• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

What did you do to your Series today?

If i have read this right ... new valves and seats and a skim . mmm let me think would the valve clearances need resetting ..:rofl: before i started it up .. ..even if you just wanted to hear it run .. you must set the clearances .. you could get away with it near enough if you had just changed the gasket .. but changing those other parts threw every thing out .. i wonder how many tight tappets you will find .. so plugs out and set those tappets ... you know you have too .. have fun ....and once they are right if it is still running like a dog then look for air leaks.. either inlet manifold gasket or carb area vac pipe etc..
Yes I think I knew I was chancing my arm there trying to get it running for a minute without setting them. Over keen! Will do the tappets later this week.

Yes I think I knew I was chancing my arm there trying to get it running for a minute without setting them. Over keen! Will do the tappets later this week.
I think we have all been there ... but the good news is it starts .. hopefully no water leaks .. i would have said no oil leaks as well .. but it is a landy and you would not want to waste that new oil you have put in .. (you would be amazed how many people do not do an oil and filter change after taking the head off ...)

Yes, one has to tread carefully, even with Blanchard, and make sure that the PN has a G after it. I saw an NOS choke cable on eBay the other day, but dug deeper and asked; turned out it wasn't NOS genuine but NOS Britpart! Suppose BP have been around long enough to pinch NOS credibility.
They are probably too embarrassed to admit it!
I bought a "genuine" throttle cable the other day from Ebay, turns out it was a Britpart.

It's probably better to ditch the box and say they are unbranded! ;)

More of the same: today I replaced the wonky repro 345435, bought when I was an innocent 3 years ago, with a BL, Made in the UK, wrapped in blue paper genuine article.

The repro - called a Premium Part - came from Famous Four but could have been made in China and sold by any UK supplier.

Notice that it has a G after the part number, suggesting (falsely) that it has genuine LR validity. Notice also that it costs £16.74 inc. VAT + delivery and that by comparison I paid £17.50 inc. delivery for the genuine BL article.

Construction comparison is telling: the repro hasn't bothered to take a mould from.a genuine, but settled for enough detail to make it look reasonably similar. The rotation of the repro lock was always weak, the genuine direct and solid.

Genuine on left and top, locked and unlocked.
20240422_211631.jpg
20240422_214802.jpg

Notice the spot welds that hold the repro tube in position (right) and the crack appearing at the joint after 2-3 years.
20240422_214856.jpg
20240422_214915.jpg

Last edited:
More of the same: today I replaced the wonky repro 345435, bought when I was an innocent 3 years ago, with a BL, Made in the UK, wrapped in blue paper genuine article.

The repro - called a Premium Part - came from Famous Four but could have been made in China and sold by any UK supplier.

Notice that it has a G after the part number, suggesting (falsely) that it has genuine LR validity. Notice also that it costs £16.74 inc. VAT + delivery and that by comparison I paid £17.50 inc. delivery for the genuine BL article.

Construction comparison is telling: the repro hasn't bothered to take a mould from.a genuine, but settled for enough detail to make it look reasonably similar. The rotation of the repro lock was always weak, the genuine direct and solid.

Genuine on left and top, locked and unlocked.
View attachment 529882View attachment 529883

Notice the spot welds that hold the repro tube in position (right) and the crack appearing at the joint after 2-3 years.
View attachment 529884View attachment 529885
Thanks for the great write-up. If that's a Premium Part I'd hate to see what their budget line looks like. 😁
I noticed their website says "Equivalent to" part# 345436G, which is a bit slippery. Maybe not quite slimey but slippery for certain. It should probably read "Visually similar from across the room to"

Thanks for the great write-up. If that's a Premium Part I'd hate to see what their budget line looks like. 😁
I noticed their website says "Equivalent to" part# 345436G, which is a bit slippery. Maybe not quite slimey but slippery for certain. It should probably read "Visually similar from across the room to"
It really is a shame .. they can copy an original part exactly if they so wished.. they could even make the part better .. but no.. ... they just make it look like the original make it of a lower quality .. and we have to suck it up because there is nothing we can do about it ..

It really is a shame .. they can copy an original part exactly if they so wished.. they could even make the part better .. but no.. ... they just make it look like the original make it of a lower quality .. and we have to suck it up because there is nothing we can do about it ..
Only too true I'm afraid. I suppose one of us "could" start our own company and have good stuff made to sell for a higher price but would folks buy it? Could we compete with Britparts giant marketing machine? Maybe...

Many years ago i worked on the house AC system for the guy who owns Island 4X4, he said when BP wants some thing made thy put the tender out to make a part for this much, he also said the supplier you must never tell them what it is or what it fits other wise thy will flood the market.

Only too true I'm afraid. I suppose one of us "could" start our own company and have good stuff made to sell for a higher price but would folks buy it?
I remember years ago complaining at the Moss counter about some part for my TR6, asked why they didn't offer a better part as an option.... he said "no one would buy it, mate".

Unfortunately most people want a champagne part at a lemonade price.

It is possible to make decent parts, Flying Spares for example offer a three year guarantee on their aftermarket, here's a TRE at £298.
If people didn't buy the tat, then it would be improved.

Lights this weekend, i've been chasing a lighting problem whereby the rh indicator goes dim when depressing the brake pedal. Chased it to the rear lighting harness where someone had wired in for a towbar - towbar wiring seems to be shorting somewhere, so disconnected for now and replaced a couple of the light units which were knackered.

I'm tempted to go LED for the sides/indicators/rears/brake lights.......i know it's not period, but it's tempting.

start our own company and have good stuff made to sell for a higher price but would folks buy it?
HNJ, DDE, Charlesworth and GRC are such companies, and likely satisfied to produce quality engineering at a small scale. BP want to make a lot of money and must cut corners in order to be able to get the wife that third speedboat. Guess they've sold their soul to the beast, because turnover keeps it fed and as it's a hungry beast, low-cost bulk is inevitable.

not quite slimey but slippery for certain
Here's the same rubbish 345435 at Vitesse: notice that the description claims a G for genuine (when it is not) and that Britpart has now become BritpartXS, which claims to be designed to be high-quality and durable, and that Britpart XS is a well-respected brand in the Land Rover community, and their products are known for their quality and reliability.

It was Vitesse that supplied me with a copy Roamerdrive t-box cover, and this was their position when I returned it and rejected their slippery description: By way of some defence of your comment regarding Britpart, the customer has a choice at point of purchase to buy Genuine Landrover, OE manufactured parts or if no longer available a Britpart part that has been made with good intent to ensure these vehicles can be kept on the road. this is even more prevalent today as Landrover themselves are no longer supporting parts supply for many of the older vehicles.

It's the good intent that really riles me.

Today I went to see the old folks, but really I went to give the landy a once over (sssshhhhhhhhh, they think I`m a loving son).
Started after a good few cranks, not surprising seen as how she`s been stood for nearly a month out in the cold and wet.
Adjusted the brakes, which didn't need much to be fair, but noticed a grumble from the osf wheel.
Hmmmm.
Got the front of the avm hub off (eventually), all but one of the springs is broken. Finally got the cog thing off with some slim pliers.....
I couldn't get the actual hub off for some reason- I might have another go tomorrow, this time taking the wheel off for better access.
IIRC the hub should slide off the drive shaft with some "gentle force"?
I packed a load of grease in, and put it all back together.
Looks like I`'ll be doing the bearings once the weather improves.......

HNJ, DDE, Charlesworth and GRC are such companies, and likely satisfied to produce quality engineering at a small scale. BP want to make a lot of money and must cut corners in order to be able to get the wife that third speedboat. Guess they've sold their soul to the beast, because turnover keeps it fed and as it's a hungry beast, low-cost bulk is inevitable.

Here's the same rubbish 345435 at Vitesse: notice that the description claims a G for genuine (when it is not) and that Britpart has now become BritpartXS, which claims to be designed to be high-quality and durable, and that Britpart XS is a well-respected brand in the Land Rover community, and their products are known for their quality and reliability.

It was Vitesse that supplied me with a copy Roamerdrive t-box cover, and this was their position when I returned it and rejected their slippery description: By way of some defence of your comment regarding Britpart, the customer has a choice at point of purchase to buy Genuine Landrover, OE manufactured parts or if no longer available a Britpart part that has been made with good intent to ensure these vehicles can be kept on the road. this is even more prevalent today as Landrover themselves are no longer supporting parts supply for many of the older vehicles.

It's the good intent that really riles me.
Designed to be high-quality and durable? Well respected brand? Known for their quality and reliability?! Those are some very bold claims for a company with their reputation. It just goes to show how if you slap enough shine on something someone will probably buy it. They must be taking lessons from our current Federal Government... 🤮

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions"
Just send them that back. See if they have a clever line for you then.
If you complain to Britpart you are given the official spiel:
"All of our products have undergone rigorous testing and QC inspection, in the unlikely chance you find that a product does not meet these standards please return it to the original vendor where you purchased it, together with the original packaging, where it will be inspected by Britpart QC department, and it will be replaced it free of charge".

Hang on, if I kept the original boxes for everything I've ever bought (just in case I need to return it) it would constitute a fire hazard, so that's not gonna happen - how about they make it properly in the first place?

A supplier told me that Britpart will indeed honour to redeem them for any item returned to them by a customer...
But instead of "passing it on to Britpart for inspection" they are given a credit note, told to dispose of the item and send exactly the same quality piece of crap out to the customer. That's how much they care! :mad:

Back
Top Bottom