leisure batteries to dash mounted voltmeter
12v power - from the voltage converter to engine bay mounted 4 way busbar
50amp cable - from 24v battery charger to starter batteries via a battery selector master switch.

The wiring on top of the shunt box is for a cubby box mounted interior light, but more of that when built...

So, into the back...

The original concept for the back was to have two opposing 'benches' one of which contained a 'fold out' kitchen and both of which would have slide out bases to form a bed. However after lots of measuring I determined that this wasn't really feasible - having looked at lots of Landy conversions online all seem to have a fixed 'kitchen unit' down one side and no 'fold out' kitchen - they also all seem to be hard tops.

So back to the drawing board... A bench one side and a kitchen unit the other was the way to go, with a further bench against the bulkhead.

First off all superfluous rivets / screws / bolts were removed from the floor and benches. Then templates were made showing all protrusions, so 12mm ply could be cut and then have suitable recesses cut in using a router so the ply would sit flat.

This is the bench and kitchen base template - same one does both if reversed.

20221219_164143.jpg

And this is the bulkhead bench or leisure batteries box base template - bit of a nightmare...

20221219_191432.jpg

This is the cut out and recessed bench base.

20221219_165535.jpg

And finally bench base fits (LHS) kitchen base (RHS) and leisure batteries box base (centre)

20221219_185933.jpg

Then it was cutting templates for access to the tool locker storage.

20221223_184243.jpg

So both bench and kitchen bases have access.

20221224_192504.jpg

20221224_192534.jpg

Oh - A very Happy Christmas to all!

Attachments

• 20221224_192504.jpg
    20221224_192504.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20221223_184243.jpg
    20221223_184243.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 14
  • 20221219_185933.jpg
    20221219_185933.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20221219_165535.jpg
    20221219_165535.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 15
Sorry for the lack of updates, but January being blooming chilly and a head full of blue post Christmas combined to not a lot of recent progress...

Anyway, there I was , smugly thinking of the progress I was making, when it dawned on me that anybody that can undo a knot can access the car. No worries, I'll just lock everything away in the glove box, except there isn't one...

So, I'd have to build one, but where? Can't go between the front seats - that's where the batteries live, can't mount on top of the battery box - it just unclips, can't go between the battery box and the rear bulkhead - that's where the shunt box lives, so on top of the shunt box it was.

First of, after lots of measuring I cut and screwed & glued the back, base and hinge panel, routing out the base for some wiring from the shunt box.

20230202_150421.jpg

Next up the sides and front were fitted, the front has holes for switches and wiring.

20230202_192436.jpg

After that the lid was cut and a recess for the lock routed out.

20230206_172525.jpg

Then it came apart so I could rout out recesses for the switches that I'd forgotten about...

20230206_175234.jpg

Finally back together, with switches in place and an interior light (which came off the hard top that came with the car) on the front.

20230206_193530.jpg

The top'll be finished off with an old badge, donated by a friend (thanks Jim).

20230206_193539.jpg

So, I just need to strip it again, filler in the screw heads, sand, shape the top and cover with vinyl before final fitting and wiring up...

Attachments

• 20230206_193539.jpg
    20230206_193539.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230206_193530.jpg
    20230206_193530.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230206_175234.jpg
    20230206_175234.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230206_172525.jpg
    20230206_172525.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230202_192436.jpg
    20230202_192436.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230202_192501.jpg
    20230202_192501.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230202_150421.jpg
    20230202_150421.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 15
Finally covered the cubby box in vinyl and refitted and then wired up the electrics.

20230223_181309.jpg

The interior was lined with black vinyl covered cardboard and the wiring protector also forms a pen / key / change tray.

20230223_181248.jpg

Badge on the top was straitened, cleaned, primed, painted black and then the raised oval and lettering sanded / wet and dry back to reveal the aluminium beneath, before clear coating.

20230223_181427.jpg

Haven't quite decided whether to mount the badge permanently there, so it's currently a temporary fix.

20230227_171730.jpg

And so into the back, so the 'Tent on wheels' conversion proper can start. The thing about LWB Landies is that whilst they look huge on the outside, they're a reverse tardis and actually quite small on the inside...

So, into a space of 6' x 4'9" x 20" - about the size of a double bed (some of which is taken up by 2 x wheel arches) I'm trying to fit: a bench, a bed, a dining table, storage areas, room to move about, an electrical system, an inverter, 2 x batteries, gas canisters in a gas cabinet, battery cut off, voltage sensitive relay, water pump, blue water tank, water inlet, fridge, battery charger, power inlet socket, distribution box, 2 x plug sockets, sink, grey water storage and 2 x gas burners, which has led to a lot of head scratching...

I've been through numerous designs, each one causing problems 'down the line', ultimately the eventual design solution will be a series of compromises and is still evolving and will continue to do so as the build progresses, but the basic design is there:

LHS - Bench / seating, half the bed, 12v electrical system, control panel and storage.
Centrally against the bulkhead - 2 x leisure batteries, gas canisters in a gas cabinet
RHS - 'Kitchen unit', fridge, water system, 240v electrical system, battery charger

I've started with the LHS and cut the bench base, with cut out access to the tool storage locker (lid removed).

20221224_192534.jpg

Next I built a cardboard template for a 'bucket' to drop in to the existing hole in the existing 'bench' between the wheel arch and the cab rear bulkhead.

20230227_171852.jpg

Ensuring that the template doesn't intrude on the wheel arch and can't be seen 'square on'.

20230227_172227.jpg

20230227_172240.jpg

This was the built up out of ply, although it became smaller, so it didn't interfere with the structure of the bench / bed.

20230315_193619.jpg

It just slots in once an acess cut out has been formed.

20230315_201136.jpg

Further access holes were cut in the bench base for storage and the 3 bench back supports were cut.

20230320_200302.jpg

Then I moved on to building the bench structure and bench back - the joinery has been a bit more complicated than necessary because I decided early doors that I didn't want to see any screw heads, so, it'll be glued and pegged with dowels. The black bits in the photo are plastic sliding door runners in case you're curious and the height of the storage has been designed to take a tin vertically as the photo shows - in doing this sort of thing you have to think of everything...

20230329_195056.jpg

I've done quite a bit of joinery in the past, so enjoyed the challenge, whilst I'd love a fully equipped joinery workshop, I don't have one, but managed this all with a handsaw, drill and holesaws, jigsaw, plunge router and a hammer and chisel - so don't be put off if you haven't got all the kit, give it a go!

And so into the back, so the 'Tent on wheels' conversion proper can start. The thing about LWB Landies is that whilst they look huge on the outside, they're a reverse tardis and actually quite small on the inside...

So, into a space of 6' x 4'9" x 20" - about the size of a double bed (some of which is taken up by 2 x wheel arches) I'm trying to fit: a bench, a bed, a dining table, storage areas, room to move about, an electrical system, an inverter, 2 x batteries, gas canisters in a gas cabinet, battery cut off, voltage sensitive relay, water pump, blue water tank, water inlet, fridge, battery charger, power inlet socket, distribution box, 2 x plug sockets, sink, grey water storage and 2 x gas burners, which has led to a lot of head scratching...

I've been through numerous designs, each one causing problems 'down the line', ultimately the eventual design solution will be a series of compromises and is still evolving and will continue to do so as the build progresses, but the basic design is there:

LHS - Bench / seating, half the bed, 12v electrical system, control panel and storage.
Centrally against the bulkhead - 2 x leisure batteries, gas canisters in a gas cabinet
RHS - 'Kitchen unit', fridge, water system, 240v electrical system, battery charger

I've started with the LHS and cut the bench base, with cut out access to the tool storage locker (lid removed).

View attachment 314250

Next I built a cardboard template for a 'bucket' to drop in to the existing hole in the existing 'bench' between the wheel arch and the cab rear bulkhead.

View attachment 314251

Ensuring that the template doesn't intrude on the wheel arch and can't be seen 'square on'.

View attachment 314252
View attachment 314253

This was the built up out of ply, although it became smaller, so it didn't interfere with the structure of the bench / bed.

View attachment 314254

It just slots in once an acess cut out has been formed.

View attachment 314255

Further access holes were cut in the bench base for storage and the 3 bench back supports were cut.

View attachment 314256

Then I moved on to building the bench structure and bench back - the joinery has been a bit more complicated than necessary because I decided early doors that I didn't want to see any screw heads, so, it'll be glued and pegged with dowels. The black bits in the photo are plastic sliding door runners in case you're curious and the height of the storage has been designed to take a tin vertically as the photo shows - in doing this sort of thing you have to think of everything...

View attachment 314257

I've done quite a bit of joinery in the past, so enjoyed the challenge, whilst I'd love a fully equipped joinery workshop, I don't have one, but managed this all with a handsaw, drill and holesaws, jigsaw, plunge router and a hammer and chisel - so don't be put off if you haven't got all the kit, give it a go!
Looking good well done .like the idea of “the bucket”. 🙂

In a small space multifunction is your friend. Want a table and a bed? Well make a table that becomes a bed!
If you want to get ideas I'd recommend George Clarke's Amazing Spaces on channel 4.

So - on with the bench...

So far nothing has been glued / screwed / dowelled, nothing can really be 'fixed' until all the component parts have been made.

Next up was making the electrical 'control panel', which fits between the bench back and the central bulkhead, again this was built up out of ply and fits around the seat belt bar diagonal.

20230407_185137.jpg

Next up, everything came apart so I could rebate the central beam for led lights, which will illuminate the storage - who wouldn't want that!

20230411_155622.jpg

Proof that it works...

20230411_153204.jpg

Then the bench back was cut, this'll eventually be covered in foam and dark green vinyl.

20230412_175909.jpg

The centre of the control panel was cut out, which will be replaced by aluminium sheet held in by dzus fasteners for ease of access. So far I'm planning for this to contain - a light, clock, water gauge, battery monitor, 12v leisure system master switch and a couple of light switches.

20230412_175922.jpg

After double checking everything fitted, it all came apart again so I could start gluing / screwing / doweling it all back together permanently. So far the bench base structure's been done.

20230413_201944.jpg

I think I'll be finishing the bench off in satin varnish, I was tempted with Nato satin green (like the bodywork), but felt that would make the back end 'too' green. Still, if I don’t like it I can always sand it back and paint it.

So - on with the bench...

So far nothing has been glued / screwed / dowelled, nothing can really be 'fixed' until all the component parts have been made.

Next up was making the electrical 'control panel', which fits between the bench back and the central bulkhead, again this was built up out of ply and fits around the seat belt bar diagonal.

View attachment 315666

Next up, everything came apart so I could rebate the central beam for led lights, which will illuminate the storage - who wouldn't want that!

View attachment 315667

Proof that it works...

View attachment 315668

Then the bench back was cut, this'll eventually be covered in foam and dark green vinyl.

View attachment 315669

The centre of the control panel was cut out, which will be replaced by aluminium sheet held in by dzus fasteners for ease of access. So far I'm planning for this to contain - a light, clock, water gauge, battery monitor, 12v leisure system master switch and a couple of light switches.

View attachment 315670

After double checking everything fitted, it all came apart again so I could start gluing / screwing / doweling it all back together permanently. So far the bench base structure's been done.

View attachment 315671

I think I'll be finishing the bench off in satin varnish, I was tempted with Nato satin green (like the bodywork), but felt that would make the back end 'too' green. Still, if I don’t like it I can always sand it back and paint it.
Great job .love the simplicity when people do these jobs that I can’t do ..

Looking great I have the same generator and have been thinking of were to move it and seeing where yours is I think when I get onto doing the tub etc it I will move it to the same place as you can see mine is not in the most practical area

Attachments

• Series 2 tub.jpg
    Series 2 tub.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 21
Back
Top Bottom