• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

TD5 cold start problem

We always had a problem with cold starting, always had to prime everything twice on our 2001 TD5. Eventually this also developed into immobiliser issues with battery draining, sometimes over a short period of time (3hrs), others longer (weeks). After last immobiliser issue whereby had to jump start, left it for 2 weeks. Battery drained, totally dead. Added in spare and got auto guy to run parasitic draw test, it was drawing 4 Amps !!. With a thermal camera found it was the 60Amp Glowplug Relay under drivers seat. No LR Dealer had stock (£70) so got a 70Amp one from AutoDoc (£20), starts on the button in coldest of days, and this is why, it was the original 21 yrs old relay.......... I urge anyone with an old TD5 who have cold start or battery issues to check, they are easily taken apart.

Capture.GIF

Is there an argument for replacing the relays in older vehicles?

Mine's a 1999 TD5 and I'm almost certain (although I've only owned it for a couple of years, I knew the previous owner since 2007) it's never had any relays replaced.

Starts pretty well, needs a bit of cranking in the cold, but could preventative maintenance be worthwhile?

Ive got the same problem as you and replaced the fuel block, pump and injector seals and my only conclustion is to get the injectors tested as i think one could be returning too much fuel, i did also have 2 glow plugs down which i replaced the set no difference,
Keep us posted if u find anything as im waiting for the weather to stop snowing before have the injectors tested
Will
I had strange starting problems, i was fine then would turn but had a really hard time catching and running. Once running it was ok. Changed my Injector Seals and the problem went away.

Relays can fail for various reasons, the ones carrying higher currents are more likely to arc the contacts, but theres no real way to predict failure.
You could carry a spare or two, or replace them all and carry the old ones as spares if it gives you peace of mind.
The problem these days is that the quality of manufacture of many parts isnt great, so the new ones could fail in a year or three anyway...

Is there an argument for replacing the relays in older vehicles?

Mine's a 1999 TD5 and I'm almost certain (although I've only owned it for a couple of years, I knew the previous owner since 2007) it's never had any relays replaced.

Starts pretty well, needs a bit of cranking in the cold, but could preventative maintenance be worthwhile?

Yes. They are a consumable item and will eventually need to be checked for wear on the internal contacts and replaced if necessary. They are easy to open up with a small flat head screwdriver and check. If there is evidence of burning or smoke staining or contact erosion then replace.

You can see the eroded terminals in this post. I ended up replacing 5 or 6 relays as they were all worn in one way or another.

Yes. They are a consumable item and will eventually need to be checked for wear on the internal contacts and replaced if necessary. They are easy to open up with a small flat head screwdriver and check. If there is evidence of burning or smoke staining or contact erosion then replace.

You can see the eroded terminals in this post. I ended up replacing 5 or 6 relays as they were all worn in one way or another.
That's all good info, I'm going to order a set, best to do a bit of preventative maintenance!!

Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom