• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

What did you do to your Defender today?

Tried today to buy a core plug or a box of assorted ones would have done ..but no can’t get them anywhere.went to the usual suspects and one didn’t know what I was on about ,alfords offered me spark plugs n glow plugs to order .er no 😒..only place I found had 2 x 23mm ones .at least he knew what I was talking about .

On the subject what do I put around them as a gasket type thing .some kinda silicon ? Thanks chaps .
Box of assorted core plugs you say?

But if you know what size you need probably way cheaper ordering the one.

I had to replace a core plug on my MF35 but they were a different style. You had to hit them with a hammer to dish them and lock them into position. Had a slight weep from it but smeared a little gasket paste around the outside and it seems to have held.

Same as on an old Ford 4000, that wept a little after putting one in, I think what we have to remember is way back in the 50s and 60s when everything blew a core plug at the drop of an hat there was no silicone paste, wattle and daub maybe but nothing synthetic

If you try DLS, Rimmer brothers or any other of the leading agents they'll get them to you within 24 hours usually, it's going to be a Britpart bit but I think it about the only time Britpart will get away with it being shit metal, it's supposed to be soft to mould

If you follow the link I posted yesterday there is a list of suppliers and their prices.

(You still might get it faster from Ebay though)

I finally got the soft top fitted.

1000046586.jpg

I see these rather annoying that you have to buy 5 minimum…god I’m hard to please .🙄 thanks hood
You can always use the part number to search other sites. Or just use the LR workshop page mikeau posted.

I finally got the soft top fitted.

View attachment 526831
Are those genuine 130 (6.5 inch) rims? Or just banded to make then wider? Or the 8 inch Britpart rims?
Also is that a flexible tailgate hinge system? The type that let's you open it like a door? Be interested to know your thoughts on that.

They are 16x8 ANR Classics with 255/85 Toyo M/Ts, I'm very happy with them, the Toyos are surprising good on the road.

Yeah, it's a Purely Metal rear hinge that tilts/turns, it works well. The only issue I have with it is when replacing the pin in the bottom left hinge, it can be a bit tricky to get in. But I think that's down to the shocking state of my rear cross member and all the repairs it's had making it not align properly.

The colour is Fiat 500 Cappuccino Beige 😂. The previous owner did that but I like it.

Yeah, it's a Purely Metal rear hinge that tilts/turns, it works well. The only issue I have with it is when replacing the pin in the bottom left hinge, it can be a bit tricky to get in. But I think that's down to the shocking state of my rear cross member and all the repairs it's had making it not align properly.
Kind of considering one myself as I also have a soft top but want to keep a more original look than a half door. I thought I could see a couple patches on the crossmember. 😅

Back
Top Bottom