• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

What did you do to your Defender today?

Still welding the chassis repairs on my 90, only have to remove the rear axle then check behing the shock mounts for holes.
Once they're done its just turn it over and do the return welds and check for anymore holes, then i'll Raptor it.

Last edited:
Picking up momentum now with the Defender. We've decided to take her camping for the Easter weekend, so the goal is to get as much done before then as possible. Setting a trip date has worked great as instead of dawdling we're working towards a goal. To that end, here's what we've done/ in the middle of doing:
  • Refitted the A Pillar grab handles. Cut the screws down to proper length and put them back in place, much more secure. I do intend on replacing the screws with something more substantial in the future, they feel very cheap.
  • Tested the air mattress in the back for the bed set up, worked well. We have an old memory foam topper to put over the air mattress to make it a bit more comfortable to sleep on.
  • The other half is in the middle of sewing some curtains for the bulkhead and the back window to block some light and give privacy. Made from some blankets and sheets from the charity shop, nice and cheap. Working on how to hang and secure them in place, thinking either hung on a wire, or velcroed up.
  • Bought some closed cell foam foil backed insulation during the week, started fitting that today. First few bits went up ok, learned a lot so the rest will be easier tomorrow. Looking good so far anyway.
  • Bought some supplies, and bits & bobs for the trip (frying pan, camping stove, etc). Pulled some boxes out of the attic to use as storage during the trip.
  • Replaced the rear door card with a piece of 6mm MDF. Looks a lot better already, but needs to be painted and secured properly.
  • Still haven't fit the drivers side folding step.
To do:
  • Fit the rest of the insulation.
  • Fit the curtains.
  • Sort out some form of water storage so we don't have to keep buying bottles all weekend.
  • Make a fold down table for the rear door for cooking etc on. Bought the pieces today to make it (½" ply, aluminium sheet to cover, hinges, etc).
  • Take her for a few spins before the weekend to make sure all is well.
  • Pack boxes and make sure they all fit in somewhere.
  • Put the spare tyre back on the bonnet.
  • Phone holder on the windscreen for maps.
  • Maybe tint the back window before we go, but I don't know if I want to risk breaking the glass getting it out a week before out trip.
Painting the arches and trim gloss black is put on hold until warmer/ drier weather. It'll go easier if I'm not dodging rain and wind to get it all sprayed. It does look good so far though, even with just the one uneven coat.

A last fit to check the hoops before fully welding them

Attachments

• 20240325_163150.jpg
    20240325_163150.jpg
    469.4 KB · Views: 41
Well I'm home from Ireland for a spell...
I had intended to fit a coolant low level alarm.. But weather had the final say..
I still got wet but most of the work was inside the back..
Over a year ago I acquired a shelf but never got round to fitting it as initial look indicated it wasn't quite plug and play..
Its been lying outside since and have to say I'm impressed it's still a nice black👍😂..
Well it's sorted.. Not as bad as I had thought but still had to fettle a few bits..
Remarkably sturdy.. And should be easily removed if I ever need the rear seats..
20240325_132939.jpg

20240325_132958.jpg

Well I'm home from Ireland for a spell...
I had intended to fit a coolant low level alarm.. But weather had the final say..
I still got wet but most of the work was inside the back..
Over a year ago I acquired a shelf but never got round to fitting it as initial look indicated it wasn't quite plug and play..
Its been lying outside since and have to say I'm impressed it's still a nice black👍😂..
Well it's sorted.. Not as bad as I had thought but still had to fettle a few bits..
Remarkably sturdy.. And should be easily removed if I ever need the rear seats..
View attachment 526665

View attachment 526666
Looks a neat addition..what’s the blue box to the left of the first picture…..im being nosey .🤭

Looks a neat addition..what’s the blue box to the left of the first picture…..im being nosey .🤭
The shelf will be handy I think.. But it does rull out the use of the rear seats, or I think it will.. On a better day I'll see exactly what it like with the rear seats up..
The blue box is an inverter.. Honestly I'm not a fan of inverters, but have that one from my motorhome days.. Its a pure sine wave and rated at 800w.. But it will deal with start up loads which are much higher.. 👍

The shelf will be handy I think.. But it does rull out the use of the rear seats, or I think it will.. On a better day I'll see exactly what it like with the rear seats up..
The blue box is an inverter.. Honestly I'm not a fan of inverters, but have that one from my motorhome days.. Its a pure sine wave and rated at 800w.. But it will deal with start up loads which are much higher.. 👍
Start up loads as in engine or appliances ? 😒 why do I keep thinking you have a 90 ..it’s a 110

Went out to put some fresh water in today as I have to move it the neighbours are moaning .”thats another story”

Anyway puts the water in ok to start with then it decides to come out the side of block 😳 a bit of investigation and I have a core plug popped just behind the starter motor ..oh dear 🙄 long time since I did one of these is it just a case of tapping one in on these .thanks people 👍
IMG_3555.jpeg

Went out to put some fresh water in today as I have to move it the neighbours are moaning .”thats another story”

Anyway puts the water in ok to start with then it decides to come out the side of block 😳 a bit of investigation and I have a core plug popped just behind the starter motor ..oh dear 🙄 long time since I did one of these is it just a case of tapping one in on these .thanks people 👍View attachment 526685
Also are the plugs all the same size for a 200 tdi when ordering ..

There's different sizes fella, just it'll be easier to order a kit as opposed to finding the one you want, I bought mine and only ever used one of them and that was on a mates block, the rest have sat there forever, I've used the smaller ones over the years to press UJs in on propshafts, I think it's with them it's just handier to have a bag full of them there in stock than having to wait 3 days for the sodding postman to turn up for a half hour job

Anyway puts the water in ok to start with then it decides to come out the side of block 😳 a bit of investigation and I have a core plug popped just behind the starter motor ..oh dear 🙄 long time since I did one of these is it just a case of tapping one in on these .thanks people 👍View attachment 526685
is the water coming out the small hole seen in the picture above... I remember core plugs as been bit bigger than that ???
edit... and what's caused the plug to pop.. normally it takes a bit once they have been in for a while

I thought the core plugs in the block(s) were all the same..?

It could have popped out from frost, but more likely its rusted a pinhole...

is the water coming out the small hole seen in the picture above... I remember core plugs as been bit bigger than that ???
edit... and what's caused the plug to pop.. normally it takes a bit once they have been in for a while

Yep, had another look, a small drip, is that the bit I'm looking at, didn't you have some issues in winter with lack of anti freeze, I seem to remember something like that?
I’ve coloured the part it’s coming from …when we had the frozen weather I forgot I had no anti freeze in the engine .as you do 🙄 so i presume the consequences is the plug has come out .
IMG_3557.jpeg

I thought the core plugs in the block(s) were all the same..?

It could have popped out from frost, but more likely its rusted a pinhole...
That's what I'm thinking, a tiny hole, probably rusted through maybe from lack of use, or no rust protection inside.

On the other bit, I got a full set of plugs here, there's a few different sizes, I've only once had to use one as stated before

Back
Top Bottom