• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

What did you do to your Defender today?

What are you trying to drill🤔
Your drill bits are either not hss or they are blunt possibly with no clearance angle and therefore just rubbing..
Sds is more commonly used for masonry.. I don't even know if you can get hss bits for metal with sds shanks.
Invest in some decent hss bits👍and there won't be much on a landy you can't drill👍🤣.. Start small hole where you can then use a larger drill, 👍
Always good to hole punch where your centre is - assuming it's not a flimsy panel, in which case go carefully (like with your pilot drill) and support the back of the panel with a bit of wood to stop panel distortion. Unless those with more experience says this is overkill.

Might be worthwhile getting a chuck for the drill

Attachments

• 2672400s_53.jpg
    2672400s_53.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 17
Always good to hole punch where your centre is - assuming it's not a flimsy panel, in which case go carefully (like with your pilot drill) and support the back of the panel with a bit of wood to stop panel distortion. Unless those with more experience says this is overkill.
Centre punch is good👍, but some of the modern methods of sharpening a drill do away with the traditional chisel edge and form a point which means the drill will start to cut more easily without a punch mark👍

There's techniques for drilling,so you don't burn out the drill. I always do short bursts,as I'm cutting through. I don't constantly drill for ages,let the bits & drill cool down. Even having a cup of water to dip bits in,helps a lot rather than knackering everything.
All tools have working cycles,time on & time to cool down. Carry on beyond & you'll burn even the best out.

Welded a patch on the 300tdi's rear door frame and took it for its warrant of fitness. Unpacked all the parcels that arrived while I was away, leather dash cover has finally arrived, snow chains, side awning and awning tent, NAS taillights for the 300tdi. Swapped the roofrack from the 300tdi to the v8 and put the car cover over the v8 as I will be away for the next two months.

Welded a patch on the 300tdi's rear door frame and took it for its warrant of fitness. Unpacked all the parcels that arrived while I was away, leather dash cover has finally arrived, snow chains, side awning and awning tent, NAS taillights for the 300tdi. Swapped the roofrack from the 300tdi to the v8 and put the car cover over the v8 as I will be away for the next two months.
Busy busy..and santa has called But I take it work is getting in the way🙈😩🤣..
I'm heading for Ireland again so my jobs will have to wait for a bit.. Might get some playing around with the scope to keep me occupied👍

I'm hoping the wind and rain will help give mine a clean (hopefully not too much water ingress - some chance!) while it sits in dock. Fine job there on the spit and polish @mikeau .

I took Clyde down to Inverness to pick up youngest who volunteered to house sit while Clyde took us up to Shetland a couple of days later with the aid of a few ferries.

I did all I needed to do in Inverness, picked up the lad and called in for a quick bite before hitting the road. We came out and went to fire Clyde up and could only ignition on, no blast off!

Fiddled for a bit and correctly determined that the barrel had died within and jammed the firing pin! Frustrated that we couldn't figure how to hot wire it we had to wait for hours until we could get it lifted back to Thurso.

New barrel on order and we've had to take a hire car to Shetland 😞 as we were mostly visiting farms and crofts it was a pity we couldn't take Clyde!

We'll fit the new barrel in for the return drop to the airport next week.

How do you hot wire a 1994 300TDi?

Back
Top Bottom