• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Them EV thingys.

Tax per mile they need to fix the bloody roads, their in a terrible state everywhere ! We have already contributed to use of FFS
Yes we have paid (through the nose) but they don't ring fence tax on new car purchases, vehicle licence tax, fuel tax, DVLA licence renewal tax, the proportion of council tax 'allocated' to highways, etc. It all goes into the general taxation pot and gets divid out from there. You know, essentials such as MP salary rises, expenses, immigrant housing, social benefits, funding the Ukraine slaughter, DEI policies, etc. Who wants to spend on superfluous costs such as improving transport links to improve productivity, journey times and reduce wear and tear on vehicles. What a waste (sarc).

This might interest some (the list misses out one of the Japanese manufacturers also cutting back but I can't remember which) .....
5010dbb9d415c2ad.jpg

This might interest some (the list misses out one of the Japanese manufacturers also cutting back but I can't remember which) .....
View attachment 528695
That all relates to US production, not world production... and yes Tesla is warning of a decline in it's own sales as cheaper cars come on the market and taking sales away from them...

Hertz sold off half it's fleet as they are a car hire company and typically hired by those wanting to travel long distances across the USA, so a bit of a silly move on their part when the infrastructure in the US is not great for car charging. City hire though is working fine on Electric charging cars.

So true: This is a Tesla model Y battery. It takes up all of the space under the passenger compartment of the car. To manufacture it you need:
--12 tons of rock for Lithium (can also be extracted from sea water)
-- 5 tons of cobalt minerals (Most cobalt is made as a byproduct of processing copper and nickel ores. It is the most difficult and expensive material to obtain for a battery.)
-- 3 tons nickel ore
-- 12 tons of copper ore

You must move 250 tons of soil to obtain:
-- 26.5 pounds of Lithium
-- 30 pounds of nickel
-- 48.5 pounds of manganese
-- 15 pounds of cobalt

To manufacture the battery also requires:
-- 441 pounds of aluminum, steel and/or plastic
-- 112 pounds of graphite

The Caterpillar 994A is used to move the earth to obtain the minerals needed for this battery. The Caterpillar consumes 264 gallons of diesel in 12 hours.

The bulk of necessary minerals for manufacturing the batteries come from China or Africa. Much of the labor in Africa is done by children. When you buy an electric car, China profits most.
The 2021 Tesla Model Y OEM battery (the cheapest Tesla battery) is currently for sale on the Internet for $4,999 not including shipping or installation. The battery weighs 1,000 pounds (you can imagine the shipping cost). The cost of Tesla batteries are:

Model 3 -- $14,000+ (Car MSRP $38,990)
Model Y -- $5,000–$5,500 (Car MSRP $47,740)
Model S -- $13,000–$20,000 (Car MSRP $74,990)
Model X -- $13,000+ (Car MSRP $79,990)

It takes 7 years for an electric car to reach net-zero CO2. The life expectancy of the battery is 10 years (average). Only in the last 3 years do you start to reduce your carbon footprint, but then the batteries must be replaced and you lose all gains made.

And finally, my new friend, Michael, made some excellent points: I forgot to mention the amount of energy required to process the raw materials and the amount of energy used to haul these batteries to the U.S. sometimes back and forth a couple of times.

But by all means, get an electric car. Just don't sell me on how awesome you are for the environment. Or for human rights.

FB_IMG_1714030103160.jpg

I presume the process of getting the raw materials is the same for the batteries used in modern cordless tools etc, where i am on the old wheal Vor mining area up the valley from Porthlevan there are, hidden behind hay bale walls to hide them many little drilling rigs taking samples to assertain how much lithium and other minerals are there, if it is economic to get them out then there will be compulsary purchases etc,
'in the national interest' is being cited as the reason for destroying the area,

LMFAO 🤣
Tesla’s Cybertruck, touted for its rugged design, faced a bizarre setback at a car wash. After the wash, the 6,600-pound truck shut down, rendering its console blank and transforming it into a giant metal brick.
Despite its intended off-road prowess, the vehicle struggled with mundane tasks. Tesla advises against washing the truck in direct sunlight to prevent corrosion, and offers a special “Car Wash Mode.”
“Failure to put Cybertruck in Car Wash Mode may result in damage,” the company’s manual reads. “Damage caused by car washes is not covered by the warranty.”

IMG_3486.jpeg

It’s an interesting and scary thought about the cost of EV batteries.

Are the batteries less likely to suddenly die (as a starter battery can do ) because they are lots of “little batteries “ or will one dead battery mean the whole tray will not work.

I’m just thinking out loud really having had a starter (and leisure) battery go from ok to dead seemingly overnight .

Id assume yes I've had battery tools,where one cell dies the whole lot go out ! Cars should have batteries that can be repaired,cells made the same so they fit all brands. Ideally a separate company makes them for all,but like everything zero environmentally friendly how it is.
It's ridiculous when you get irreplaceable things,all because the company went bust.

I would guess that EV batteries are a bit more durable than a car battery which has only six cells so if one goes bad...
Whereas an EV battery has hundreds so a few duff ones just bring down the capacity and range.
Had a thought what is the oldest EV car still going? - googled it but could not find any answers.
There are hundreds of veteran [petrol] cars still chugging about in the summer, I am always amazed when I see clips of the London to Brighton.

Id assume yes I've had battery tools,where one cell dies the whole lot go out ! Cars should have batteries that can be repaired,cells made the same so they fit all brands. Ideally a separate company makes them for all,but like everything zero environmentally friendly how it is.
It's ridiculous when you get irreplaceable things,all because the company went bust.
They government should extend the right-to-repair act to motor vehicles. That would stir the feckers up...

Back
Top Bottom