• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Anyone thinking about going electric ?

Think the only problem is with current materials and the gravity on this planet the weight per square meter is too much. We need a whole suite of new materials and manufacturing processes for something like that.

Likely to be possible somewhere like Mars with current tech….just need to rebuild a manufacturing base there. That’s all!
Wow imagine working on Mars ..your late for work one morning and all that way to go .🤣
This is a really good topic .🙂
We have brains on here ,not in my direction but there here .

Wow imagine working on Mars ..your late for work one morning and all that way to go .🤣
This is a really good topic .🙂
We have brains on here ,not in my direction but there here .
My biggest concern on Mars would be gravity (the lack of it) and what it would do to our bodies. If people colonised it there may be very limited ways back unless gravity can be increased in living and working facilities, same issues astronauts have in extended space stays.

I seem to recall astronauts end up several inches taller as the spine ceases to be in compression. It requires a fair amount of physio when they get back!

Also I’m not that smart, still struggle with some of the jobs on the landy! Unlike some on here😀

Last edited:
My biggest concern on Mars would be gravity (the lack of it) and what it would do to our bodies. If people colonised it there may be very limited ways back unless gravity can be increased in living and working facilities, same issues astronauts have in extended space stays.

I seem to recall astronauts end up several inches taller as the spine ceases to be in compression. It requires a fair amount of physio when they get back!

Also I’m not that smart, still struggle with some of the jobs on the landy! Unlike some on here😀
Mars has gravity just 40%ish of earth so to my mind that could be mitigated by having living habitats above the surface and given a spin to produce artificial gravity on the body for at least half of the day (a bit longer on mars so would be MMT rather than GMT).
Might have got a bit off topic:rofl:.

Sounds like at least 5years!, but like fuel cells you’ll need the network in place. I wonder what changes in the engine itself they had to make, I wonder if materials also had to change ???
I don't like walking past my old compressor when its at 75psi and the thought of a 10,000psi tank under my seat would be distracting whilst driving to say the least.

I bet there was a similar reaction when they announced the phasing out of steam on British Railways.
And yet within ten years they were all gone, at least from mainstream commercial services.
"It simply won't work"
"They'll never have the infrastructure in place"
"We'll still be using steam in 20-30 years time"

This has been / is an interesting and quite an emotive thread and as said by someone further back it seems there’s two camps . Contrary to my comments and postings I’m not a naysayer nor opposed or against the electric car , I just don’t like the bloody things nor am I interested in going super fast over the next quarter mile between traffic lights and being nought point three seconds faster than a burbling V8 ,raucous V6 or an on song twin cam , I love them all .I was the gobby kid at the back of class and to some extent still am all be it an awful lot older and slightly wiser and my posts are never meant to be inflammatory or personal just said with my tongue firmly pressed against my cheek.My point is that we do need to do something about global warming, we do need to look after the environment as I’ve said elsewhere I’ve looked after some miles of river for around twenty years and have seen first hand the changes going on , I’ve worked and still do in two industries that f**k up the environment , all of that said I fervently believe that classic car ownership can be viable without the need to electrify every last one of them . I appreciate that for the most part it’s out of our hands and would only be viable if some of the current infrastructure is still in place ie fuel , parts and the like . I don’t think for one minute that we will still be allowed to drive through cities and large towns once the local councils realise we’re a bigger cash cow than they could ever of imagined ( London,Bristol,Southampton and the list will keep growing ) , maybe we will be the daft ole buggers stuck on the side of the road , fixing our land rovers on the London to Brighton in the pouring rain or is that just standard older land rover ownership. So in the quiet words of Jethro , if I’ve offended or upset anyone, bollocks anyway and they say a picture is worth a thousand words so ………… 0991A80F-5ED6-4F9B-A657-BEB2D7294BA2.jpeg

I bet there was a similar reaction when they announced the phasing out of steam on British Railways.
And yet within ten years they were all gone, at least from mainstream commercial services.
"It simply won't work"
"They'll never have the infrastructure in place"
"We'll still be using steam in 20-30 years time"
Also they’re still running and popular many years after withdrawal

This has been / is an interesting and quite an emotive thread and as said by someone further back it seems there’s two camps . Contrary to my comments and postings I’m not a naysayer nor opposed or against the electric car , I just don’t like the bloody things nor am I interested in going super fast over the next quarter mile between traffic lights and being nought point three seconds faster than a burbling V8 ,raucous V6 or an on song twin cam , I love them all .I was the gobby kid at the back of class and to some extent still am all be it an awful lot older and slightly wiser and my posts are never meant to be inflammatory or personal just said with my tongue firmly pressed against my cheek.My point is that we do need to do something about global warming, we do need to look after the environment as I’ve said elsewhere I’ve looked after some miles of river for around twenty years and have seen first hand the changes going on , I’ve worked and still do in two industries that f**k up the environment , all of that said I fervently believe that classic car ownership can be viable without the need to electrify every last one of them . I appreciate that for the most part it’s out of our hands and would only be viable if some of the current infrastructure is still in place ie fuel , parts and the like . I don’t think for one minute that we will still be allowed to drive through cities and large towns once the local councils realise we’re a bigger cash cow than they could ever of imagined ( London,Bristol,Southampton and the list will keep growing ) , maybe we will be the daft ole buggers stuck on the side of the road , fixing our land rovers on the London to Brighton in the pouring rain or is that just standard older land rover ownership. So in the quiet words of Jethro , if I’ve offended or upset anyone, bollocks anyway and they say a picture is worth a thousand words so …………View attachment 260303
Can't and wouldn't want to argue with any of that. A lot of these conversations would be a lot better over a few pints in the pub really.
Most of my comments are meant to be taken with the humour they were intended but I do find it difficult to articulate that with a bit of one finger typing hence I do tend to unintentionally rub people up the wrong way.
Oh well......

Totally agree that the conversation we are having would be improved over a pint!

Just so you know, no offence taken by what has been said, sometimes playing a bit of the devils advocate to highlight things a bit.

Life is going to be very interesting in the next ten years, how manufacturers address the various issues, how governments tax us, how local authorities deal with cars and access to the cities for us all.

Back
Top Bottom