• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

What did you do to your Defender today?

Tday I mostly changed gear box oil after deliberation on what to put it ( cheers Rustee), then started fitting new mud flaps , front went on no problem , rear passenger 🤬,bolts fastening brackets on just spinning ,no way to get into stop them , ant ideas

What is it a captive nut on the bracket? Is there any way you can lever the bolt head away so you pull the fastening bracket into the body to stop it rotating while you tighten the bolt? Or the nut, whichever way round it is.

What is it a captive nut on the bracket? Is there any way you can lever the bolt head away so you pull the fastening bracket into the body to stop it rotating while you tighten the bolt? Or the nut, whichever way round it is.
Tried to lever away didn’t help, got them loose and thought they would come off fine ,then grief started , thinking may have to cut the heads off some how ,but it’s a tight space ,then will have nuts ratting around 😖

Tday I mostly changed gear box oil after deliberation on what to put it ( cheers Rustee), then started fitting new mud flaps , front went on no problem , rear passenger 🤬,bolts fastening brackets on just spinning ,no way to get into stop them , ant ideas
I'm assuming you are on about the bracket fastening on the box section of the chassis.. On mine it was a riv nut type fastening which I think I managed to get a pair of long nose moles on it through a large hole which is close to the faster.. I tried to put a new riv nut in but in the end just put a long drill through the chassis and use a long nut and bolt to secure the bracket now..
Much better and when I get round to it I'll do the same on the other side..

I'm assuming you are on about the bracket fastening on the box section of the chassis.. On mine it was a riv nut type fastening which I think I managed to get a pair of long nose moles on it through a large hole which is close to the faster.. I tried to put a new riv nut in but in the end just put a long drill through the chassis and use a long nut and bolt to secure the bracket now..
Much better and when I get round to it I'll do the same on the other side..
Cheers , defo bolt/ nut , run outa steam at moment , so going to crack on tmoz ,just a ball ache , something so easy to be a pain in the arse ,but hey it’s a Landrover 😂😂, sorry yes it the bracket fasterning to the box section 👍

Cheers , defo bolt/ nut , run outa steam at moment , so going to crack on tmoz ,just a ball ache , something so easy to be a pain in the arse ,but hey it’s a Landrover 😂😂, sorry yes it the bracket fasterning to the box section 👍
Spot on.. A right pita 👍🤣

My passenger rear btacket tore a bit of the alloy outer panel away as well wt some point.. I had to rivit a piece of alloy angle back into the panel and Re drill a hole for the mudflap bolt..

And during the last couple of weeks I made myself a coffin shaped mechanics creeper/crawling board with bigger wheels for our outside rough concrete, worked a treat when doing my pipe, just need to drive the truck onto blocks of timber to lift it up a few inches

Attachments

• 20240407_114506.jpg
    20240407_114506.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 28
New parts arrived for the 'to be fitted soon' pile

1. Rear heated screen glass (finally gave up trying to repair the old one which has so much of the metal element missing it was simply not feasible to re-paint them and get a good circuit
2. New rubber for the window (TD5 one with the rubber seal and the curved corners)
3. 2mm Paracord (for fitting the rubber)
4. LED Reversing light (Wipac)
5. LED Fog light (Wipac)

Fingers crossed I get time to do it soon - might need to borrow someone to press on the glass, but have wifes son already warmed up to it

Any advice welcome :)

Sds drill bits so I can finally get these frikin mud flaps on rear 🤬as I’ve burnt out the rechargeable drill on the bloody things, and I’ve put this on wrong thread ffs 😖😖😖🧨,one of those days ,sorry

Last edited:
Sds drill bits so I can finally get these frikin mud flaps on rear 🤬as I’ve burnt out the rechargeable drill on the bloody things, and I’ve put this on wrong thread ffs 😖😖😖🧨,one of those days ,sorry
What are you trying to drill🤔
Your drill bits are either not hss or they are blunt possibly with no clearance angle and therefore just rubbing..
Sds is more commonly used for masonry.. I don't even know if you can get hss bits for metal with sds shanks.
Invest in some decent hss bits👍and there won't be much on a landy you can't drill👍🤣.. Start small hole where you can then use a larger drill, 👍

Your drill bits are either not hss or they are blunt possibly with no clearance angle and therefore just rubbing..
Sds is more commonly used for masonry.. I don't even know if you can get hss bits for metal with sds shanks.
Invest in some decent hss bits👍and there won't be much on a landy you can't drill👍🤣.. Start small hole where you can then use a larger drill, 👍
Yep you can get sds drill bits for metal , wasn’t the drill bits tat gave it was the drill , the other drill is sds big feker ,no buying another dtill , so went down road of new drill bits for beast , but thanks for advice 👍

Yep you can get sds drill bits for metal , wasn’t the drill bits tat gave it was the drill , the other drill is sds big feker ,no buying another dtill , so went down road of new drill bits for beast , but thanks for advice 👍
That's good.. I had no idea that you could get normal twist drills for metal with sds shanks👍..

These are drill bits I was using IMG_1344.png

Back
Top Bottom