• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

What did you do to your Defender today?

There two different ones here

Attachments

• 20230916_170327.jpg
    20230916_170327.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 28
This one here says for the rear of the block so for the sake of £4 I shall order one I think …I watched a video of a guy putting one in he used a large socket and tapped it in ..what’s your opinion mate .
IMG_3558.jpeg

Yeah thats OK mate, if that's the one, but with the issue of just water and no protection in the engine against rust you might end up with another situation along the same line, I'm not telling you how to spend your money, but over the years with these sodding land rovers I've found is to have stock of odds and sods to get you out of the pony, clean it all with emery cloth, absolutely no files or coarse material anywhere near it, and don't use a socket that fits it perfectly, the idea is to let the outside edge of the plug to fold in and close the gap, basically 2mm smaller all round but as said earlier square and true is of the utmost importance, don't fuck it up if you only order one, if you score it in anyway it'll be bolloxed as they are very soft metal as metal goes

Mate mate mate, to be honest the fella in the photo runs 35s and was given a i:6 ratio reputed to be all in good order and ready to go, but a little bit of end play in the rear output shaft, and backlash not the best, having removed his 1:4 curiosity (killed the sodding cat) said just remove the 1:4 output shaft and see what that was about, no movement, Nada, nixies sod all movement, backlash perfect so IS the 1:6 any good, I have a 1:2 here completely refurbished, we'll have a quick butchers at that, loads of play in the bearing backlash good, and now there's me thinking I've been diddled, I HOPE YOUR PAYING ATTENTION HERE, YOU DID ASK, I have a knackered 1:4 that after all the aforementioned tests worked out better than my refurbished 1:2, I was on my way round to the fella that sold me the 1:2, I'll try not to bore you anymore, at one point we had 7 on the bench all different backlash and different end floats it looked like something out of I robot, that bit in the film when they are stood in line, just one of them is dodgy, you just dont know which one, you know the bit, to the point I think this photo was close to midnight and all completely confused, we went our ways, the upshot was we put his new but unsure 1:6 in on Sunday morning throwing caution to the wind and it worked perfectly, no rattles and all good, so basically the moral of this story (if there is one) don't listen to Ashcroft, throw it in and hope, we're still buggered if we actually learned anything from our day other than I'm still not sure if my refurbished 1:2 is any good, YOU DID ASK

Tried today to buy a core plug or a box of assorted ones would have done ..but no can’t get them anywhere.went to the usual suspects and one didn’t know what I was on about ,alfords offered me spark plugs n glow plugs to order .er no 😒..only place I found had 2 x 23mm ones .at least he knew what I was talking about .

On the subject what do I put around them as a gasket type thing .some kinda silicon ? Thanks chaps .

Dont use silicone.
It could squidge into the coolant and end up in your pump etc. Id use gasket sealant, hylomar or similar, or nothing!
They should seal on their own if the surfaces are clean...

Dont use silicone.
It could squidge into the coolant and end up in your pump etc. Id use gasket sealant, hylomar or similar, or nothing!
They should seal on their own if the surfaces are clean...
Ok thankyou just curious I did look at some gasket cement as they called it but was £12 odd ..bloody hell nothing is cheap anymore..

Back
Top Bottom