• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

What did you do to your Defender today?

Well yesterday I made a cab/tub separator out of plywood and stained it for my 90 rag top, hopefully it will warm up in the cab a bit quicker when it's minus 5 outside.

And here are a couple of pictures of the very nearly finished bit of wood.............in all cost me about 9 quid for paint and some time :cool::cool:
inside 1.jpeg
inside 2.jpeg

I'll not be fitting it for a few weeks but the alisport air intake kit arrived..
I've got the one that is the low level entry.. Ie along the route the standard air intake duct takes.. The high level pipe isn't an option for me as I have the vacuum tank on the wing top where the intake pipe would have to run..
Anyhow a nice looking bit kit.. 👍
I also asked them to send me a cleanable ITG filter, but it does come as standard with a paper element filter..
They have made a few tweeks since the first ones were talked about ans there is now a reducer that fits between air box and intake hose from wing..
20240312_170446.jpg

I'll not be fitting it for a few weeks but the alisport air intake kit arrived..
I've got the one that is the low level entry.. Ie along the route the standard air intake duct takes.. The high level pipe isn't an option for me as I have the vacuum tank on the wing top where the intake pipe would have to run..
Anyhow a nice looking bit kit.. 👍
I also asked them to send me a cleanable ITG filter, but it does come as standard with a paper element filter..
They have made a few tweeks since the first ones were talked about ans there is now a reducer that fits between air box and intake hose from wing..
View attachment 525372
At first glance I thought that was a dead rat lying across that tin of wurth🙄 sorry!!! do like the air breather, can't beat that allisport clobber, really really well made

Today I amused myself putting in a couple more signal wires from the engine coolant and air intake sensors into the battery compartment so that I can connect the scope whilst driving and makes checking things a lot easier than backprobing every time tou want to play👍😊
20240313_140255.jpg

20240313_140317.jpg

Then took it for a quick spin to see that all worked..
I set the scope to record about 20 mins but was only away for just over half that..
The coolant is in blue the air intake in red..
The traces are a bit wide... I think that's because the sample rate is so high.. Unless you are at this all the time I forgot how to reduce the sample rate, but none the less you get a good idea of what's going on.. They are both negative temp coefficient sensors..
I suspect the kinks in the coolant trace is the thermostat starting to do something...
And the air intake shows the various speeds.. As you pick up speed the temp drops and when travelling slowly there is less cooling from the intercooler👍
The traces themselves are obviously just voltage traces but if you run something like torque at the same time you can relate a voltage with a specific temp
20240313_135437.jpg

Picked up a few things this morning including a floor standing drill press which is a little more powerful than my old bench mounted one, then fitted the front bar to line up the ends ready for welding and fabricating

Attachments

• 20240316_154220.jpg
    20240316_154220.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240316_154201.jpg
    20240316_154201.jpg
    512.9 KB · Views: 27
Painted a hinge and a bit of checker plate. Fixed the speedometer. Tightened up the wing mirror that'd started to flop around, Found one end of the broken wiring for the reversing light. Can't find the empty connection next to another bit of broken wiring. Still not been able to track down why the battery doesn't appear to be charging. Not that the voltage in the battery has noticeably dropped in the past few weeks. I hates electrickery... 😒

Today I amused myself putting in a couple more signal wires from the engine coolant and air intake sensors into the battery compartment so that I can connect the scope whilst driving and makes checking things a lot easier than backprobing every time tou want to play👍😊
View attachment 525436

View attachment 525437

Then took it for a quick spin to see that all worked..
I set the scope to record about 20 mins but was only away for just over half that..
The coolant is in blue the air intake in red..
The traces are a bit wide... I think that's because the sample rate is so high.. Unless you are at this all the time I forgot how to reduce the sample rate, but none the less you get a good idea of what's going on.. They are both negative temp coefficient sensors..
I suspect the kinks in the coolant trace is the thermostat starting to do something...
And the air intake shows the various speeds.. As you pick up speed the temp drops and when travelling slowly there is less cooling from the intercooler👍
The traces themselves are obviously just voltage traces but if you run something like torque at the same time you can relate a voltage with a specific temp
View attachment 525438
cut and paste those beautiful lines onto a canvas ! 10 yrs - with a fortune !

Given that there's a What did you do to your series today? and a What did you do to your Disco today? thread, it seems a bit strange there isn't a Defender equivalent that I could find so here goes;

I did an engine oil change - Castrol Magnatec 10W/40 (and Forte engine flush!) came out to be replaced with Mobil Super 3000 X1 5W-40. I've only ever used Castrol Magnatec (or its equivalent Castrol predecessors) up until now so a change to fully synthetic is a bit of an experiment. I used a Genuine Parts filter from Turner Engineering as they are ridiculously cheap (£5.94).

I also drained the main gearbox - MTF94 out and fresh MTF94 back in.

On starting the engine it was noticeably quieter with less clatter. It will be interesting to see what it's like when it's much colder.

What did you do to your Defender today?

Sarah :)
well, my first defender job! the A frame cv joint, took 3 hours and probably 20 mins of that was on the split pin!
the knock problem is solved now so onto the next job.....
chris.

Ive been putting off changing the rear drive flanges for months waiting for weather etc.
When I swapped the rear drums to disks I omitted to order new HD flanges so I fitted the standard ones.
Ive had the HD ones for ages so rather rashly decided today was going to be the day to fit them, and rotate the wheels, which obviously entails lifting the spares off and on the rear carrier and the bonnet...
I may need to visit a chiropractor tomorrow...

Look pretty though...

IMG_6597.JPG

Ive been putting off changing the rear drive flanges for months waiting for weather etc.
When I swapped the rear drums to disks I omitted to order new HD flanges so I fitted the standard ones.
Ive had the HD ones for ages so rather rashly decided today was going to be the day to fit them, and rotate the wheels, which obviously entails lifting the spares off and on the rear carrier and the bonnet...
I may need to visit a chiropractor tomorrow...

Look pretty though...

View attachment 526348
Are the one piece shafts an alternative option to the drive flanges you have..??

On the spare wheel removal and fitting I feel your pain.. I struggle with mine😩

Back
Top Bottom