• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

2.25L Cylinder Head removal

SJGG

In Second Gear
I've got a 2.25L Non Leaded Petrol engine with a suspect head gasket - so the head needs to come off. Only one problem, I can't get the head off! Any advice?
I've gone through the normal removal of aircleaner, exhaust/intake manifolds, rocker cover off, rocker shaft off, push rod outs & spark plugs out. I have 18 head bolts out and can't see any more, but cannot shift the head. I've even tried putting the rocker shaft & spark plugs back in an turning the engine over to try and get the compression to lift the head - but no luck.

Any other tips / techniquess to suggest?

If you've loosened the manifolds (bolts top and bottom, some in some bloody awkward positions, you should be able to see air between them before the head will shift). You've taken the rockers out, along with those bolts. You've taken all the head bolts out. You've pulled all the pushrods out. And you've removed the oil gallery pipe which is in the world's most awkward, recalcitrant position at the BACK of the engine (you'll need to get under it and loosen it from the block rather than the head).

Once you've done that, there's nothing holding the head from slewing side to side, so stick a shackle through the lifting points and give it a tug.

Back
Top Bottom