• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Dreamed

In Second Gear
Hi guys!

Hippo needs rescue. Please help!

Freelander 2004, TD4, manual. 93k.

I keep getting the same code P1090- Fuel Rail Pressure Plausibility. I update something, clear the code, but so far it keeps coming back when I take hippo for a ride.

When engine is cold, car takes a few extra cranks to start than normal (before fault). Also, I see blue smoke when I start. Once started it runs rough for a couple of minutes, but then it settles.

Idle is fine all the time after that. Even after I get the code and starts limping, if I take engine out of gear and let it idle, it idles just fine forever.

Problem occurs usually a few minutes after I start driving and after I change gears (usually downshift). As I release clutch and accelerate, hippo hiccups. :crying: This fault is exaggerated if for example I downshift from third to second, I start accelerating, reach 3000RMP and ready to shift back to third, but then I see something in front of me and I need to slow down a bit, so I release the throttle (RPMs go back to 2k) and then if I want to accelerate again, most times it starts hiccupping. Blue smoke appears sometimes. This is a classic scenario. Hiccups are in the range 1.8kRPM - 3kRPM. If I continue driving it ends in a cut off/breakdown. When I restart engine, MIL disappears, for a while, then re-appears when a similar scenario occurs. I can avoid hiccups if I manage to get it over 3kREVs. If I need to slow down, and I go back to 2k REVs range, it starts limping.

What I realised is that the fault is connected with the engine brake. What I mean is, if I accelerate to 3 k revs and then I suddenly take my foot of the pedal, engine slows down chaotically. Sometimes it goes smooth and gradual, sometimes it chokes and limps down. So, just as in the example above, if I am in second gear at 3k revs and release the throttle (suddenly or not), engine naturally enters the "engine brake" mode. My car seems to struggle with it and amplifies the problem.
On 5th gear I can't go over 3k REVS/ 70MPH unless downhill.

One day I managed to trigger the code stationary (video below), simply by playing with the throttle. Ups and downs, smooth or sharp accelerations. Fault seems to be connected with the throttle response. Sometimes I press the throttle and engine doesn't seem to respond accordingly. It feels as if it doesn't register the intensity of my "throttle pressing", or it does it randomly. I can get the engine to 4k Revs at random "pressing the throttle intensities".

The hippo has a new fuel filter, the EGR is blanked, a BMW cyclone breather, a new vent filter, air filter clean and I recently cleaned inlet manifold and most sensors and wires.

I back-probed the fuel rail sensor and I get a 5v in and 0.5V return in ignition mode. I also cleaned it. I believe it has been replaced already as it has a green connector.

I did injector leak off test. They are fine. All leak the same and very little.

Fuel pressure regulator valve readings seem a bit random though according to diagnostics. Same goes for the throttle readings.

I haven't cleaned the MAF yet, just the connections.

Luckily I have diagnostics and I take live readings. I believe for someone who is familiar with diesel, this should be an obvious problem.

I uploaded a bunch of videos, various tests. I caught one cut off while driving. I hope somebody here can interpret the data.

Any help is welcome :rolleyes:. I've been investigating this for some time and I could use some support.

Many thanks.

Update:

Car doesn't hiccup and doesn't register MIL if I disconnect High pressure sensor. The only code is for the sensor. What can this mean? Can this say 100% rail sensor is broken?

Check the low pressure fuel pump, there may be two of them i forget which years have what. Theres a two pump version that has an intank pump and one on the ns inner wing with the fue filter. The other type only has one pump located with the fuel filter on the os rear chassis i think. If one of the low pressure pumps is failing it will result in poor/no start condition and rough running problems.

Hey, thanks for reply. My TD4 has LPF pump in the rear arch. It gives consistent readings 350KPa+ and the ECU never generates P1260, or other codes related to that pump. Also idle runs perfectly all the time, except after cold start, but thats fairly normal.

The fault is related to the high pressure fuel in the common rail. Now one interesting fact is that the only thing I can do to avoid getting limps and MIL... is to disconnect the high pressure sensor. The car works fine without it. I mean as good as it gets without the sensor.

It's strange because there doesn't seem to be any problem with the sensor itself. I checked the voltages and it also gives readings... Is there any way I can test the sensor 100%? I don't just want to replace it based on an assumption.

Also I suspect pressure regulator as a possible culprit. If pressure regulator controls the high pressure sensor in any way, or vice versa then, any of the two can be broken. Yesterday for example, I saw something unusual. Just before engine cut of while accelerating, pressure regulator current went to 4V. Then car died. Very unusual high current. The load was not that big.... Most times under high load regulator goes up to 2.5V...

I've heard car won't run without the pressure regulator connected though, so I have no idea how to test that.

Fact is, car is not limping common rail sensor is disconnected.... STRANGE.

See the Thread,
P1190 fault code - Fuel Rail Plausibility. CHECK THIS OUT!!!! The fault code is a RED-Herring.

Back
Top Bottom