• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Underpowered Diesel and Injector Pump Queries

Looking at the perished rubber hose and jubilee clips holding the fuel line together, it needs to be re done properly.
If it was petrol it would be a serious fire risk.
Before looking touching the fuel pump, you're first move should be to remake all the fuel line with correct connectors and a minimal number of joints.
Your pics show it is a 5 bearing 2.25 so its worth sorting.. It just needs an air tight fuel supply. Banjo fittings are terrible for leaking, I'd replace with proper cone union fittings.
Loose the banjo fittings where you can and re-anneal the copper washers where you can't.

Last edited:
Well if that is the amount of fuel leaking out overnight ..it is not a wonder that it needs to be bled in the mornings .. .. so run it up to get rid of any air in the system .. switch it off and then clean/dry every pipe and connector and leave over night .. then search for the damp patch on pipe work and connections .. yes it is a tedious job and bloody frustrating .. but with time you will find the source of the actual leak .. keep going ..you will find the fault ...
Evening all, carried out this process today. Rebleeding, cleaning up as much as I could that came from the bleed process, running the engine and searching for the leak.

1000016448.jpg

It seems to be coming from the base of the large rectangular cover on the injector pump. This photo was taken a couple of hours after running the engine and doing the paper test and you can see the wetness in this area (and drop of fuel on the end of the banjo fitting below). While running the engine I could hold a piece of kitchen roll in the gap above the banjo and below the cover, within 20 seconds the kitchen roll would be wet against where that seal is. I did have a feel around with the kitchen roll higher up the pump, but wasn't seeing any significant wetness anywhere above this point.

The only other slight weeping was coming from the plastic return lines on top of the fuel injectors. They looked quite old so I'll probably look into replacing them and some of the other old piping, however they couldn't be the source of the leak at the base of the injector pump.

On this basis is it now worth pulling the injector pump and either resealing it myself or taking it somewhere that knows about these things? What do people think the next steps are in this issue?

Thanks for the help once again,
Mike

Ive been surprised at how far a leak can travel giving a completely false idea of where it originates!

It may well not be the return lines, but I would be replacing those first before pulling the FIP, just in case.

The rectangular cover that's likely weeping is held in place by two Acorn nuts. The pic shows the Gasket looking pretty fresh, so it might be worth checking the tightness of these nuts, giving them a nip up.
However the usual leak culprits are the Throttle/Stop Shaft seals that pass through the Rectangular Governor cover. These leak and show up exactly like yours is..
The Throttle/Stop shaft seals that pass through the rectangular cover tend wear and degrade quickly, they then leak like you're showing..
The normal Black Nitrile Seals do wear and degrade quite quickly, so I opted for the more resilient Green Viton Seals. These have lasted very well.
While the CAV DPA pump is simple to work on, knowing how best to tackle the job makes all the difference.. Watch some videos, look at Sandy's link and you can go DIY..
Or get a quote, and have the pump resealed and fully tested.
The CAV DPA Pumps are usually very reliable, if you stop the leaks..
But Injection timing makes the biggest difference to performance!!!!
Below the injection pump is a Bronze Bush that supports the Pump Drive 'Skew gear'. This wears and retards the injection timing beyond the adjustment levels available.
So it might be worth changing... Plus Timing Chain wear... So replacing the lot will make a difference.

I watched the videos and re-sealed mine. Its quite straightforward, you just need a clean work area and patience. One the pump is on the bench is probably only an hour or two's work max.

Evening all, carried out this process today. Rebleeding, cleaning up as much as I could that came from the bleed process, running the engine and searching for the leak.

View attachment 531331
It seems to be coming from the base of the large rectangular cover on the injector pump. This photo was taken a couple of hours after running the engine and doing the paper test and you can see the wetness in this area (and drop of fuel on the end of the banjo fitting below). While running the engine I could hold a piece of kitchen roll in the gap above the banjo and below the cover, within 20 seconds the kitchen roll would be wet against where that seal is. I did have a feel around with the kitchen roll higher up the pump, but wasn't seeing any significant wetness anywhere above this point.

The only other slight weeping was coming from the plastic return lines on top of the fuel injectors. They looked quite old so I'll probably look into replacing them and some of the other old piping, however they couldn't be the source of the leak at the base of the injector pump.

On this basis is it now worth pulling the injector pump and either resealing it myself or taking it somewhere that knows about these things? What do people think the next steps are in this issue?

Thanks for the help once again,
Mike
As long as you are sure it is coming from the cover and not a process of fuel being absorbed onto the tissue from lower down .. ie the paper gets wet from top to bottom .. and not the other way ... give the bolts screws what ever . keeps the top cover in place a little bit of tightening .. who knows it might work .. if not it is pump off time .. but before you go there ..be 100% certain the leak is off the cover .. and not from further up and making it,s way down ..or even up ... or even bloody side wards off a pipe connector ... .. diesel fuel has a mind of it,s own .. you can not see it but you know it is leaking ...arrhhh ..

Back
Top Bottom