• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

What did you do to your Defender today?

Ive put my name down for one of these when they are back in stock (gulp);

Im not looking for more overall power, just a wider spread.
I replaced the core in my original turbo a couple of years ago with a hybrid core that was supposed to give a biggish improvement and it was (I think) slightly better.
I thought at the time it was spooling up a bit faster, but I still feel like I would like the power to come in a bit earlier.
I have a couple of VGT turbos that I salvaged and was going to build one up and adapt the exhaust etc etc, but I'll never get a round tuit so giving in and shelling out.

If this doesnt help then I give up.
I know exactly what you mean. I have done the same thing with Miffy. Swapping the CHRA in the turbo for a "hybrid-ish" one (basically a billet turbine and ball bearings) has made a difference, it does spool up quicker actually much quicker but as the housings are the same as standard all you get is the standard but quicker. It also makes a much more audible turbo whistle than the standard CHRA. I have been and still am sorely tempted to fit a VGTurbo to Miffy for over all drivability. Or at least that is what fitting a VGTurbo would mean. I would dearly love to try a TD5 with a VGTurbo to see mind you.

Ahhh and then I do really miss my old 200tdi, now that thing was superb, what a lovely engine beautifully tuned and as reliable as you possibly want. I wonder what it would have been like with a VGTurbo...

As with you I am looking for drivability and reliability, not a World speed record...

Back
Top Bottom