• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

1973 SIII 2.25 Diesel Starts and cuts out! HELP !

Domj-03

In Second Gear
Hi,

I have a 2.25d Series 3, bought in good faith from a friend, MOT'd fine ..... won't run!
It starts and ticks over BEAUTIFULLY most of the time, revs okay, sounds fine to me
But it'll drive less than a mile before just conking out!
Feels like fuel starvation, just dies slowly and loses power.
I have already: Changed fuel filter, checked engine and tank breathers, cleaned air filter, fluched fuel system, checked injector pump and injectors (not an expert so probably not well enough)...
The problem has got betterm it runs longer but still cuts out when I demand fuel or put the engine under load!
Can anyone help?

Cheers :)

remove the pick up pipe from the tank. look at the bottom, does it have a gauze thats blocked with muck. if so, remove gauze and try again.

i remember years back, i had a ford d series lorry that did the same....turned out it was a polystyrene ball from bean bag in the tank.....nearly drove me insane. it would float up the fuel line and block it. engine would cut out. ball would float away and it would start.....repeat ad nauseum.............
cleaned out the tank several times and replaced the fuel lines. it would always be in the bit that you were not checking, then the other bit...........aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!

As said above it could be debris in the tank, my other thought is air, could it be the flappy thing in the intake that is supposed to cause a depression for the servo, or the aircleaner over filled or blocked or pipes collapsing , the air cleaner & pipes are easy to rule out, disconnect the pipe at the inlet manifold take it for a drive and see if the problem goes away, I am not a diesel expert but I imagine you can wire the flap open somehow as well.

kevin

Yes there is a breather pipe from the top of the tank. This has a kini in it so is blocked, but even when I unblock it the problem doesn't go away.
I will check everything that has been recommended :)
Gonna be busy tonight!

Thanks a lot guys !! :) FIXED IT !! It was the little filter at the end of the sender un the tank.... FULL of lovely brown jelly. Cleaned it up, blew the pipes out and she runs sweet as anything now!! :)

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom