• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Intermittent engine rattle

boddamese

Accelerating Away
Bit of help needed please...
Defender 300tdi has developed an intermittent rattle from the engine. Sounds a bit like a metallic rustling type of rattle. Happens at idle or any engine speed regardless of car moving or stationary. Dip the clutch when it is rattling and the rate slows down with reducing revs but doesn't go away.

The thing is it comes and goes and sometimes doesn't do it at all before starting again although it has gotten a lot more regular lately. Clutch and gear don't seem to affect it.

I have had vac pump knocking and head gasket noise in the past and it isn't that. It isn't the key in the end of the crank either as that sounded different.

Possible cam belt tensioner bearing? Or injector pump? I would have thought that was constant when engine was running?

It is so random it almost sounds like something loose somewhere. Maybe around the exhaust? I didn't think to look there yet.

Anyone had a similar thing? Would appreciate some suggestions. Thanks. :confused:

Does it seem to move up or dissapear with engine speed? If it dissapears it might be on a harmonic of engine speed so come back at a different speed. If it does this you need to set the throttle to this speed then check heat shields, exhaust bolts etc.

Does it seem to move up or dissapear with engine speed? If it dissapears it might be on a harmonic of engine speed so come back at a different speed. If it does this you need to set the throttle to this speed then check heat shields, exhaust bolts etc.

On my 200 tdi it was the heat shield doing that...

if dipping the clutch changes it then it could be to do with the clutch or release bearing, unless you have very excessive crankshaft endfloat.

I'll have a look at the exhaust area.
Thanks to all for replies.

Back
Top Bottom