• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

wheel nut torque

Hello Chris,

My haynes manual suggests the following:

Steel wheels 108 Nm or 80 lbf ft
Alloy wheels 130 Nm or 96 lbf ft

Hope that helps,

James.

I do my steel wheels on 85 lb ft.

Whatever else you do, NEVER use an impact driver to tighten them.
I thought that was the only thing allowed to be used. Make sure they don't come undone, even when the owner has a puncture in the middle of nowhere, in the dark and wet - and all he has to hand is the toy spanner they put in the tool kit as a practical joke :D

I thought that was the only thing allowed to be used. Make sure they don't come undone, even when the owner has a puncture in the middle of nowhere, in the dark and wet - and all he has to hand is the toy spanner they put in the tool kit as a practical joke :D

No problem, as long as you've got a spare impact wrench with appropriate socket in the Landie at all times (cuz you MIGHT get a flat some day)...

Cheers.

By the way, I put a wee bit grease (any old type, really) on the wheel nut threads when refitting the wheels. This helps prevent the threads rusting up tight and thus makes unbolting the nuts easier.

Cheers.

No problem, as long as you've got a spare impact wrench with appropriate socket in the Landie at all times (cuz you MIGHT get a flat some day)...
Apart from the smiley you seem to have missed :D

I do carry an impact wrench and socket in the 110. It's a 12V one from Wooleys (aah) and is amazingly effective.

Apart from the smiley you seem to have missed :D

I do carry an impact wrench and socket in the 110. It's a 12V one from Wooleys (aah) and is amazingly effective.

Wooleys...? Oh, right, another one of those many one-sound companies that recently bought it in the Great Depression of the 21st Century....

Nut Torque = FT = Fu*king Tight

------------------------------------

The Mean Green Suzuki Killing Machine

------------------------------------

Nut Torque = FT = Fu*king Tight
:D

A friend has had to call it a day (another victim of Crash Gordon's prudent economic policies), and so he no longer has the workshop and all the loverly goodies - vehicle lift, big compressor, windy gun ...

At the weekend I was helping him with some maintenance on his trialer - a minor detail of zero brakes :eek: due to failed master cylinder AND a broken pipe. When it came to removing the wheels, as he's standing on the end of the crack bar, he comments to the effect of "who the f**k tightened these" - the answer of course being himself with the windy gun :rolleyes:

Figures in the June 1997 version of the Land Rover Defender workshop manual:

Alloy wheels - 130 Nm (96 lbf/ft)

Steel wheels - 100 Nm (80 lbf/ft)
Heavy Duty wheels - 170 Nm (125 lbf/ft)

Heavy duty wheels are 'Wolf' type steel wheels.​

Regards,​

Diff​

Back
Top Bottom